FCE -day 7 German Shepherd

Neurological Disorders Resources. Treatment and care for pets having pain or trouble walking or standing due to spinal injuries or neurological disorders like IVDD, FCE and DM.
Rachel454

FCE -day 7 German Shepherd

Post by Rachel454 »

Hello,
I will start with as probably every person here, I have never heard of FCE until 7 days ago. And like you, I have searched and searched for information. I have read all 92 pages worth of information on this link and every other link I can find. I read everything about Bully, (I have tons of questions for bully,s mom but not sure if she is still active here) and I noticed there has not been a post here in almost 5 years, unless I missed it somehow.

I will apologize in advance for the length, typos and maybe jumping around in our story.

My beautiful full blooded German Shepherd had an FCE on 7/13 evening. Rushed to e-hospital where I heard about this FCE for the first time. Put in Prednisone and sent home. Where she in my opinion got worse. The next morning we had totally lost control from mid back down. No control over bladder, bowels or back end. However, they told us she would be back to normal in 5-7 days.
Kept her as comfortable as we could over the weekend and went to a second vet on Monday. Same diagnosis but completely different out come. Second vet encouraged putting her down. Actually said that he would eat his hat if she ever walked again. But we couldn't do it without learning more.
She has very little deep pain response in left leg, none in the right leg or tail. (Still after 7days). Took her to a rehabilitation center for a consultation yesterday. Prognosis not much better in regards to the right leg. They even already mentioned amputation of that leg IF they can get enough mobility to the left leg. (I could live with that if that works for her).
I started researching as soon as we came home on day 1. So I started doing as much exercises for her at home as she would tolerate.
We bought a help em up harness from the rehab place. It so helps to move her around. Using it she shows good movement on the left, nothing on the right and it in fact mostly gets in the way of the left leg.
We have lots of potty issues. She doesn't feel it until after the fact and she looks so pitiful when I clean up the mess and her. Like she thinks she is in trouble.
Prednisone has not made her eat more, in fact she eats less. Started to lower dosage yesterday after reading so much about it here. Because she seems like a zombie. Sits and stares at nothing.
In all my searching, I have not found much about the deep pain response returning. I have read that if she doesn't regain control over bladder and bowels after 3 weeks she probably won't and it may be time to make the hard decision. God I hope it doesn't come to that.
She starts therapy on Monday. Acupuncture, laser and underwater treadmill. Although not all at the same time/day.
As I sit with her day after day, I think back to what I think happened. The week of 7/4 we had lots of company, lots of other dogs. Everything was good, we went swimming, while in the pool when my son and I was trying to help her up on a float she whines slightly, later in the day after another dip in the pool, we thought she hurt her right leg getting out (we do have steps) she had no signs of injury other than avoiding the stops up the back deck. Off and on over the next week, I noticed that she would sometime turn her right back foot under, which I now know as knuckling and a slight sideways walk. Did I miss the signs since I didn't know about this. And now that she is paralyzed with no deep pain, what are the chances of getting that response back.
We are all just so scared and confused. Any information about the deep pain response coming back would be great.
CarolC

Re: FCE -day 7 German Shepherd

Post by CarolC »

Hi Rachel,

I sent Bully's mom a message to see if she is available. Hopefully so!

Have you had a chance to go on youtube and look up videos with keywords like "FCE dog" or "FCE embolism dog rehab"? Aggressive physical therapy is used for treating FCE.

Are you expressing her bladder? There are ways to do it with a big dog. That would help keep her bladder healthy and her skin dry (VERY important) and help her not to feel upset about wetting. There is a lot of information in this link, including videos with demonstrations at the end of the article.

viewtopic.php?f=5&t=16027

:group:
Rachel454

Post by Rachel454 »

Thank you for responding and reaching out to Bully's mom.

We are now on day 8. I think she made decent progress kinda overnight. Maybe some more wishful thinking on some.

I read somewhere about using adult diapers. So I tried that last night. Around 6 am this morning I heard her dragging her claws on the floor of the sunroom, I left her last night in the living room on her pillow, ( I had to sleep in my own bed last night, I needed some sleep even though it didn't come) but any way. This morning when she was in the sunroom, she was near the door going out to the garage, when I seen her I went back to my room and got fully dressed, I thought she was telling me she had to go out. By that time I got back to her, it was to late, we had a mess to clean up. I have to admit, I did not check the diaper on first seeing her by the door. Not sure if this is a good sign or just the wishful thinking.

But here is a good sign. I left her in the garage while I went to make some coffee. Again she was not where I left her. I have been using a camera to monitor her when I can't be with her, which is not often. I went back to watch the video AND she Stood up and hobbled a few steps on her left leg. She was sideways, kinda bent mid back but she did it until the right leg tripped her up. Literally 5 minutes ago she tried to scratch under her chin with the left leg. Didn't quite manage but she tried. Those I know are good signs.

As for potty, she urinates every time I try to get her to stand, even seems to just kinda always leak. How ever, when I try getting her to do it outside she won't. Just sits down. She is going poo decently although no control over that. She seems to only know after the fact and tries to move away from it. Again she won't go in the grass. We go out and sit under a tree or by the flower beds yesterday twice for over an hour and no go.

I reduced the Prednisone down to 5 mg's today. I hope to have her off them by the mid to end of next week.

She has acupuncture and laser treatment Monday. I have read many times that the acupuncture made a huge difference, even after 1 treatment. So my question is what exactly does that mean. Did you see improvement in the real bad leg right away. Am I putting to much hope that after the first treatment I will see some thing in the right leg? After 8days with no deep pain response in right leg or tail does it come back? If it doesn't will she still maybe be able to walk again on that leg. As I mentioned in my previous post, they already mentioned amputation.

Sorry again for such a long story.
CarolC

Post by CarolC »

Hi Rachel,

If she stood up that is great! It will only get better. You want to be careful right now that she does not scrape up her toes or hip too badly dragging. You have to expect some of that, don't panic if she rubs some skin off her toes or something while she figures out walking again, it is normal, but you don't want it to get too bad.

Did you look at the videos on expressing I posted the link to previously? It is important to have her bladder empty completely about every 8 hours. If she isn't doing it herself, you can help. If some stale urine remains in her bladder all the time, it creates an environment where germs can grow, and then you have a bladder infection. UTI is treatable, but it's better to prevent it. Here is the link, with tips and information throughout the article, and videos at the end.

viewtopic.php?f=5&t=16027

As for the return of deep pain, 8 days is nothing. My dog had a spinal fracture and fusion, and they did not find deep pain sensation until 149 days (almost 5 months) after surgery. So it was almost 5 months before she could even feel her toes. I do not think you are going to have to wait that long.

The idea of amputation is something that almost never comes up with FCE because dogs simply tend to recover. What you might expect is, one leg recovering more slowly than the other, and the need for a bootie to protect the leg that is still dragging or where the toes are knuclking under. There are booties like normal dog booties with extra material over the toes that simply protect the foot when dragging.

In addition, there are products to raise the toes if knuckling under. Here is an example.

https://www.handicappedpets.com/no-knuc ... ning-sock/

http://scoutshouse.com/product/thera-pa ... ex-assist/

And also there is the Biko Brace which helps keep the legs from crossing and helps bring the slow leg forward.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ybEoCM1KoRk

But most of all, there is time and PT and...time. :D

Please check your private messages. There is a reply forwarded from Bully's Mom. :wink:
Rachel454

Post by Rachel454 »

Thanks again for your help. I have read and watched every video you shared. I think I might be doing a decent job with the urine. I guess just never positive.

I have been putting my husband's socks on her hind legs. It is a sight to see.

We had the first acupuncture and laser treatment today. Therapist found that she has pain in some manipulation to her inner right leg. She can not explain why. She thinks it could possibly be secondary pain from the pressure sore she is developing on the right butt bone.
Taking her in tomorrow to get a regular x-ray that hasn't been done yet to to see. She said it will probably come back as normal.

Nights are the worst for both of us. She doesn't like being confined but I was trying to get back to my own bed for some much needed rest. But I was back out to the couch last night.
Right now she shows no sign of her normal self. Like there is no spark or even desire to try to socialize with me. No interest in her toys at all.

I did not realize that I have private messages but I figured that out. I will send an email out as soon as I can think straight. I am just so tired and discouraged after the therapy session this morning.
CarolC

Post by CarolC »

Hi Rachel,

It sounds like you are one of those people who are taking very good care of their dog, super attentive, researching everything, trying to find the best way on everything. You would be tired even if you weren't giving it 110%, because the first few weeks of having a dog go down are just very stressful and it takes over your life, especially if it is a large dog, or a dog that is very dear to you and your family. Unfortunately, sometimes friends, acquaintances, and loved ones will say things that are well-meant but not especially helpful, such as, "Why are you doing all this? Why don't you just put her down." And they may see you are tired but they have no idea how much work it is. I have said many times, if you were caring for a bedfast elderly parent, people would understand, but you can do just as much lifting and nursing care with a large dog and they don't really understand. I don't know if anyone has made any comments like that to you. All I can say is, what you are doing is not wasted, and if you can hang in there, it's likely that better days are coming.

My dog's physical therapist said 85% of dogs with FCE will recover, and of the 15% that did not, either the dog gave up or the owner gave up. It is not hard to imagine why the owner might give up, such as if they simply do not have time or the physical ability to provide care, or other things, so they decide to put the dog down. They say that dogs can give up due to various reasons, including a tense or unhappy atmosphere at home, so encouraging and reassuring the dog can actually help the recovery. You've probably read this elsewhere, but one of the things they recommend with FCE is to try to stay positive when present with your dog. If you need to cry or express frustration or worry, it is better to do it out of their presence (like in another room, or in the shower, or go sit in the car in the garage or wherever you feel comfortable). You know that statistically she is likely to recover, but all she knows is that right now it's all a bummer, so anything you can do to cheer her up is helpful.

You said you were sleeping on the sofa. Do you have any other way to sleep downstairs comfortably? Would a sleeping bag and a yoga mat or a futon work any better? Do you have any other options? I don't know what your sofa is like, it might be too short to stretch out. You definitely need your sleep. If you see how many "sleep" smilies are on this board, it's because of what an issue it is for caregivers of disabled or temporarily disabled pets.
:snooze: :countsheep: :offtobed: :sleepingdog: :morning:

I was going to share a link about turning your dog. It is a nice webpage that even features a German Shepherd.

http://www.mzjf.com/turn-dog.htm

I'm glad you're doing pretty well on the expressing. That's one thing that will help keep her dry and help prevent sores. Something that might be worth trying is, when you get her comfortable lying on her side, take a disposable baby diaper and open it out flat. Use scissors to clip the elastic if it keeps wanting to fold itself back up. Then tuck it under her bottom so if she leaks the diaper will absorb the urine.

You mentioned she tends to wet when you get ready to lift her. Here is an idea someone came up with when their dog, Chelsea, had the same problem.

http://handicappedpet.net/helppets/down ... &mode=view

I like this video because it shows a dog with a paralyzed leg, and what recovery kind of looks like. It also shows how they put a boot on his foot when he was still dragging. The only thing is, please don't go by the timeline it took him to recover, because every case will be different. Your dog might improve more quickly or less quickly, but this is a nice video to show how it gets better bit by bit. :)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ts6i7E2MTZc

Hang in there! Every day she is recovering a tiny bit more.
Rachel454

Post by Rachel454 »

It has been a few days since my last post. She had a full day yesterday at rehab. They said they think she tried to use the right leg while on the underwater treadmill. Then she pooped in the pool so things got a little haywire.
They also said they think she is starting to feel something In her toes of the right leg. I am going to say that it has to be a good sign.

The vet said I was doing good at empty bladder process. We make a mess in the process but we get it done.
My problem is keeping her rotated. I can't keep her off the right side enough and she is getting a bad sore. It is really red and a little yellow. I put antibiotic ointment on her this morning. What are we supposed to use and what can I do to pad it? Her harness hurts it when I pick her up and the belly band lift just does not really work.
CarolC

Post by CarolC »

I would call the vet in the morning and see if they have some ointment for it, and try to pick it up before they close, it's important. There are foam donuts that can help relieve pressure, the vet may have one. The donut has to be kept 100% dry or it will make it worse. If the rehab place has a wheelchair they will lend or rent to you, that helps keep the pressure off, but time in the wheelchair is pretty limited, like between maybe 30 min to a max of 2 hrs for most dogs (ask the rehab how long), and you have to be home to monitor. Can you put a rolled kitchen towel or similar in the appropriate spot on her harness to help keep pressure off that spot? You say you are having trouble keeping her off her right side. Do you mean she is turning herself? You know it is OK to grasp her by the root of the tail to help get her on her feet, right? Can you use the belly harness plus hold the base of her tail to lift her?

One example of a homemade sling (perhaps to use temporarily to prevent irritation of the sore) is at this link.

:arrow: :arrow: http://www.alldogssite.com/paradegoldie7.html

The following is a photo of a homemade sling someone posted on this forum. I'm sorry I've forgotten who it was right now, or I would give them credit.
Sling.png
I am not sure exactly where the sore is (often it's the hip bone) so this may or may not help, but one family created the "bra butt" solution, of padding a spot with a woman's undergarment.

:arrow: :arrow: viewtopic.php?f=30&t=13152
Rachel454

Post by Rachel454 »

I will try the towel on the harness. The sore is right on her right boney "butt cheek" , however while again searching through the forums, I came across a post about the beds and various types of absorbent things to use. It was a really old post but made complete since to me. So I just ordered her an orthopedic bed from dogbeds4less.com and a whole bunch of what is called gorilla pads. (Supposed to hold 8 cups of water while keeping moisture away from the kids, really kids. So I hope that will work for my 4 legged kid). All that should be delivered on Sunday.
I have forced her to the left side more frequently today. And have tried to get her out and standing in the yard more. Right now the spot does not look so red. But we have a battle of Will's about what side she wants to lay on. It is currently about 50/50 on who wins the longest. I just don't want to cause the issues on the left side.

Carol, you have been my guiding light during this. I can't thank you enough for helping me and for helping me keep my hope. I have so much more going on right now other than Sheba. So much to worry about. But you help me to help her. Even if I don't get it completely right. I still have hope. Some time it is harder than others to keep it, but I read your post and I feel better. So again thank you for being so patient and kind to both of us. And every one else on this forum.
CarolC

Post by CarolC »

The gorilla pads sound really good. :smart: I have not heard of them. They sound like something a lot of people here might find useful. I hope you will report how you think they work when you've had a chance to try them.

Glad the expressing is going well. :trophy: Thank goodness we don't get graded on neatness, right?! :hysterical: It sounds like you are expressing her standing up? When you say it's a mess, is her tail getting in the way, or is she dribbling on your shoes or something like that?

Eros's mom (Eros was a male GSD) found a way to stand her dog up and straddle over him and clamp his sides between her knees, holding him up. That left her hands free when she squeezed his tummy. With a female dog you would probably want to stand over her chest while facing in the direction of her tail, kind of like riding a horse sitting backward, so the urine goes out in front of you.

If she is dribbling on her fur, one thing that makes cleanup easier is to shave the areas that get wet, for example under her tail, maybe down her breaches, the inside of her legs, wherever you think would help. It isn't that visible and it will grow back soon enough. The vet can do it for you, it's called a sanitary clip. Just don't let them run the clipper over the spot you are trying to protect. They do it for furry dogs and long haired cats as needed, and it can really help in situations like this.

Doodling in the treadmill or pool happens. One thing that may help is trying to stimulate her to eliminate before her session. There are several nice tricks to make this happen. One is to apply an icecube to her bottom. There is also a way to stimulate with a Q-tip dipped in Vaseline, or by pinching, and other methods. They are described in this article (sorry I did not give the link before). If you do it indoors, just put a puppytraining pad under her and be prepared with a box of kleenex and put a bunch of tissue over the doodles as soon as she goes to suppress the smell. I would not hesitate to do it indoors myself, but if your husband is sensitive about that, or your dog is uncomfortable toileting indoors, then outside might be better. You can do it with her lying down as well as standing up.

:arrow: :arrow: viewtopic.php?f=5&t=18586

I am glad you have been able to kind of keep the sore under control. Do you think she is rubbing it when she drags herself around, either in the grass or the garage or wherever? It is hard to keep them from dragging unless you have an x-pen or you can baby-gate her into the bathroom or laundry room or something. There are several things that go into a so-called pressure sore. They do not always start from simple pressure on an unpadded area. They can come from friction (like dragging) or skin breakdown (especially urine). If friction is part of her issue, I wonder about diapering it. If the place that is getting rubbed is a location that would be under a disposable diaper if you put one on her, that might help. Diapers do not just absorb urine, they provide good protection for pets that drag on their hips or bottom. They make children's disposables for children up to 125 lbs, and they also make adult diapers. Another idea is to put a pair of men's or boy's underwear (like traditional Fruit of the Loom cotton knit briefs) on backward with the tail through the fly. It would be a little protection from friction (like the socks but not as thick).

There is something else called a drag bag, that is designed to protect the skin on pets that drag, but I'm not sure it would be appropriate for her, since she is working at getting on her feet. This getting-back-on-their feet phase is when you will frequently see scrapes and boo-boos, and you are trying to protect the skin with boots and vetwrap tape and clothing, and they keep you busy. Rajah's mom (117 lb female dog) ended up getting children's foot pajamas for her dog and cutting out the seat, because Rajah kept dragging down the stairs and scraping herself up. Sometimes you have to get creative, and if family members want to laugh or complain, well, it is only temporary. :wink:

I'm not sure what else you have going on, but wouldn't it be nice to be able to have just one crisis or emergency at a time? I don't know why everything has to happen at once, but too often it seems to. There used to be a book titled, "Why Me, Why This, Why Now?" I think there are times we can all relate to that. :( Very best wishes during this time.
CarolC

Post by CarolC »

Hi Rachel,

I'm not sure notices are sending right now, so you may not get a notification of this post. I was wondering how the gorilla pads are working. There used to be something called Palace bedding, which was fleece an inch thick that allowed moisture to flow through and kept the dog dry. As far as I can tell, they are not making it anymore.

CorgiAid (a website for disabled Corgis, many paralyzed) recommends the Humble Hound Flow Through Crate Pad. I have never tried them, and boy are they expensive, but this is what it says:
http://corgiaid.org/wp/cart/product-links/ wrote: Humble Hound Flow Through Crate Pad These crate pads allow pee to flow through to a towel or pee pad below the bed, and help to keep your incontinent corgi dry and clean.
EDIT TO ADD: Looks like they still sell Palace fleece
http://www.usaknit.us.com/category-s/75.htm
Rachel454

Post by Rachel454 »

I really like the garilla pads. They kept her bed and her dry. I had to wash every day. I ordered 6 of them at $20 each from Amazon.

Unfortunately, my girl did not make it. My husband and I made the decision last week. Sheba was so miserable. She would start whining and crying when it was time for rehab. I could hardly get her in the door.
She would shake so bad when we tried to get her harness on her. She just didn't like the whole thing. And it was so hard on us to force her to do the things that she didn't want to do. We could not keep watching her be so miserable.
We spent a few days giving her all her favorite things. It was a very hard choice but I don't think it was fair to her, to keep putting her through that, just so we could keep her.
We spent 5 weeks with extensive rehab and home swimming with no improvements. And she was starting to get very bad sores from trying to drag and follow my husband.

She is deeply missed.
CarolC

Post by CarolC »

I'm so sorry it didn't work out. You will always know you tried and had her best interest at heart. She was fortunate to have such a loving family. I'm sorry for your loss. :(
critters
Founding Member

Post by critters »

I'm sorry for your loss, too. :( Sores can be SO hard to heal.