Devices to encourage leg movement in wheels

Neurological Disorders Resources. Treatment and care for pets having pain or trouble walking or standing due to spinal injuries or neurological disorders like IVDD, FCE and DM.
Jenna123

Devices to encourage leg movement in wheels

Post by Jenna123 »

Hi

Peppa now has some wheels which she loves, she has also gained some movement in her legs and gets around the house a bit using them. I wondered if there was anything I could use with her legs to encourage her to use them while on wheels, she currently uses the stirrups and kicks them in their but thought if they were on the ground she would strengthen them more.

Any ideas????

Jenna
CarolC

Re: Devices to encourage leg movement in wheels

Post by CarolC »

That is very cool that she is moving her feet in the stirrups. :D You could use the wheelchair as a rehab tool by adjusting it so her feet touch the ground when they are out of the stirrups, then let her walk in it with all 4 feet. Then the wheelchair becomes a "walker". Do not be surprised if she gets scuffed toes or wears down her nails, it is part of recovery. It takes time for them to be able to place their feet pads down without knuckling. My advice would be to put her in the cart for a while with her feet in the stirrups and let her run off some of her energy. Then when she is calmer, if you put her hind feet on the ground she will be less likely to scuff her toes as much due to running around eagerly and excitedly. (If she is a calm dog, then you may not have to let her burn off energy.)

I don't know how much she weighs, but if she is small there are some exercises I could give you a link to.