Pitbull with Ivdd needing some help

Neurological Disorders Resources. Treatment and care for pets having pain or trouble walking or standing due to spinal injuries or neurological disorders like IVDD, FCE and DM.
TracyDawkins

Pitbull with Ivdd needing some help

Post by TracyDawkins »

Hi I’m new here. It’s so hard to find information on large dogs that this has happened to so maybe someone can help. Dawkins herniated a disc at L2-L3 on May 11 he soon became paralyzed on the back end 4 hours later. The neurologist suggested surgery 24 hours later and i agreed. He came home wagging his tail but still paralyzed. 8 days later he declined and the tail stopped wagging. Rushed him back and found fluid in his muscles around the spinal cord. Another surgery 5/21. So now he is back home. He started physical therapy on 6/1 and he has a cone because he likes to chew his back feet. He started stretching and when he does he is now stretching his back toes. He also will wag his tail after pooping. My questions are: what are the normal length of time of recovery for this type of surgery? What is the best physical therapy for a larger dog? How long does the pins and needles phase last in their toes?
CarolC

Re: Pitbull with Ivdd needing some help

Post by CarolC »

Hi Tracy, replying in blue...

:banner:
TracyDawkins wrote: Sat Jun 06, 2020 5:48 am Hi I’m new here. It’s so hard to find information on large dogs that this has happened to so maybe someone can help. Dawkins herniated a disc at L2-L3 on May 11 he soon became paralyzed on the back end 4 hours later. The neurologist suggested surgery 24 hours later and i agreed. He came home wagging his tail but still paralyzed. 8 days later he declined and the tail stopped wagging. Rushed him back and found fluid in his muscles around the spinal cord. Another surgery 5/21. So now he is back home. He started physical therapy on 6/1 and he has a cone because he likes to chew his back feet.

There is another way to treat the chewing than using a cone. As you know, the cone is inconvenient for the dog eating and drinking and is uncomfortable. It can also fail because dogs do get out of them, which can happen when you are not there to watch him. Some dogs have done serious damage by chewing, so it's best not to risk it. There is a medication that can treat the "pins and needles" that cause chewing. It is called gabapentin (Neurontin). The first time I saw it mentioned was 2004. People have posted that some vets are also using another medication called Lyrica (pregabalin) for this purpose. It may be another option.

He started stretching and when he does he is now stretching his back toes. He also will wag his tail after pooping. My questions are: what are the normal length of time of recovery for this type of surgery? What is the best physical therapy for a larger dog?

In my opinion the best physical therapy is hydrotherapy, either on an underwater treadmill or swimming. Here is a link about physical therapy after IVDD surgery.

http://www.dodgerslist.com/literature/m ... rcises.htm

How long does the pins and needles phase last in their toes?

I have never heard a set length of time on how long it lasts. It is a side effect of the feeling coming back in his feet, and how long it takes for the feeling to come back would vary from dog to dog. It sounds like he is doing well, from what you describe.
critters
Founding Member

Post by critters »

:whale:
I second Carol's reply about meds. I've used them, as have my critters, and they can help. You might want to use a cone as well, but he may be more comfortable with meds.
TracyDawkins

Post by TracyDawkins »

Thank you for your responses! He is on a heavy dose of Gabapentin, trazadone and Valium. It appears as the feeling is coming back in his legs and feet he just wants to chew the nails off. I do have a cone but at night he just goes insane in it. It’s basically an all night battle trying to keep him from banging against the cage, barking.. I’ve tried putting him just in his bed, then a secured pen ..

Something about the night time
critters
Founding Member

Post by critters »

Hmm. I wonder if the vet could Rx something special to knock him out at night so you can get some peace?
CarolC

Post by CarolC »

Hi Tracy,

Supposedly Lyrica (pregabalin) is stronger than gabapentin for the neuropathy/chewing. You might ask the vet about that. It sounds like you are using a heavy dose of the gabapentin and it isn't working. I understand pregabalin is more expensive.

It really can be a serious problem if the dog manages to get out of the collar and chew. I would not want to trust the collar alone. There was a dog here who chewed his p*nis off, one that amputated some toes, and I know of 2 that had to be put down because they did so much damage when the owner was asleep or away from the house, that they couldn't be saved.

I do not know if it will help the nighttime, but they say running a fan pointed at the dog is calming to some dogs.

Did he used to sleep in the bedroom? Do you have an extra crate you could put by the bed for nighttime? I have no idea if it would help.