Curly Calf Syndrome

Neurological Disorders Resources. Treatment and care for pets having pain or trouble walking or standing due to spinal injuries or neurological disorders like IVDD, FCE and DM.
FYI

Curly Calf Syndrome

Post by FYI »

HandicappedPets.com Youtube channel wrote:Ruby Sue is a baby cow that was rescued by Safe in Austin Rescue in Austin, Texas. Ruby Sue was born with "Curly Calf Syndrome," which affects her spine, hips, and legs, causing rear leg paralysis. Walkin' Pets donated a Walkin' Wheels wheelchair to Ruby Sue, and she is pictured here taking her very first steps!
October 2020 Walkin' Pets Newsletter wrote:Disabled at birth, 15-day old calf Ruby Sue is getting a second chance at life and taking her first steps. Rescued by the Safe in Austin Rescue, Ruby Sue’s back legs were fused together, with only her front legs to support her, Ruby was unable to stand or walk on her own.

Walkin’ Pets stepped in to help, building Ruby Sue a custom cow wheelchair that will grow with her as she gets bigger. Now, with the help of her new wheelchair, Ruby Sue is able to stand on her own, allowing her to get the exercise she needs to strengthen her front legs and learn how to walk for the very first time.
critters
Founding Member

Re: Curly Calf Syndrome

Post by critters »

I was looking at that baby a few minutes ago. I see why they went with the quad--that poor baby's severely disabled. I also wonder if "paralyzed" is the right adjective since it says her legs were fused. My disability nerd coming out, I guess!! :mrgreen:
CarolC

Re: Curly Calf Syndrome

Post by CarolC »

I wondered about that, too. Maybe she has both. I never heard of curly calf syndrome. Seeing her in the quad cart reminded me of Munk's Livestock sling if she outgrows the quad cart.

Munks_livestock_sling.jpg
http://www.munksmanufacturing.com/bovine.html wrote:Lightweight, durable sling aids in getting a cow on her feet and regaining proper circulation. Cows can eat and drink and the udder can be treated or milked as needed. The sling can be used to support the animal over extended periods of time, while allowing the repair of muscle and nerve damage.
Munks_livestock_sling_photo.jpg