Progress! Using leg but shaking it like he wants to get something off of it

Neurological Disorders Resources. Treatment and care for pets having pain or trouble walking or standing due to spinal injuries or neurological disorders like IVDD, FCE and DM.
Kpc1024

Progress! Using leg but shaking it like he wants to get something off of it

Post by Kpc1024 »

Little Hesse broke his hip and after the surgery his leg was paralyzed. With physical therapy, acupuncture, and time he regained almost full use of his leg. Recently, he has been shaking his leg as if he is trying to get something off his paw. I looked at his paw and nothing is there From what I could see. The paw is sensitive and he wont let me handle that paw much. So, I don’t know if this is part of the last stage of his nerves healing? Has anyone experienced this? I cannot bring him to the vet right now bc we are in NYC and I am not sure I want to get in a cab and sit in a waiting room right now. When it is a bit safer to be out I will bring him.
Any tips? Thoughts? Thanks so much.
critters
Founding Member

Re: Progress! Using leg but shaking it like he wants to get something off of it

Post by critters »

He's probably feeling something funny, like pins and needles or something, because of the nerves misfiring. I'd get him on gabapentin, or the newer stuff, ASAP. Maybe the vet that saw him before would call it in to a pharmacy; it's not that uncommon. I'd also get an Elizabethan collar on him ASAP until it's under control because it's possible that he could chew some serious damage into the limb trying to fix it.

:strobe:
CarolC

Post by CarolC »

I agree, telemedicine is a great idea. :idea: Hopefully you can call or text or facetime your vet and describe what's going on and see if you can get some medication without an office exam.

Yes, there is a temporary phase some dogs go through during recovery from paralysis where they apparently feel a pins and needles tingling sensation. As critters was explaining, some of them will begin to lick or chew the area, and some have actually done serious damage to themselves, because they do not stop when they start to draw blood. You'd think they would stop, but they don't. I know of a couple of dogs that did so much damage while the owner was not there, that they could not be saved.

We didn't used to have anything for this problem. Now we do. Gabapentin (Neurontin) is a lifesaver. The first time I saw it mentioned was 2004. People have posted that some vets are also using another medication called Lyrica (pregabalin) for this purpose. I don't know anything about it, but it may be another option.

But until you can get him on medication, I would do as critters says and put a lampshade collar on him just to be safe, in case he is tempted to chew. Collars are not a guarantee, dogs can get out of them, but it may help for right now.

Think I just repeated everything critters said! :blush:
Kpc1024

Post by Kpc1024 »

Thanks guys. Luckily, I have some gaba from when I initially saw the vet in the beginning. We stopped because he seemed to be doing so well. I will ask for a online consultation. It is the best we can do for now.
Thank again!!
critters
Founding Member

Post by critters »

Lyrica is the newer, more expensive one.