Mystery paralysis

Neurological Disorders Resources. Treatment and care for pets having pain or trouble walking or standing due to spinal injuries or neurological disorders like IVDD, FCE and DM.
CarolC

Re: Mystery paralysis

Post by CarolC »

Me too. :grouph:
clonmel08 wrote: Wed Nov 27, 2019 11:08 am The Dr said steroids next but then that would be the last option.
This is for information only. Prednisone may not be the last option. There's an expert at UC Davis who tries other steroids if he's not satisfied with the results from prednisone. Excerpted here, highlighting added:
https://www.vin.com/apputil/content/defaultadv1.aspx?pId=12886&catId=57109&id=7054907 wrote:
NAVC - How I Treat Myasthenia Gravis
World Small Animal Veterinary Association World Congress Proceedings, 2014
Richard A. LeCouteur, BVSc, PhD, DACVIM (Neurology), DECVN
University of California-Davis, Davis, CA, USA

Drugs available include pyridostigmine bromide (Mestinon®, 0.5–3 mg/kg, orally BID or TID) and neostigmine bromide (Prostigmin®, 2 mg/kg/d, orally in divided doses to effect)
Use of immunosuppressive drugs is controversial, particularly as a "first-line" treatment, due to the high incidence of aspiration pneumonia (particularly in dogs) and the potential for glucocorticoids to exacerbate muscle weakness.* * * Prednisone is the initial drug of choice
Other immunosuppressive agents (e.g., azathioprine, cyclosporine, cyclophosphamide, mycophenolate mofetil) may be recommended in dogs where use of glucocorticoids is contraindicated, should adverse effects of glucocorticoids become difficult to manage, or if there is an inadequate response to prednisone.
Bet he loved the homemade beef stew. :chef:
clonmel08

Post by clonmel08 »

We are pretty certain we will have to let Robin go by the weekend. He has been paralyzed now for 5 weeks. It has been frightening and exhausting for him. The Dr told me the prednisone would cause further muscle wasting. Is there is any muscle left to waste? He is a sad shadow of his former lively happy self. Quality of life is all that's left. He is a skeleton. The paralysis is causing breathing difficulty and we are so afraid of inhalant pneumonia when we trickle water into his mouth. He has had fluids twice now. I would like him to feel his limbs again before he goes so that he doesn't die helpless. I hope the steroids gives him that at least. We dont want to give up but we cant watch him suffer much longer. We will give the pred time to see a difference. Your comments have been so helpful and kind. I wish things had turned out differently.
LisainCAN

Post by LisainCAN »

You have fought so hard for him. Take heart in knowing that you have gone above and beyond for your little man. You and your sister are truly the best kind of people there are.
CarolC

Post by CarolC »

I had so much hoped when you got the tentative diagnosis, the medication would work. You are only being realistic. My heart breaks for the whole situation. I am and always will be so very, very sorry.
CarolC

Post by CarolC »

I don't want to post this but I am. It may explain why they wanted to do an ultrasound on the 19th. If that's the case, I am beyond sorry.
https://www.merckvetmanual.com/nervous-system/paraneoplastic-disorders-of-the-nervous-system/overview-of-paraneoplastic-disorders-of-the-nervous-system wrote:
Paraneoplastic myasthenia gravis (MG) has been strongly associated with the presence of thymic disease. MG can manifest as systemic weakness, or more focally, especially as megaesophagus. In one review of canine thymoma, 47% of the dogs had MG, 33% had concurrent nonthymic cancer (including pheochromocytoma, mammary adenocarcinoma, or pulmonary adenocarcinoma), and 20% had concurrent signs of polymyositis. Dogs with thymoma-associated MG often have antibodies to nicotinic acetylcholine receptors, which can be used to diagnose and/or monitor treatment response. These dogs may produce autoantibodies to several other neuromuscular antigens, including ryanodine (a skeletal muscle calcium-release channel receptor) and the muscle protein titin. Other tumors that have rarely been reported to cause MG include osteosarcoma, lymphoma, and bile duct carcinoma.
FYI

Post by FYI »

https://vth.vetmed.wsu.edu/specialties/ ... hagus/faqs
Inflatable E-collar or neck hug – These collars help elevate your dogs head while sleeping and may cut down on regurgitation and possible aspiration at night on even during the day while crated. Possible options for inflatable collars include Kong Cloud, Pro-collar, or BooBooLoon. Wagtailfarms.com can custom make neck hugs for your pet.
clonmel08

Post by clonmel08 »

We actually imaged by x ray for tumors of the thymus and megaoesophagus three weeks ago and day before yesterday.
E had our vet come to the farm and we let Robin go. He was having trouble swallowing and breathing in spite of the prednisone. She said we should have seen some small improvement not symptoms worsening. We are so very sad and in shock
Bless you all for your kind and knowledgeable support. We hope Robin is running with his brother now.
CarolC

Post by CarolC »

I am so sorry this terrible situation left you with no other options. You tried what should have worked and it didn't, and if anything it seemed to be progressing even faster in the end. The only thing the article showed was that there are several additional forms of cancer that have been reported to cause MG. Whether he had any of them and whether they would have been caught on ultrasound I don't know, but if they had he'd have been spared an extra 10 days of decline, and you would have been spared the last 10 days, too. There is a lot of experience with the more common forms of paralysis on this forum, but MG or whatever similar condition this was, is nearly never posted here. I am sorry there was not more to offer. It won't help Robin, but if they sent the AChR antibody test off to UC, they will get the results in the next 10 days or so. Maybe you will at least know what took him from you.

I am so sorry. He is safe now. I keep thinking he must have had 15 years of happiness in 11 because he had the farm and the barn and the field and a brother and the most loving family he could ask for. No wonder he was so crazy happy. I am so sorry for the loss to you. Deepest condolences to you and your sister.
LisainCAN

Post by LisainCAN »

I am so incredibly sorry for you and your sister.

What a beautiful way to set him free. He was surrounded by the people he loved, at home on the farm.

This thread, and Robin's legacy, will be too encourage others who have similar problems to reach out for support and to advocate for their dog.

One day, I hope you can find it in your hearts to add another lucky dog to your lives. :grouph: :grouph:
clonmel08

Post by clonmel08 »

Thank you Lisa. I don't have to tell you how devestated we are. To wake up this morning to find no little dog to greet me. Walking out to the barn and not seeing his little self running into the woods. My life revolved around my dogs, though I have a cat and rabbit and parrot, it was truly the dogs I was closest to. I wish you dear pup had survived too. Why are we given these to love only to rip them away. The universe seems very cruel today. Thank you for thinking of us
critters
Founding Member

Post by critters »

I'm so sorry for your loss. You all certainly pulled out all the stops for him, but there are still things medicine can't fix. :cry: