Sudden hind legs paralysis

Neurological Disorders Resources. Treatment and care for pets having pain or trouble walking or standing due to spinal injuries or neurological disorders like IVDD, FCE and DM.
stacey

Sudden hind legs paralysis

Post by stacey »

Hi everyone. I am new here. My shih tzu’s hind legs suddenly became paralyzed just 2 days ago. According to the vet, it is tick paralysis because she had some ticks hiding beneath her skin. But, aside from that she had never pooped since then and can’t voluntarily pee. I feel so bad, what happened to my dearest dog? She is happy and healthy few days back but all of a sudden it happened.. is there still a chance for her to walk again?
CarolC

Re: Sudden hind legs paralysis

Post by CarolC »

What country are you in? If I were you, I would go online and see if the ticks in the country where you live cause paralysis. Not all ticks cause paralysis. Just because there are ticks, does not mean they caused the dog to be paralyzed.

On the other hand, a shih tzu is a breed of dog that is prone to intervertebral disk disease (IVDD), and it can cause paralysis.

If your dog has not urinated for 2 days, you can help her urinate by squeezing her tummy to make her pee. This is called expressing the bladder. The bladder needs to be completely emptied every 8 hours to ensure she does not develop a bladder infection. If your vet did not tell you about this, I would find a better vet.

Here is an article with information on expressing the bladder. At the end of the article are many videos showing people expressing their pets.

viewtopic.php?f=5&t=16027
critters
Founding Member

Re: Sudden hind legs paralysis

Post by critters »

:whale: Many vets don't think that the rest of us can learn to express, never mind that THEY weren't born doing it, either. Do you have more information now, 4 days out?