Hind limb paralysis after fho surgery

Neurological Disorders Resources. Treatment and care for pets having pain or trouble walking or standing due to spinal injuries or neurological disorders like IVDD, FCE and DM.
Kpc1024

Hind limb paralysis after fho surgery

Post by Kpc1024 »

hello! Need some help! My 2 year old cat broke his hip. He came home from fho surgery with a paralyzed leg on the same side where the surgery took place. He can move his hip/knee but when it gets down to the “foot” it is limp. The neuro eval said he had a bit of feeling in the paw but he has zero reaction if I touch it. The believe it is sciatic and femoral nerve damage. I am devastated and hate seeing my little guy drag his left leg along. Has anyone else been through this or something similar? I start PT next week. I will so wverything I can to help him along. Does he have a chance to regain function? Success stories? Anything.
Thank you in advance for responses. This whole situation has me very upset.
critters
Founding Member

Re: Hind limb paralysis after fho surgery

Post by critters »

:whale: Nerve damage has a huge chance to heal!! Be VERY aware of letting him drag the foot and/or walk on it funny--he can get skin damage and/or contractures, and contractures are particularly difficult to treat. I suggest a splint to hold the foot in the position of function; the splints here at HP were good the last time I had my paws on them, some years ago. My Koi Boy, who was spinal cord injured from being shot in the spine, had a contracted foot that was impossible to repair even with surgery. I can't stress prevention strongly enough. https://www.handicappedpets.com/rear-leg-support/ The hock splint won't work with the paw, but the bootie splint might, and the long one should. You'd have to check all that out before buying. Once a contracture sets in you're talking about custom products, which are expensive...
Kpc1024

Post by Kpc1024 »

Thank you so much for your response. I feel hopeful! Tomorrow will be our first PT session. I am hoping them can recomend the right splint.
I didn’t know about contracturea before, thank you for the info.
Thanks again and Happy Holidays!
critters
Founding Member

Post by critters »

Thanks. Y'all too!

I had a little girl, Tristalyn, who had a brachial nerve injury from being hit by a car. I was about to order her a splint when she suddenly started getting better. She eventually had a full recovery and was adopted as a normal cat.
Kpc1024

Post by Kpc1024 »

That is great news! The poor kitty went through a lot. Im glad she got better! I feel more hopeful now!
CarolC

Post by CarolC »

Happy holidays to you, too! :D