Congenital buckled spine

Neurological Disorders Resources. Treatment and care for pets having pain or trouble walking or standing due to spinal injuries or neurological disorders like IVDD, FCE and DM.
critters
Founding Member

Re: Congenital buckled spine

Post by critters »

Your unorthodox PT is the kind of stuff that would happen to me! :mrgreen:
Milo's Mom

Post by Milo's Mom »

@ Critters. I am prone to accidents and slapstick comedy, it's just that now it is serving a purpose by loosening up those frozen joints and muscles. :D
critters
Founding Member

Post by critters »

At least you have a good attitude about it, and you might win "Funniest Videos" one day!!!
Milo's Mom

Post by Milo's Mom »

Last year at this time Milo was barely two months old and not mobile, so he's never seen snow. Snowstorms are rare in southern Tennessee, so when the world was white this morning I was determined to take Milo out and introduce him to every Pyr's favorite fluffy stuff. He was completely uninterested, barreling through the snow to reach the fence and trade insults with Barkley, a male dog more than twice his size. "Maybe he's not paying attention to the snow because he can't reach it," I pondered. I held a snowball up to his nose. He sniffed it, then looked at me and said, "Smells like water, Mom." Then off he went again, this time to talk trash through the gate to Luke, a nine month old male who is easily triple his size! He's tiny but he sure thinks he's tough.
Attachments
Milo in the snow 01-03-22.JPG
CarolC

Post by CarolC »

He's beautiful!!! :wub: From the world's cutest puppy to a gorgeous filled out adult with that thick ruff and major confidence (thanks, Mom!). :D I guess he could still grow a little more (maybe?) but he was 40 lbs in August. Is he holding at under 50lbs after 14 months? Compared to a possible 100 lbs? Whew!
:snoopy:
So good to hear from you! They were talking about 2" up in north TN and a half inch down south (around Memphis where I checked), but it looks like you got a lot more than that! That looks like 4" at least. Really good to hear he is so strong he can power right through it. Funny that he's not intrigued with the snow itself when it's in his genes. :lol:
Milo's Mom

Post by Milo's Mom »

Milo topped out at 40 lbs and stayed there. It's a blessing for me because I can lift him when I'm in a hurry instead of rolling in the patient lift, though if no one else is available to aim his back legs for the leg loops on the wheelchair I can do it myself with the lift. He produces a prodigious amount of Pyr sized poop, so I know his weight isn't due to starvation. :) My biggest problem is I like to keep a comforter under him for padding, but he EATS them. I have a new litter of puppies in the bedroom requiring a clean comforter every day and had to use a newer comforter for Milo, one without any holes. That one is now spread around the kitchen in pieces and piles. Winter is not a good time to look for thrift store or yard sale replacements. I'd like to find some kind of bed for him that he can pull himself onto, but most are too flimsy and will just bunch up under him. The more solid orthopedic beds I fear will be destroyed like the yard sale comforters. With his fluffy coat he doesn't seem cold on the vinyl floor, but if I lift up his butt and say, "Walkie, walkie" he will scramble right onto his bedding again.
CarolC

Post by CarolC »

I feel your pain. The thrift shop or Goodwill Clearance is where I like to get baby blankets/quilts I use for both dogs and cats. They are obscenely expensive on eBay, but that's where I've had to shop since the pandemic. No idea why they want so much for their baby blankets on eBay.

I have a Waterhog door mat in the porch by the back door and my one dog likes to lie on that. It's unbending rubber on the underside and carpet-y stuff on the top, but not soft. She doesn't chew things, but it is rigid enough that she'd have a job turning up a corner to start on it if she wanted to. I doubt it would taste very good. Black rubber probably doesn't taste any better than it smells. It's enough to get her up off the floor. You can hose them clean, turn them on their side, and they'll drain dry pretty quick, at least ours does. It's almost like a carpeted boot tray? :lol:

https://afm.waterhogfloormats.com/water ... iece-mats/

Thanks for posting his weight. I'm really-really glad it worked out that way. The information may also help someone else with a giant breed puppy decide what to do in this situation.
:thankyou:
Milo's Mom

Post by Milo's Mom »

I will check on those mats. Before I used comforters, I bought 3x5 rolls of indoor/outdoor carpet. He yanked at the threads and unraveled them. The floor mats might work better.
critters
Founding Member

Post by critters »

:wub: Such a BAD boy, but he's mighty cute!! :lol: