Bladder control/function

Neurological Disorders Resources. Treatment and care for pets having pain or trouble walking or standing due to spinal injuries or neurological disorders like IVDD, FCE and DM.
SchnauzerMom

Bladder control/function

Post by SchnauzerMom »

It has been 8 months since Gino had his FCE. He lost rear leg, bladder and bowel control. He has been going to therapy and acupuncture a couple times a month. He has been slowing getting leg function over the 8 months. My question is, you have to teach them to walk again do you also have to teach them how to use their bladder again?

I have just been expressing him and not trying to get him to do the work. Will it just start on it’s own if it’s going to return or should I be doing something to help him remember how to pee?
CarolC

Re: Bladder control/function

Post by CarolC »

I haven't heard of anyone teaching their pet bladder control exactly. It's an interesting idea. To me, especially with a male dog, one idea might be to take him to places he might want to mark and see if at some point he feels inspired to do so? If you can do it safely. Or anyplace that was customary for him to urinate before the FCE? Here are a couple of links to something that worked with one dog, though I don't know if anyone else has tried it.

viewtopic.php?f=5&t=13600&p=71086&hilit=stuffed#p71086
viewtopic.php?f=10&t=1981&p=8376&hilit= ... toys#p8376

You may also find that even if he does not initiate urination, he is helping when you express.
critters
Founding Member

Re: Bladder control/function

Post by critters »

I'm with Carol. None of mine were ever taught that; they just did it when they were able. But, like Carol says, you CAN help motivate them, just like you can walking.