11 weeks from being paralyzed

Neurological Disorders Resources. Treatment and care for pets having pain or trouble walking or standing due to spinal injuries or neurological disorders like IVDD, FCE and DM.
Autumnjones1996

11 weeks from being paralyzed

Post by Autumnjones1996 »

After 11 weeks of being paralyzed in his back legs my 5 yo dachshund is starting to walk again. He has all feelings in his back legs and has been walking a little for the past few days. However today he hasn’t been walking as much as the days before. I was wondering is this normals with the recovery process? I do realize he won’t be back to normal over night but I worry that this is a bad sign.
CarolC

Re: 11 weeks from being paralyzed

Post by CarolC »

Not sure what is going on with him, but dogs do have their off days. You might keep an eye on him in case he is getting a urinary infection. It sounds a bit like what happens with Katie. When she gets a UTI (and I am not saying your dog has a UTI, this is just an example of when Katie is not feeling well) her walking goes all to heck. I can tell when the antibiotics begin to work because her walking improves again. It is never a permanent set-back, it just shows she isn't feeling well. I really think since walking is more of an effort for dogs who recover after weeks or months of paralysis, it only takes a little to throw them off their game. Once their overall condition improves, they get it back. Glad to hear about the progress! :)