New spinal injury

Neurological Disorders Resources. Treatment and care for pets having pain or trouble walking or standing due to spinal injuries or neurological disorders like IVDD, FCE and DM.
wheeliepom

Re: New spinal injury

Post by wheeliepom »

Yeah, I wouldn't want her to develop a UTI.

We do live in a hot climate (Mexico) but she gets plenty of water during the day and we hang out in a/c most of the time now that summer is on its way. At the moment I'm expressing her bladder every 2-3 hours otherwise she leaks (when moving around, she rarely leaks while sleeping). I'm not sure if it's normal to express this often because her bladder is so small or if I'm just not getting all of it. At night I am trying to express her one time in the middle of the night only to prevent any puddles and maintain a normal-ish sleep schedule. So far she seems very aware of her leaking/wet spots and always moves right away but I won't let myself get too complacent.

I've been experimenting with my microfiber rubber backed bath mat since it absorbs liquids quickly but it's a bit thick and awkward to keep everywhere, so right now it's protecting my sofa. I think those crib pads would work better in bed with me when she likes to snuggle in tight.
CaliCatsMom

Re: New spinal injury

Post by CaliCatsMom »

Hi,

My story was about a cat, but you may find some of it useful. viewtopic.php?f=5&t=19731#p101764

My BFF was 10 years old when she dislocated her back, but I could not give her up. I am happily divorced so she slept with me, too. Even though it meant I had to sleep under waterproof sheets. I had 4 years with her before she cancer that she was too weak to fight. I treasured every day with her. My Angel Cat is with me still. Loved always.