IVDD post surgery

Neurological Disorders Resources. Treatment and care for pets having pain or trouble walking or standing due to spinal injuries or neurological disorders like IVDD, FCE and DM.
iwd

IVDD post surgery

Post by iwd »

Hi guys

My 3 year Frenchie got IVDD surgery on a massive slipped disc 14 weeks ago. Walking great, albeit with a wobble and Vet very happy with her.

In fact, he actually signed her off yesterday saying she’s been making great progress especially as she was paralysed before the surgery.

Then, at the end of her walk tonight, she started dribbling small quantities of pee now and again. She was quick regaining bladder function after surgery so this a new thing.

Now stressing that despite making good progress this is something to be worried about? Or could it just be she was tired and her muscles aren’t as strong as they once were?

Thanks in advance
CarolC

Re: IVDD post surgery

Post by CarolC »

It could be that she was tired as you say. Another possibility that is worth checking is whether she might be getting a little urinary infection. At first you might think that's not likely since she regained bladder control quickly. But actually, while some of her nerves are a little iffy and still recovering, she may be lacking the muscle control to empty completely, or she may be having trouble squatting and relaxing properly because that is a complex maneuver, or she may simply not have full sensation to realize she didn't empty completely. In any of those cases, if she is leaving a little bit of stale urine in her bladder when she goes, it will create an environment where germs can grow, and she could get an infection. It could also be she is not jumping up and running to the door to be let out as often as before (you would know best if that is the case) so she is waiting longer to urinate, and that could cause an infection. I am not sure if any of these situations are the case with your dog, but if it was my dog, I think I'd take her back in to check for an infection. They are usually easily cleared up with antibiotics, and her bladder control and ability to empty should continue to improve, so please do not let this discourage you even a little bit. It sounds like she is doing outstanding!

:trophy:
iwd

Post by iwd »

Thank you for your reply.

That is the first time I have noticed any sort of dribbling so did worry me. She certainly has no trouble going to pee but like you say she could be leaving some in her bladder.

Was concerned that this might have been a sign that her IVDD might be returning as she was losing bladder control
critters
Founding Member

Post by critters »

Some losing and regaining of skills isn't unusual, but I agree that checking for a UTI is worth a shot, because that's not uncommon, either.
iwd

Post by iwd »

Thankfully no more episodes of this so hopefully just a one off.

It’s really stressing me out looking for further signs of IVDD as it came on so quick last time.

Is it normal for my dog to still slightly scuff her back paws as she walks? When I mean slightly I do mean very slightly. Bearing in mind she was paralysed before surgery and she has really improved in this area. The other thing that stresses me is she still chooses to sit with the straight legs seemingly quite a lot. Again she did this after surgery but in crate rest and I’m getting paranoid she’s doing it more.

I’m maybe just being too observant but just want to get peoples thoughts if this is normal 14 weeks after surgery
CarolC

Post by CarolC »

Scuffing is perfectly normal in recovery from paralysis, absolutely. They even make special booties for it, if the nails are being worn down or the tops of the toes are getting too scraped up.

However, you could look at it another way and say that your dog is doing so well, it would equally normal (or in many cases even more normal) for her not to be walking at all yet (with or without scuffing).

Really, the IVDD should not come back. Once they do the surgery, they remove the disk material that was causing the problem. The only way it would come back is if she damaged a different disk. Recurrence does happen with some dogs, but statistically that is rare, only a small percentage. However I don't blame you a bit for watching her closely, I'd be the same way. They do recommend lifestyle changes after a disk problem, such as no stairs and no jumping off of furniture. This is to help avoid another episode.
critters
Founding Member

Post by critters »

iwd wrote:
Is it normal for my dog to still slightly scuff her back paws as she walks? This happens a lot with spinal cord injuries.When I mean slightly I do mean very slightly. Bearing in mind she was paralysed before surgery and she has really improved in this area. The other thing that stresses me is she still chooses to sit with the straight legs seemingly quite a lot.I call that "doll sitting," and, yes, it happens a lot with spinal cord injuries, even very mild ones. Again she did this after surgery but in crate rest and I’m getting paranoid she’s doing it more.