When I Syringe Feed Paralyzed Dog, She Gags. What do I do?

Neurological Disorders Resources. Treatment and care for pets having pain or trouble walking or standing due to spinal injuries or neurological disorders like IVDD, FCE and DM.
MissKaty

When I Syringe Feed Paralyzed Dog, She Gags. What do I do?

Post by MissKaty »

My dog became paralyzed last month due to bad disks in her spine. She was eating fine despite her injuries, but in the last week she stopped. My vet said she's depressed and told me to syringe feed her. After I do, she sometimes does a jerking head movement like she needs to throw up. So far she hasn't actually thrown up, but will look like she needs to. Is this out of character for syringe feeding? She's very weak due to lack of food, so I want to get some calories down her but I'm worried about her response to syringe feeding.
CarolC

Re: When I Syringe Feed Paralyzed Dog, She Gags. What do I do?

Post by CarolC »

Hi MissKaty,

How many days has it been since she was paralyzed?

Some dogs will develop upset stomachs during a disk episode, especially with certain medications. Is she on any meds? Here is some information. Did the vet mention giving her a stomach protectant?

https://dodgerslist.com/2020/05/06/stomach-protection

When you are syringe feeding her, is she lying in the same position as she was when she was successfully eating and swallowing before?

What kind of a dog is she?

:welcomepink:
MissKaty

Post by MissKaty »

She's been paralyzed for 3-4 weeks. She was eating fine all along and then last week she stopped. She's a lab and taking gabapenton and previcox for pain and cefpodoxime as preventative for UTI. He didn't say about a stomach protectant. Should I ask him if I can give her a pepcid? Today I tried to give her a little calorie supplement through a syringe and she spit up. :(
CarolC

Post by CarolC »

I would definitely talk to the vet and describe what is going on. I'm not a vet, but there has to be a reason why she was eating fine and now is spitting up.

Previcox is an NSAID. Here is a link that says some NSAIDs can be hard on the liver and kidneys in some dogs, and Previcox can cause nausea and eating less. A lot of meds are hard on the GI tract.

There is also a rare chance that a down dog may develop bloat. It is very uncommon but is more likely in a large, deep-chested dog.
https://petvm.com/pain/60-previcox.html wrote: Serious side effects associated with NSAID therapy in dogs can occur with or without warning. The most common side effects associated with Previcox therapy involve the digestive tract (vomiting and decreased food consumption). Liver and kidney problems have also been reported with the use of NSAIDs.
I'm not really impressed that the vet told you she was depressed and to syringe feed her. Tell him you tried what he said, but she is gagging and spitting up and depression does not cause gagging and spitting up. Maybe he will change her med. Maybe he will give her a stomach protectant (Pepcid or there are several others). Maybe he will want to bring her in to test her liver values. I don't know. But I think your instincts are right and something is going on.

Is there a chance she is quite constipated? If so, the vet can give you something for that. If her stools have changed in the past week, that would be something to report as well.
https://www.cuteness.com/article/side-effects-cefpodoxime-proxetil-dogs wrote: Cefpodoxime proxetil, marketed under the brand name Simplicef, is an antibiotic strictly for use in dogs and cats. Most canines tolerate the drug well, but a small number of dogs taking the drug might experience side effects. These are primarily gastrointestinal in nature. If you notice any side effects while your dog receives this drug, call your vet immediately.
https://vcahospitals.com/know-your-pet/cefpodoxime wrote: There are very few side effects of cefpodoxime. The most commonly reported side effects are vomiting, decreased appetite, and diarrhea. If these effects worsen, become severe, or continue, contact your veterinarian.
MissKaty

Post by MissKaty »

I talked to my vet today, and he said that she "gave up," and that's she won't eat. I don't believe her problem is emotional since her response to syringe eating is involuntary gagging/spitting up. That's physical, not emotional. I looked up drug interactions, and there aren't any risky interactions with pepcid, so I'm going to start giving her some and continue with syringe feeding. I have nothing to lose at this point. If she can't keep down food, she'll die. :cry:
CarolC

Post by CarolC »

I agree that's physical, not emotional. It sounds like your vet is no help, and you need another vet. Maybe you have another vet you have gone to before? Or maybe you have a friend who can recommend a good vet? Tomorrow is Sunday and we're in the middle of a pandemic (depending on where you live) so appointments can be awkward. Here where I live the vet will not let the owner into the clinic. They come get your dog, you sit in the car, and they call your cell phone to discuss. It's a little frustrating because I'd rather be there in person, but it works.

I thought of another possibility, which is pancreatitis. It can be brought on by rich food, stress, or sometimes for no reason. But I would think since she is on 2 meds that can both cause stomach issues, that is the place I would look first. Dogs can go several days without food, so I wouldn't panic too much (though I think you said she hasn't eaten very much for several days). In the past my vet has said to offer plain cooked white rice if my dog is sick. To be honest usually my dog won't eat it, but it is easy on the stomach.
FYI

Famotidine interactions

Post by FYI »

https://www.marvistavet.com/famotidine.pml wrote:
INTERACTIONS WITH OTHER DRUGS

Antibiotics of the cephalosporin class (particularly cefpodoxime) may not work as well when given with famotidine. It is best to separate their administration by at least 2 hours.
critters
Founding Member

Post by critters »

I agree about possibly trying another vet, but I know that can be a problem these days, in particular. Not every vet is willing to deal with disabilities because they take extra time, research, etc. :whale: