Nerve damage and constipation

Neurological Disorders Resources. Treatment and care for pets having pain or trouble walking or standing due to spinal injuries or neurological disorders like IVDD, FCE and DM.
Kpc1024

Nerve damage and constipation

Post by Kpc1024 »

:( im very concerned that my cats constipation may be a result of his recent leg paralysis. Has there ever been a connection? If he cnt poop we have. Big problem. I an extremely worrie. Maybe it is a fluke and not connected but I am very upset
CarolC

Re: Nerve damage and constipation

Post by CarolC »

Yes, there could be a connection. In a paralyzed pet the bowel still works but it may be slower. In addition, things like stress, pain from surgery, medication, not drinking enough, or lack of exercise can have an effect. The vet can give him a stool softener like Lactulose Syrup which is safe for pets and will make things easier for him. Another option may be Miralax, ask the vet about the dosage. Many human constipation medicines are not safe for pets, so check with the vet. They also recommend you feed the cat canned food (or even mix a little water in it) instead of dry food if he is constipated. You want to get his bowels moving properly before he becomes really constipated. If that happens he may need an enema, or he may even need to have the vet clean him out manually under anaesthesia.

:confetti:
Kpc1024

Post by Kpc1024 »

I saw the vet and they said it maybe an after effect from the pain meds he was on from the surgery. Let’s hope that is why!!
Thanks fir the response! Happy Holidays!
critters
Founding Member

Post by critters »

That makes sense.