We think ivdd... new to this

Neurological Disorders Resources. Treatment and care for pets having pain or trouble walking or standing due to spinal injuries or neurological disorders like IVDD, FCE and DM.
Kboeckmann

Re: We think ivdd... new to this

Post by Kboeckmann »

That’s exactly how I feel, I’m very excited f oh r her and I know she is too because now all she wants to do it try to move but I do not want her thinking she’s super dog and makes it worse where it won’t heal! It’s a fine line of do a little but not much. The vet said that’s great news and maybe let her walk a few steps but that’s it for now.
angel1612

Post by angel1612 »

My dog who is half Weiner dog half Pomeranian got diagnosed with IVDD a little over a year ago when he was 4. He was very active, healthy, not overweight just solid muscle. One day he had an accident where he pinched a nerve and he had some problems but we kept a close eye and took him to the vet and a year went by and his back never bothered him. Then, last year he was acting funny and didnt want to come to bed with me like he usually does, so I spent the night on the floor with him and he had an accident on the couch which was so unlike him. A couple days later he sneezed in the middle of the night and he jumped the wrong way and slipped a disc. He was in my parents room that night because i was at a friends house and in the morning he couldn't move his back legs and had accidents. He had the same symptoms your dog is having, he can move his legs and even stand up on one and he isnt in pain, he is the same dog- but without working back legs. The 5000 surgery to help him walk was just out of the picture, my family didn’t have thag kind of money no matter how bad we wanted the surgery especially since he is so young & my entire world. We did crate training and to this day he can’t walk, just a few steps every now and then. He even went to the chiropractor and it wasn’t making any progress. We have diapers that I line with women pads to help absorb the urine ans gets 2 baths a week to help with the urine burn. He has a wheel chair, drag bag and even socks & hates them all. We have tried over and over but nothing works. He eats the socks off and the dragging of his feet makes a huge cut on his feet. The drag bag he poops in all the time and still manages to take off. I just put cream on his cuts and spray it with wound care to help it as much as I can. its been a year since hes been paralyzed and he sleeps in my bed (on his own blanket) and is still the spunky, active and loving dog he was when he could walk. Its alot of work & it has been very depressing for me to see him go through this, especially to him out of all dogs. This is alot but it feels nice to know I know my dog and I aren’t the only ones going through such a similar journey.

Im sorry that this has happened to your dog, but the adjustments aren’t terrible (in my opinion) and hopefully your baby is still able to drag itself around and enjoy life!
Kboeckmann

Post by Kboeckmann »

Aw I’m very sorry you pup is going through this as well, thank you for sharing your story with me. It’s very sad to see our best pals go through this. Sophie is making some improvements but we don’t know when the progress will stop. They said she may only recover a little or could recover fully. Thank you for sharing again and I hope you and you pup the best!
critters
Founding Member

Post by critters »

:welcome: angel!