Congenital buckled spine

Neurological Disorders Resources. Treatment and care for pets having pain or trouble walking or standing due to spinal injuries or neurological disorders like IVDD, FCE and DM.
critters
Founding Member

Re: Congenital buckled spine

Post by critters »

The baby goat toter is TOO cute!! :wub:
Milo's Mom

Post by Milo's Mom »

Great Pyrenees were bred as livestock guardian dogs for farms and ranches and relatively new in the U.S. compared to most pet breeds. Farmers in past generations had a "hands off" method of raising them, believing that they would bond more closely to the livestock. Livestock guardians were not socialized, not brought into the house, and culled when they were unfit for duty. I still run across some of those idiots (and my puppies don't go to those type of homes) but in the last twenty years most have learned that their dogs perform their jobs even better if they love their people and receive attention and praise. Very few GP breeders use genetic screening or OFA testing before breeding their dogs, and not many would keep a puppy like Milo and commit to a lifetime of care. When I researched OFA statistics for common conditions in Great Pyrenees, some conditions only had a sample pool of 28 dogs. While not prevalent in GPs, I think Milo's condition could appear in any breed, especially if he is crowded in the uterus between larger puppies with nowhere to grow except upward.

I didn't think I'd ever have another dog as bonded to me as Sally, a Walmart special parvo terrier picked out of the litter in the back of a parking lot on Valentine's day after the death of my previous husband. Sally has spent every hour and adventure by my side. Sally is 17 now and nearing the end of her life. I envisioned my next forever dog as something the size of a chihuahua, easily picked up and carried by an old lady. Guess God had other plans for me. :)
CarolC

Post by CarolC »

I found the following abstract interesting. It talks about whether treatments like anti-inflammatories or physical therapy are helpful. The conclusion is that it's progressive even with treatment, though they do not say whether treatment slowed the progression or had other benefits. I think physical therapy is wonderful. It is possible you may not be able to do much with that one leg, but it's certainly worth a try. I had Dolly in professional PT for months and they were unable to get any flexibility in her knee joint of her hind leg. It moves at the hip but does not bend at the knee, so she uses it the way it is. But at least I know we tried.
https://avmajournals.avma.org/doi/full/10.2460/javma.253.6.768 wrote: OBJECTIVE To characterize outcomes following nonsurgical treatment of congenital thoracic vertebral body malformations causing neurologic deficits in dogs.

DESIGN Retrospective case series.

ANIMALS
13 client-owned dogs treated nonsurgically for congenital thoracic vertebral body malformations at 3 veterinary referral hospitals from June 2009 through May 2016.

PROCEDURES Data were extracted from the medical records regarding dog signalment, duration and type of clinical signs before referral, general physical and neurologic examination findings, radiographic and MRI findings, and treatments provided after diagnosis. Follow-up data were obtained from records of recheck examinations and via a standardized owner questionnaire.

RESULTS All included dogs were screw-tail brachycephalic breeds with a median age of 6 months. All dogs had ambulatory paraparesis and ataxia, and in 1 dog, signs of spinal hyperesthesia could be elicited. Nonsurgical treatments consisted of restricted exercise without (n = 5) or with (3) physiotherapy, physiotherapy without restricted exercise (3), and no exercise modification (2). Seven dogs received additional nonsurgical treatment consisting of prednisolone (n = 5) or gabapentin (2). Four dogs were eventually euthanized because of progressive neurologic deterioration, 2 underwent surgery for the same reason, and the remaining 7 dogs survived for ≥ 170 days after diagnosis, despite progressive neurologic deterioration.

CONCLUSIONS AND CLINICAL RELEVANCE Nonsurgical treatment of congenital thoracic vertebral body malformations was associated with an unfavorable outcome in this group of dogs. Despite this treatment, all dogs had progression of clinical signs.
CarolC

Post by CarolC »

Another double post, sorry. You said you thought it could probably occur in just about any breed, and I am going to compile the breeds I can find listed in reliable reports. There are quite a few. I'll put in what I can find, and if I find another breed it will be added later.

https://www.gesunde-bulldoggen.de/files ... n_dogs.pdf
German Shorthaired Pointer
French bulldog
English bulldog
Yorkshire terrier
Pug
Fox terrier
Pekingese
West highland white terrier
Pomeranian
Doberman pinscher
Crossbreed

https://www.embracepetinsurance.com/hea ... ivertebrae
Boston terrier
Puggle
German shepherd

https://core.ac.uk/download/pdf/222832225.pdf
Rottweiler
Labrador retriever

https://www.hsvma.org/assets/pdfs/guide ... orders.pdf
Afghan hound
Border terrier

http://www.akcchf.org/canine-health/bre ... jsp?page=5
Cardigan Welsh Corgi

https://www.therealjackrussell.com/breed/diseases.php
Jack Russell terrier

https://www.dickwhitereferrals.com/butt ... e-problem/ (Specialty hospital England)
Chihuahua
Dachshund
Maltese

https://www.sciencedirect.com/topics/bi ... gy/spaniel
from Veterinary Neuroanatomy and Clinical Neurology (Third Edition) 2009, Chapter 10
Beagle
Milo's Mom

Post by Milo's Mom »

Physical therapy may or may not improve his condition, but it certainly can't hurt. Every night when he's lying next to me I massage and gently work the joints in both legs. The stiff one was really stiff, but now has a tiny bit of movement. I have seen him use the stiff leg to support himself if he's worried I'm going to drop him while getting into the wheelchair. ONCE he squirted forward out of my arms and I caught him at the hips to dangle his nose four inches from the floor. He has a memory like an elephant.

You said awhile back that it would be good if he'd recognize a command when I wanted to pick him up so he could brace himself. I realized today that he already does. Every time I'm going to lift him to take to the kitchen for wheelchair time, I say, "Want to go for a walk?" He immediately turns around an crawls a couple steps like a toddler trying to escape his mom. It finally dawned on me that he is not running away; he stops and waits on the bed while propped up on his elbows so I can loop an arm under his chest and pick him up. He's most comfortable with his back to me and my arm around his chest, and he positions himself to make that possible. Dang dog is smarter than me!
CarolC

Post by CarolC »

He's got it all figured out. What a smart and helpful dog, and only 5 months old. You are working together. He is helping! :smart: :wub:

Dolly does something a little like that for a similar reason. She wears a diaper that velcros on both sides, but she only has one leg so I only have to unfasten the velcro on one side to take it off. More than once I have unfastened the wrong side and tried to pull it off, tugging on her leg. :roll: :oops: Now in self defense, when she sees me coming with a fresh diaper, she lies over on her side with the leg side up so I'll be sure to unfasten the correct side. She's drawing me a map. She's smarter than I am! :blush:
Milo's Mom

Post by Milo's Mom »

:lol:
CarolC

Post by CarolC »

:D

Here is another good citation, especially the last sentence. It does say it can occur in any breed. They point out the difference between lumbar and thoracic hemivertebrae.
https://www.sciencedirect.com/topics/biochemistry-genetics-and-molecular-biology/spaniel wrote: Recall that we believe the delay in the onset of clinical signs in dogs with this thoracic vertebral malformation occurs because as the dog grows, kyphosis develops at the site of the malformed vertebral bodies. In time, the kyphosis causes compressive myelopathy in the spinal cord at this site. Remember that spinal cord malformations cause clinical signs to be observed at birth or as soon as the animal is able to walk, and they do not progress. Although the literature suggests that this disorder is more common in the brachycephalic breeds, any breed can be affected. See the description of this disorder following the differential diagnosis for Case Example 10-5. Video 10-16 shows an 8-month-old beagle from a research laboratory. The dog has progressive spastic paraparesis and pelvic limb ataxia due to this vertebral malformation. Note the visible elevation of the malformed midthoracic vertebrae. Fig. 10-21 shows the thoracic vertebral radiograph of this dog. The vertebral malformation has often been referred to as a hemivertebra but in reality it is a much more complex vertebral malformation.
Milo's Mom

Post by Milo's Mom »

I scanned the article, waited until the next day to read it fully, then got lost in a maze of scientific articles pertaining to every term or symptom description fitting Milo. Totally forgot to answer you! Whatever the original thread or thought I read, I agree. Milo could have a hereditary disorder that's not often diagnosed in Great Pyrenees but is possible in any breed. It could also be some combination of events in the womb that selected him to be the lucky candidate for my next forever dog. I don't breed my girls past age 6, so Milo's should be her last litter.
CarolC

Post by CarolC »

Hope everyone at the Milo house is warm and cozy. Thinking warm thoughts your way!
:cold:
Milo's Mom

Post by Milo's Mom »

Milo has already changed our lives for the better. The kitchen has become a hub of activity and Milo spends a total of 6-7 hours a day there surrounded by a three ring circus. My sister is here every day with her four 5 lb Yorkies who have learned to play with him by darting in and out, making sure to stay clear of his Sumo wrestler paws. We brought a 3 month old Great Pyrenees puppy in who is waiting for her new home and she wrestles like a tomboy, pouncing, rolling, jumping, and play biting. We have 3 week old baby kitchen goats in the house being bottle fed, and let them out of their pen to romp. (They think Milo is a climbing gym and he loves it!) My 17 year old terrier mutt used to lie in the bedroom all the time, but now comes into the kitchen and tries to play like a puppy with Milo, the Yorkies, and the big puppy. My 10 year old niece comes here to do her homework and plays with all the animals. The adults all sit around the kitchen table feeding baby goats, supervising dog play, telling the youngest Yorkie that she is not a herding dog and should let the baby goats out of the corner, helping Milo into and out of his wheelchair, talking, telling stories, and laughing. The only downside is that it's 6-7 hours a day I should be outside cleaning kennels and taking care of farm chores. At least it's making me slow down and enjoy some down time.
Milo & Pretty Girl 02-13-21.jpeg
Milo & his buddy.JPG
Milo & goat 02-13-21.jpeg
critters
Founding Member

Post by critters »

Milo's Mom wrote: Mon Feb 15, 2021 11:32 am Milo has already changed our lives for the better. The kitchen has become a hub of activity and Milo spends a total of 6-7 hours a day there surrounded by a three ring circus. My sister is here every day with her four 5 lb Yorkies who have learned to play with him by darting in and out, making sure to stay clear of his Sumo wrestler paws. We brought a 3 month old Great Pyrenees puppy in who is waiting for her new home and she wrestles like a tomboy, pouncing, rolling, jumping, and play biting. We have 3 week old baby kitchen goats in the house being bottle fed, and let them out of their pen to romp. (They think Milo is a climbing gym and he loves it!) My 17 year old terrier mutt used to lie in the bedroom all the time, but now comes into the kitchen and tries to play like a puppy with Milo, the Yorkies, and the big puppy. My 10 year old niece comes here to do her homework and plays with all the animals. The adults all sit around the kitchen table feeding baby goats, supervising dog play, telling the youngest Yorkie that she is not a herding dog and should let the baby goats out of the corner, helping Milo into and out of his wheelchair, talking, telling stories, and laughing. The only downside is that it's 6-7 hours a day I should be outside cleaning kennels and taking care of farm chores. At least it's making me slow down and enjoy some down time.
Milo & Pretty Girl 02-13-21.jpeg
Milo & his buddy.JPGMilo & goat 02-13-21.jpeg
Awww!! :wub:

My brain damaged tripod permakitten uses his bad arm as a kickstand, but that's all. He can't bend it or do much else with it, but it suits him. :D
critters
Founding Member

Post by critters »

PS--I LOVE goats!!! :hearts:
CarolC

Post by CarolC »

EDITED at 3:25 PM: Sorry I have been offline with a power outage in Texas. Love the pictures of Milo and his family. What a happy kitchen! :wub: :wub: :wub: The other puppy looks about the same size but stockier. He looks like he's sure enjoying himself.

1:15 today they turned the power back on. They say some people still do not have power and our water pressure is low because of lack of electricity to refill the water supply, and a boil water notice, so not sure how long we'll still have power and I'm not going to do anything that uses a lot besides our absolutely necessary pet laundry.
:wash: :laundry:

That is one thing about having an incontinent dog, you use up a lot of laundry. I had 4 clean sets of bedding and 6 diaper covers, and I used them all up, and stuff doesn't dry very fast in this icy weather when you hand wash. Preparedness for an incontinent pet is more than just having Poise pads on hand, it's the linens that'll get you! :lol:
Milo's Mom

Post by Milo's Mom »

@Critters: To him, Milo's stiff leg is just another body part to be used, so to me it's just another part to love. Sure does take up a lot of room on the bed though when when has it sticking out sideways. I always have to check that the 80 lb dog hasn't flopped herself on top of his legs when she chooses to join us (usually during a thunderstorm, or a hint of rain that might mean a thunderstorm is coming).

Nothing cuter than a baby goat! One of the triplets refused a bottle for a week and fought having the nipple put into his mouth. I noticed him already eating hay at 3 weeks and tried putting a bowl of milk in front of him. Evidently, one of the other goat moms butted him every time he tried to get to his own mama, so he weaned himself 5-9 weeks early. He can drink milk from a bowl, craves water, and is eating sweet feed and hay.

@CarolC: I feel your pain. The ice storm hit Tennessee hard. In a normal winter we have a dusting or two of snow that's melted by 10 am when temps get above 50. Our power has been off two days. Temperature dropped to nine degrees last night and no chance of going to a shelter with three baby goats, four Yorkies, two giant Pyr puppies, a 30 beagle, a 35 lb 17-year old terrier mix, and an 80 lb Great Pyrenees afraid of every new experience who runs at the first sign of anything sketchy. It was after dark before I remembered we'd bought a generator years ago that had never been unpacked, and another hour and a half before Laurel & Hardy (Bob & I) could get the darn thing running to power two space heaters, phone chargers, and the occasional microwave or coffee pot. We sealed up the kitchen, laid down every comforter in the house to make a giant soft bed, and had a slumber party with our animals. Milo was perfect; the big problem was the incontinent 17 year old (whose Proin couldn't be refilled because of the storm), the big puppy who thought the comforters were pee pads, and the beagle and big Pyr who kept running in and out the pet door tracking dirt across the room. I have two litters due this week and no clean comforters to put in the whelping kennel. Staying up tonight to do laundry.