Acute non-compressive nucleus pulposus extrusion

Neurological Disorders Resources. Treatment and care for pets having pain or trouble walking or standing due to spinal injuries or neurological disorders like IVDD, FCE and DM.
Liz and nels

Re: Acute non-compressive nucleus pulposus extrusion

Post by Liz and nels »

Hi there.. Its been a while!! Thought I'd post a little update. Its been 5.5 months since Nelly's ANNPE (which went through more than 90% of her spinal cord across the length of 3 vertebrae). Progress has been very slow and intermitent (as one would expect!). I've continued with home PT, and hydro once a week (until lockdown). On good days she can just about get herself up and take a few steps without falling, she can stand for most of her dinner and one day she got herself all the way from the lounge to the kitchen.. I turned round and she was just stood there 😀. Sometimes it feels like she's gone as far as she's going to go, then she does something new.. Like gets her leg half way to her neck when she has an itch. I just worry that if she is going to recover to some form of unassisted ambulation she should be a bit further on by now? I know nerves take a loooong time and recovery is on her schedule not mine but do you know if any dogs that have not really been walking by 6 months then do recover to unassisted walking?
CarolC

Post by CarolC »

It took my dog, Katie, 9 months to walk again, but she did! You can see her story here.

I know exactly what you mean when you say you think maybe she has gone as far as she's going to go, and then she does something new. From what you say, it certainly sounds like she is going to walk. One thing people here have noticed is, it may seem like a glacial pace for a long time, and you may only notice slight improvement occasionally, but once they get to a certain point of recovery things start to pick up.

Something that helped my dog a lot when she was almost ready to walk, was going down slopes. We found all the sloping sidewalks in the neighborhood, and I would start her at the top and put her on her feet and she'd walk down. It was great fun.

It sounds like you are getting close. One problem when they start walking can be crossing the feet and tripping, so don't be surprised if that happens, that is normal! :D Your dog will eventually learn not to trip but it may take a while. PT helps with that. The physical therapist can probably work with her on that if needed.

It's a shame the lockdown interfered with your PT, but it's great to hear she is doing so well! Excited for you...and her!
Liz and nels

Post by Liz and nels »

Thank you Carol. Although Nelly's injury is completely different to Katie's there seems to be quite alot of parallels. Like, she'll do something amazing once (like walk from the lounge to the hall) then just as I'm thinking "great! something to build on" she won't do it again. She is also leggy and was super-fast/gymnastic (bit bigger at 40lb - my back is shot!) and handstands a lot. I have problems with her shoulders getting really sore - usually remedied by rest, heat packs and massage). We can't harness walk nearly so much as you did.. I find 10 minutes at a time several times a day is enough or the back legs get fatigued, the front gets sore and we go back a few weeks. We're not quite at 6 months yet and she has on one or two occasions managed to walk/wobble on her own ~10FT, so I'm guessing she'll do this again some time when she's ready, then it will hopefully become more frequent and further gradually. She also has one much weaker leg.. The left shakes almost constantly when she puts weight through it and she often just picks it up and it hangs there (until I remind her she has a foot!). Sounds like you had a really good team behind you which must've really helped. I hadn't seen much significant progress last couple of months so was a bit anxious but Katie's story makes me feel better. So thanks! My bottom line is this: she is basically happy (sure, she gets fed up sometimes), playful, affectionate and otherwise in good health. While this is the case, I will never give up on her. We will just keep going with home PT and hope one day she can walk on her own. Incredible to think Katie was still progressing after >4 years!