Paralysis in all 4s

Neurological Disorders Resources. Treatment and care for pets having pain or trouble walking or standing due to spinal injuries or neurological disorders like IVDD, FCE and DM.
Skyrain30

Paralysis in all 4s

Post by Skyrain30 »

I have been reading wonderful success stories on this site. I am wondering how many dogs have had paralysis in all 4 legs? My chihuahua has some degree of paralysis in all 4s. The back at the moment is complete and the front is partial. Also his front scapula tip is broken. Because of his size and the thinness of the bone our vet doesn't recommend surgery to pin it. It is early and I have hope that some movement will be regained but his his front will never be 100%. If at least the front or back ends are not completely healed will he be able to get around at all?
CarolC

Re: Paralysis in all 4s

Post by CarolC »

It's too soon to know for sure, but there have been a lot of dogs here paralyzed in all 4s from various causes. Everything from small dogs like a Yorkie named Dukie or several miniature Schnauzers, up to a doberman named Phoebe or a bull mastiff named Bully recovered the ability to walk. I would guess you are going to need to play it by ear and be flexible and make the best of each stage as he recovers.

My best guess is he may need some physical therapy after the vet gives permission. I'm still not sure if he has an open wound on his shoulder, it sounds like he would. They can't close a bite wound because of the germs that come with a bite, so it will just be a while before that closes on its own. But after his rest period, the vet may allow you to do physical therapy. That can include passive range of motion, resistance exercises, and assisted walking. For example, if his hind legs improve first, you can support his front with a harness and leash to help him walk. If his front legs improve first, you can support his rear with a little rear harness or scarf (there are many ways to do this with a chihuahua). If he gets use of 3 legs, or opposite legs, or whatever comes first, you will figure out a way to support him so he can practice walking. My dog's physical therapist told me how her own Yorkie had an FCE. As the dog recovered, they couldn't get him to use all four legs so she actually taught him to use three. Later he became able to use four. A 4-wheel wheelchair can assist in recovery, too. Below I will put some links to kind of start giving you ideas.

Swimming is one of the best ways to do PT, it requires no balance so if the legs have not all recovered on the same schedule, it won't matter. If he is really small, he can swim in the bathtub or a baby wading pool in the back yard. They make little XXS doggy life jackets if he needs one.

Please don't feel tempted to start PT until the vet gives approval, especially with his neck possibly being involved. The rest right now is letting the swelling go down so function can return, and it just takes time. You do not want to risk starting too early and making it worse or undoing the progress that was occurring with rest. Sometimes the hardest thing to do is sit on your hands, but these days and weeks of rest are creating a foundation for him to build on later with PT.

PT can be done at home, especially with a small dog. If you have professional canine PT available where you live, the rehab therapist could show you exercises to do, as well as give him professional PT sessions, if you can afford it. It is great to have professional advice and moral support (if you can afford it), but if not don't worry, you can definitely create your own PT program and work with him every day at home and help him recover.

One thing I imagine you will find out is just how determined pets can be to figure out how to make the most of what they have. And the two of you can have fun working together on his recovery.

http://handicappedpet.net/helppets/view ... mmi#p82122 (small dog walking on hind legs with front harness)
http://www.fourfurfeet.com/2003-page2.html (scarf walking)
http://www.abledogs.net/poppy.html (hydrotherapy at home in a kiddie pool)
http://www.dodgerslist.com/literature/watertherapy.htm (more hydrotherapy tips)

The Internet Archive is returning errors right now. I had 2 websites about quadriplegic small dogs I wanted to give you but right now it is not connecting. Hopefully they will get it straightened out. Anyway, this is a start.
Skyrain30

Post by Skyrain30 »

I'm not too worried about the wounds. He has had one antibiotic shot, the vet has checked it twice pitting inmoint inside the wound and has been taking oral antibiotics as well. My biggest worry is the break in the shoulder may not heal perfectly since it will not be pinned which will leave his front end compromised. And the paralysis may improve but if it isn't 100% in the back end then he will potentially not have a good side. All of the wheelchairs and harnesses seem to require one set of good working legs to compensate for the opposite end. I guess I'm worried he may not have any working legs.

Carol, I so appreciate your help. This site has a ton of info but doesn't seem to have a lot of active users, so thank you.
critters
Founding Member

Post by critters »

I have a little fella who had a scapula break from a bite, and he's also significantly brain damaged. He didn't have surgery and is a functional tripod with that arm. Admittedly the other 3 limbs aren't all that great either, because of the brain damage, but he gets around in a hopping sort of fashion. I second swimming, if you can do that.

Quad carts (4-wheeled wheelchairs) have a lot of adaptability and can be a source of exercise, like a human with a walker. They aren't even all that hard to improvise for smaller critters, although you might have to try several variations before you find one that works well. Eventually you might consider a commercial one, should it still be necessary.