Paralyzed Dog kicking

Neurological Disorders Resources. Treatment and care for pets having pain or trouble walking or standing due to spinal injuries or neurological disorders like IVDD, FCE and DM.
RedKat

Paralyzed Dog kicking

Post by RedKat »

I have an approximately 5-year-old boxer / Dalmatian. Her story starts back in December of 2017. my mother gave us some dog food for Christmas to help me out since I've been having a financial hardship. It was not her normal brand, but we decided to feed it to her anyway. The dog food made her sick and throwing up for roughly a week straight. That was before I can get her normal brand I was hoping that she would be able to get used to it.

After that happened we took her to the vet and she seemed to be doing better. Then about a week after that, she started limping on her right front leg. I wasn't sure what was going on I'm with her all the time as I work from home. She has not had any accidents that I know of unless something happened when I was out grocery shopping or something of that nature. As time went on she got worse and worse until she's now paralyzed in her back legs, and about a quarter paralyzed in her front legs.

She does have the ability to use the restroom on her own both urination and pooping. But she can't stand up without us holding up the back part of her body. we've got her sleeping on a place bed that has mesh on the top and bottom parts of where the dog would lay. That allows her to potty on a potty pad and it just drains straight through so she doesn't have to lay in it.

Because of her weight and the fact that I'm actually the only human that lives in this house I've had a hard time doing physical therapy with her. She weighs approximately 60 pounds. but I have arthritis in my feet, ankles, knees, hips, lower back, left shoulder, left elbow, and left wrist. This makes it very difficult to work with her. But she is still a very happy dog she eats and drinks almost normally I have to hold her up so that she can drink and I just told her food bowl sideways and she licks it up with her tongue even though it's kibble and baked chicken.

She still has deep pain response or did last time that we were at the vet about 3 weeks ago. She was also moving her back legs whenever I scratch her chest or under her front armpits. That stopped happening about a week and a half ago. now over the last 3 days, her back legs will randomly act like they're trying to scratch her side. And I don't know if that is a good sign or if it's just something that happens to paralyzed dog sometimes? I was wanting any advice to help her out. we now have a horse trough that we are heating up hopefully it will be warm enough tomorrow to start some water therapy. and I have a home cold laser handheld device that the rescue that I got her from is letting me borrow. And that seems to be helping also. The spot where this happened is between her shoulder blades on her front legs and about 3 days ago also I went to move her and I had my hand there and on her chest to pick her up I felt something squishy and kind of crunchy, she yelped in pain. It was after that and a cold laser therapy treatment cuz it scared me that her back legs started moving more and she started kicking for lack of a better way of saying it or scratching. And I've noticed that when she poops that's when she does it until I clean up her bed. Once I get the poop off she's happy again. I'm really hoping this is a good sign for Maggie Jo because it's very difficult for me to deal with her weight wise. Any thoughts, suggestions, or comments are greatly appreciated.
CarolC

Re: Paralyzed Dog kicking

Post by CarolC »

Hi RedKat,

I read your post and have thought and thought about it. I am kind of unsure how to reply. Do you remember the kind of food that made her sick? Did you try looking it up online to see if it had a recall?

I suppose it is possible if she was throwing up hard enough, she could have strained her neck? I'm not sure.

If she has bowel and bladder control, I think you have a good chance to get her back on her feet. And if she never lost deep pain sensation, it seems very likely you could get her walking again. Is there anyone who could help you get her up and walking for some exercise every day? I know the feeling of being the only person in the house and caring for a large dog (mine was a golden retriever). There is a limit to what you can do. Do you have a friend who could help and maybe you could trade babysitting or something like that in exchange?

I have no idea what the squishy spot was between her shoulders. If it is still there, I imagine she needs to be checked by a vet. Maybe it's just a simple abscess or something. Strangely, if you rub a dog's fur backward, they can get an inflammation in the base of the hair shafts, like an abscess. I wonder if moving the cold laser around on her fur might have done that. I really don't know. I just know dogs are not like cats or humans as far as what happens when you ruffle the fur backward. It kind of explains it here.

http://dogtime.com/dog-health/52857-abs ... treatments

The biggest question is what the kicking might indicate. It sounds positive to me. If you can get her in the horse tank, that sounds good. But also you could just put her in a pond or lake, too.

I'm afraid this post isn't much help. But I think the swimming sounds like a great idea, and it sounds like she might have the ability to start getting back on her feet, since she has so much feeling and is not incontinent. I hope you will post back on how it goes.

:banner:

P.S. You're not in Texas by any chance, are you?

EDIT TO ADD: Pond only if it's clean
RedKat

Post by RedKat »

Hi CarolC,

Yes, I am in Texas. :) Do I have an accent when I type too? I have no family where I live. I do have a neighbor who helps when she can. She has four girls ages around 4 yrs old to 13 yrs old. So mostly she chases them and plays the taxi driver.

The food was Racheal Rays, but the bought grain free, and that's not what the girls eat. My little dog (14 lbs) GeeGee had no problem with it. But from day one Maggie Jo did.

I have had her in the lake twice. One spot is impossible for me to get to by myself. The one just down from the house she got an ear infection, plus punched me in the face with her from paws fighting not to go. The tank causes less stress for us both. I would love to go back to the one a few miles from the house but the only way in the water is down a tall and steep boat ramp.

In the evening I have been "peddling" her back legs. I don't know if it really helps, but its something that I can do.

Are you also in Texas?
critters
Founding Member

Post by critters »

:whale: If the tank works and is easier, I'd go for it!
CarolC

Post by CarolC »

I don't know why I asked that, it was just a feeling. I'm in the San Antonio/Hill Country area.

Yes, I think peddling her back legs is very helpful. You could also try resistance. In other words, while she is lying down, press up on the bottom of her foot and see if she will push back.

I don't see any recalls on the Rachael Ray dog food, which makes sense since your little dog was fine.

EDIT TO ADD: I do see a lot of people complaining about Rachael Ray grainless dog food.
https://www.dogfoodadvisor.com/forums/t ... -dog-sick/
RedKat

Post by RedKat »

Critters, I plan to check it today around 3 and see if it is warm enough to put her in it. That has been one of the problems with the tank, plus not having help to get her out of it.

CarolC, I'm in Deep East Texas, about 30 miles of the LA border, in the Hemphill area. I really think the dog food was to rich for her. GeeGee could eat a rock and be fine. :) I know for sure I will never get another big dog. Only small dogs that I can handle on my own. That is how this has been when it comes to moving her around and lifting her it's been all on my own. I really wish I could find a way to move her that doesn't hurt me.
CarolC

Post by CarolC »

OK, that's a ways. We're supposed to be in the 100's the next few days if the weather forecast is right. :heat: I hope it isn't, but at least it would warm the water.

I agree, no more big dogs for me either, after taking care of my golden retriever who went down. I made kind of a lift for him out of an engine hoist, but the hoist had pretty limited use since it wasn't very mobile and only lifted "just so high".

http://www.handicappedpets.com/mediawiki/index.php?title=Engine_hoist_for_a_heavy_dog

Here is a link to a company that used to do livestock slings. I don't think they are still doing it, but the pictures are interesting to look at.

http://www.livestocksling.com:80/1024/eng/Goat-All_Products

Oh, wait, I was wrong. Google "Munk's livestock sling". They seem to be sold through vet supply places now. Here's one example, but I see other products on other supply stores. I wonder if you could get a calf sling at the feed store or Tractor Supply or someplace. I don't know. I wonder if it would be big enough.

https://www.valleyvet.com/ct_detail.htm ... gLPg_D_BwE

The thing about getting her out of the tank was what I was thinking, too. You could put a nylon chest harness on her to give you something to grab, but I think it would only work if the tank was full all the way up, and you might end up still having trouble easing her over the rim. I don't suppose there's any chance the tank is under a big tree where somebody could put a winch?

Ear infections are no fun, so that's a bummer about the lake. And I agree, you don't need to be trying to carry her up and down a steep boat ramp with wet tennis shoes and everything. At least not with just one person. :thinking:
RedKat

Post by RedKat »

Hi CarolC

I was looking at all of the links that you posted. They are all good idea's. Yes, it is under a tree, but the tree is hollow inside thanks to the ivy around here. My brother-in-law was trying to set up a pulley system for me using an old swing set but we were not able to get it to work. A few days ago I almost dropped her. I hurt my back to the point that I couldn't stand back for several minutes, and she had to lay on a hard wooden ramp that was hurting her also. She lays here getting worse and worse when she could be up walking by now if I was just stronger. She is miserable and starting to get depressed. I feel like the worst animal abuse in the world. I find I'm starting to hate myself for failing her so completely.
CarolC

Post by CarolC »

Yes, that's exactly the problem. If you injure yourself while trying to help your dog, then you are unable to help. It's like that issue with your back was a warning you'd have to be careful and not overdo it. This is NOT your fault. I had the same situation with Merlin. If something happened to me there would be nobody to provide even basic care. No spouse, brother, sister, or friend. By the time he went completely down, we had moved to a house with new neighbors and I didn't even want to ask the neighbors (which is kind of like you being out on property and nobody right next door). I dislocated a rib lifting him one time and it had me out of commission for over a week. By then I had been caring for him for about 6 months.

http://handicappedpet.net/helppets/view ... ted#p67476

Here was the first post when he first started to go down but was not completely down yet. I think you will be able to relate to the title I gave it at the time!

http://handicappedpet.net/helppets/view ... 24&p=13851

I have told people before based on my own experience, if you really can't do the lifting with a big dog, it is not your fault. It may break your heart and frustrate you no end, but it is not your fault.

I wanted to ask, do you have any kind of harness to lift her? I'm assuming she needs support on both her front and rear legs. Depending on how much or little she can use her front legs, you might be able to lift her with either something like the calf sling, or a horse girth or a canvas firewood carrier. If you can sew, you could maybe create something yourself. Another idea is to take a canvas bag (like a grocery bag or a book bag) and cut it down the sides so it lays flat. Then you have a strong sling with handles.

They do of course make many varieties of dog slings, some with both front and rear support. Some cost more than others, I don't know if you've looked at them. I will give a link. Do you think any of them look like they would work for her? You would still have the issues of arthritis and you'd still have to be careful with your back, but they would let you lift in a more natural way. This is healthier for you. I'm guessing you've just been lifting her with both arms and holding her in front of you against your torso. With a sling you could help her along more like carrying a suitcase, and she might be able to support herself a little more and a little more. Usually if they have any ability at all, when you start to lift them to their feet with a harness, they will try to help. Please let me know if any of these look like a possible solution.

https://www.handicappedpets.com/walkin- ... es-slings/ The Walking' Support Harness is "designed for when pet owner needs to completely pick up and carry dog"
https://helpemup.com/
https://ruffwear.com/collections/harnes ... ro-harness (lift-and-assist implies you can lift the whole dog)

Here is one more idea. You can kind of see it in the photo in the following link. You get a cheap nylon chest harness (like from Walmart or wherever you can find one that is a good fit) and in addition you make a rear "harness". In the case of this link, the rear part happened to be a male doggy diaper with handles on it. Your dog is female and does not need a diaper (if she did she would need a different kind of course), but you could still have a similar waist harness plus a chest harness, and you'd have 2 places to grab and support her. It may not be as convenient as having a full body harness with a single good handle in the middle of the back, but it's cheap and it might be easier than lifting her all the way from the floor to the level of your waist or chest.

https://www.handicappedpets.com/mediawiki/?title=Male_wrap_with_handles

Please let me know what you think.

Are you taking any medication for your aches and pains? If you've been lifting her for 7 or 8 months, you are probably feeling it all the time. I waited way too long to start taking anything. I finally started taking Aleve after I'd been lifting my dog for months, and realized I should have been doing that a long time ago. :medicine:
CarolC

Post by CarolC »

https://www.handicappedpets.com/blog/gu ... oundation/

I wonder if you could get a free loaner wheelchair from the Gunnar's Wheels Foundation. Just saw this in a newsletter. A wheelchair can be used as a rehab tool.
RedKat

Post by RedKat »

She has a wheelchair. She hates it! She only walks backward trying to back out of it. It would be great if she would use it. but she just fights it.
CarolC

Post by CarolC »

A lot of dogs go backward at first. It's very common. Here are some posts about that.
farmdog in http://handicappedpet.net/helppets/viewtopic.php?f=40&t=14320 wrote: Lab can not figure out wheel chair

Postby farmdog » Mon Jan 25, 2010 1:17 pm
I have a 13 year old lab with no mobilitly on her hind legs. I purchased a wheel chair about 3 weeks ago. I have had her in it numerous times and have made several adjustments and she will not walk forward in chair. She only walks backwards until she runs into something. I have tried the leash, treats...Is it possible that she does not have enough strength to pull herself forward? I would appreciate any insight.
:arrow: :arrow: Please read the replies to this post at this link :arrow: :arrow: viewtopic.php?f=40&t=14320
Nancy Bregger in http://handicappedpet.net/helppets/viewtopic.php?f=40&t=13814 wrote: WALKING BACKWARDS IN Walkin' Wheels

Postby nbregger » Fri Sep 11, 2009 12:51 pm
It is normal for a dog to start walking backwards on their first experience. Try to encourage your dog to move forward by offering him/her a treat and praise them when they walk forward. If they get backed into a wall, going forward is the only option left and soon will discover the easeness of forward motion. Make sure the front harness is fitted correctly and extender rails are extended to the front leg. It might just be that they are wanting to sit down.
Nancy Bregger in http://handicappedpet.net/helppets/viewtopic.php?f=40&t=13085 wrote: My dog is moving backwards

Postby nbregger » Mon Apr 13, 2009 11:59 am
If your dog will only go backwards, it's not uncommon. He is just trying to back out of an uncomfortable situation. Try looking at the FITTING OF YOUR DOG topic to adjust the front harness so it's not pulling your dog backwards. Make sure the length extenders are out enough for the dog to stretch out. The rails should end at the front leg.
Usually the staff at the wheelchair company will check to be sure your dog is fitted right if you email them a photo of your dog in the cart. Those people are experts and they can see in a minute what is not obvious to us. They can tell just by looking if something is too short or too long or at the wrong angle.

If you know what brand it is, I can find the support email address for the company so you can email them and see what they say. They are there to help!
RedKat

Post by RedKat »

Here she is, feel free to take a look. :)

https://www.facebook.com/The-GG-and-Mag ... 308555466/
critters
Founding Member

Post by critters »

Cute! As for the water temp, I guess you have the tub sitting in the sun? You could paint the inside of the tub black to absorb more of the sun's rays to warm it up.
RedKat

Post by RedKat »

When it is in the sun it does get warm enough, but I can't get her out. When I have it next to the ramp where I have a chance of getting her out, it's in the shade. This is how my whole life works. We just found a private ramp that none of us knew existed about 1/8 of a mile from the house. I have a really hard time talking to people I don't know, much less asking for something the first time we meet. But I did it. They are letting us use the boat ramp on Monday's, Wednesday's, and Friday's for an hour a day. We have done it twice so far and it has been great! Now if I could just make her weightless so it didn't hurt me so much to lift her. I do have to say the sports cart we got from the Academy has helped a lot. I still have to lift a lot, but at least when I get her in it it's easy to pull and doesn't hurt my back.