Congenital buckled spine

Neurological Disorders Resources. Treatment and care for pets having pain or trouble walking or standing due to spinal injuries or neurological disorders like IVDD, FCE and DM.
Milo's Mom

Re: Congenital buckled spine

Post by Milo's Mom »

The break is on my non-dominant left side and was the worst pain I'd ever felt. Lori's daughter has a total freak out every time one of the old folks gets hurt, and her granddaughter looks up to me as being wise, calm and invincible. I managed to land on the bank with my full weight on my lower arm stretched out flat from elbow to fingertips. Lower half of my arm wasn't even bruised but the shock traveled up my arm to break the bone near the shoulder. I didn't cry out when I fell and I calmly walked over to sit beside Lori where I could concentrate on the injury and assess whether it was a go-right-now emergency or a go-later injury. When sweat beaded on my forehead, my face turned white and I was nauseous, I had Lori call for an ambulance and we explained the situation to Lori's daughter and granddaughter. Gracie still thinks I am invincible because I didn't cry.

I am in a sling for now, but the gravity in bending forward causes the arm to pull away from my body a half inch and hurts like ####, as does the weight of something as light as a cell phone carried in my hand. I am discovering just how many tasks are difficult to accomplish with the use of only one hand. I am still wearing the shirt I wore when I fell, cut open at the shoulder in the ER. Lori is going to modify a couple scrub suit shirts for me with velcro closure all along the seam and shoulder on the injured side. I love wearing scrubs; durable fabric, two front pockets, and disposable when you buy them at Goodwill or yard sales.

Milo heard that I didn't get wet in the creek and probably wouldn't feel up to a shower for awhile, so he decided to be helpful by giving me a good spraying. :)

Not sure what he weighs now, but he's still tiny for a six month old.
CarolC

Post by CarolC »

I see what you mean about how you landed. I was just looking at it on an anatomy website. It's a big bone and it sounds like you must have fractured it where it is thickest. Must have done it "just right". Was it still in line or did they have to set it?

I wish I had a good idea for the leaning forward. Can you just hold it in place with your good arm? There are ways to wrap around your chest to hold a sling closer to the body, but I do not know if they will eliminate something as small as a 1/2 of movement OR if they would be appropriate for where you broke it.

Here is a youtube search that may give some results.

https://www.youtube.com/results?search_ ... en+humerus

When I looked it up it said you can expect it to keep hurting for about 2-3 weeks. I think it took about 3 weeks on my rib.

Are you having trouble sitting up in bed? I live alone and I cracked my rib on my right underarm and there was no way I could use my right arm to get up, and there was no one to help me sit up. I could lie down if I did it right but I couldn't get back up. They make those triangular foam wedge pillows, I got 2 at Walmart. They have a smooth cover. I was able to take my good arm and put one wedge behind my shoulders and then use my feet to scoot my back up onto it. Then when I got up on that one, I wedged the other one behind my shoulders between the first one and my back, and scooted up that one till I was upright enough to sit up without killing myself. It does not work if you are wearing clothing with any friction at all. Bare skin works best, but I'm pretty sure you could do it in silky pajamas too. Here's what I mean. They had them in the store, didn't have to order them.

https://www.walmart.com/ip/Mainstays-Fo ... /191267219
wedge.JPG
If you didn't cry, your granddaughter is right! I am really sorry this happened. I wonder if it would help to each lots of cheese and yogurt for extra calcium while it heals. I can only imagine you're going to be frustrated pretty soon when you see things that need doing and you're laid up, but hopefully the better you rest the sooner it will mend.
Milo's Mom

Post by Milo's Mom »

The bone is still on line so no setting or surgery for pins. The doctor said it is common for it to feel displaced and grind back into place if the arm is moved. He tol me to do all the things I've already discovered: Don't lie down flat or lean backward; sit in a recliner to sleep sitting upright; don't use the hand on the injured side to hold anything, no matter how light. All of my painkillers are gone and from here forward am only allowed Tylenol and ibuprofen. He said it should heal in the next three weeks, then I come back in for an x-ray.

I asked if there was a brace with better support than the sling and he said no. Guess I am stuck with the sling.

We looked for wedge pillows for Lori with her fractured sternum. They are all too soft for her, not like the solid, corduroy ones they sold in the old days. I have no problem sitting against the headboard of the bed, but am in danger of Milo's mighty paw swiping against that arm so will remain in the recliner.

I told Gracie that when they tried to move my arm in the ER for x-rays, I cried and howled like a 2 year old. She is unswayed. Evidently, if she didn't see it, it didn't happen.

I am eating lots of yogurt, mostly because it's ready to eat when I am hungry and it doesn't take any effort or prep. I am already seeing thongs that need to be done and figuring out how to do them one-armed. My husband had to fly to Phoenix to make funeral arrangements for his sister, Lori has a fractured sternum and can't lift over 5 lbs, and the adult able bodied helper didn't answer texts tonight when I needed help. I ended up carrying Milo to the kitchen tonight with my good arm, and climbing over a gate to rescue a 4 week old puppy who climbed through the doggie door into the wet puppy yard and couldn't figure out how to get back. Unfortunately, my animals don't care if there is a non-injured person at home or not.
CarolC

Post by CarolC »

Yikes! "Grind back into place" sounds like something you never want to experience. :shock: :shock: :shock: Wouldn't you know? Everything was going swimmingly at first, with everyone pitching in, but it didn't last. I'm sure a broken sternum is something you need to be careful with, that can't be helped. It's the worst timing that a funeral came up right now, and apparently there wasn't anyone else to handle it, but you need help, too. Then there are people who are not as dependable as others when you try to contact them. Maybe they can't see themselves in the same position. Maybe you were so stoic they don't realize how impacting this really is. Maybe it needs to be explained to them in a little more detail.

I'm sure you've thought of it, but have you tried reaching out to see if anyone might take Milo for 2-3 weeks? I remember you had a circle of GP lovers, but I don't know if any are nearby. Could your groomer keep him for a couple of weeks? I'm afraid you risk accidentally stressing the arm, or injuring something else. Since he does not need to be expressed and is not too big, almost anyone who loves dogs could probably board him for a little while, even if you have to pay. If it's not working out, he could come back home. Is there a vet tech you have known a while, who might like to pick up a little extra money (and their dogs are safe for him to be around)?

You've got enough to deal with. You're having to be careful every minute of the day. I imagine you're getting medium to sharp pain many times a day, depending on how you move. I'm glad the doctor thinks it will only ("only"?) be 3 weeks. You may not be sleeping well in the recliner. Many people seem to be able to, but I think it would be hard. I don't know if the doctor is allowing you to shower yet, and getting dressed or even having something you can wear is an issue. And you've got all the other animals that need to be fed and cleaned up after. You need dependable help. Even a 12-yo kid that knows their way around animals. I hope someone comes through for you today. I hope your husband will only be gone for a couple of days. If you could even just get help till he comes home, that would be somethng. The timing is not ideal, to say the least.
Milo's Mom

Post by Milo's Mom »

Lori will have a Come to Jesus stern talk with her daughter tonight and I can enlist the help of the 11 year old after school. (She has discovered the joys of shopping in the toy department with her own money and will do anything for a dollar!)
CarolC

Post by CarolC »

Good!!! Hope you can be careful as you navigate the day between now and then...
:angel:
CarolC

Post by CarolC »

Double post, sorry. I was trying to think how you would wash your hand one-handed, especially the back of your hand, when you're dealing with puppies and a disabled dog.

She demonstrates washing the back of her hand by putting soap on the vertical inside of the sink
Start at 2:00

She has a thick scrubber mitt lying in the bottom of her kitchen sink and she can rub the back of her hand on that. If you don't have a mitt, I think an old kitchen towel would do.
Start at 1:40

He has a trick for getting soft soap out of the dispenser one-handed (though I don't usually find a problem with that, maybe it depends on the dispenser)
It's near the beginning

On this one she uses a brush stuck to the side of the sink with suction cups.
Starts at 4:05

Here is a small brush on Amazon
https://www.amazon.com/Sammons-Preston- ... 083GG1QHG/
Milo's Mom

Post by Milo's Mom »

Cool videos. I did get a copy of Milo's neurology report. Profound thoracolumbar kyphosis, concern for hip dysplasia causing subluxation on the right. Radiographs indicate a birth defect that cannot be surgically corrected without causing undue damage to the rest of the spine. Evidently the turned vertebra I saw a hint of in the one x-ray I photographed was more kyphosis.
critters
Founding Member

Post by critters »

Oh :wow: on the arm! I've busted up all kinds of stuff, and none of it's much fun!!

I agree with Carol on being stuck, wet, AND the arm! :wow: What a mess!

:hysterical: on the peeing. I used to babysit a human kid with severe cerebral palsy who LOVED to drown me with a golden shower when I first started babysitting him. His mom finally had to tell him to knock it off. :hysterical:
critters
Founding Member

Post by critters »

Slings can also be used with a swath, which holds the sling against the body. Some come with that, but I'd think you could use a belt, piece of material, or the like. With such a high fracture, though, you'd probably have to watch that the shoulder doesn't freeze, so I don't know where the line is.

I bet a grabber would help you get ahold of stuff. Hmm. Trying to think of other adaptive stuff...
Milo's Mom

Post by Milo's Mom »

This sling does have a strap to hold it against my body. The arm is so tender right now that a miniscule 1/8" movement hurts. Swelling is starting to go down some so should be improving soon.
CarolC

Post by CarolC »

Milo's Mom wrote: Sat Mar 20, 2021 4:12 am I did get a copy of Milo's neurology report. Profound thoracolumbar kyphosis, concern for hip dysplasia causing subluxation on the right. Radiographs indicate a birth defect that cannot be surgically corrected without causing undue damage to the rest of the spine. Evidently the turned vertebra I saw a hint of in the one x-ray I photographed was more kyphosis.
It sounds like they confirmed what you pretty much already knew. I wonder if the turned one was kyphoscoliosis.

Do you think the pain could be affecting your blood pressure? Has anyone taken it for you since you've been off the stronger medication? If it's up, that would be something to report to the doctor. I don't think they want you in so much pain that your bp runs high. Might be something to check.

Another day gone by. I hope you were warm enough last night in the recliner. The more you can possibly sleep, the quicker this will go by. Someone should make you macaroni and cheese, or a grilled cheese sandwich, and pudding. Someone should bring you a blanket for your legs. Someone should open or close the window to make your room comfortable. Someone should bring you a book of crossword puzzles, just to be nice. Or your favorite magazine. Maybe a carnation in a vase, or a flower you can plant when it's warm enough. Easter is April 4 this year. I wonder if they have hyacinths in the garden center yet, they smell so good. What would really be entertaining is a nanny cam in the puppy room that you could watch from your recliner. Tomorrow is a week gone by, isn't it? The hardest week is over, the next one can hope to be a little better.

This gal broke hers in 2 places. She is putting a folded hand towel underneath her elbow when she is trying to sleep in the recliner, so her arm doesn't fall back when she's sleeping (at the 9:30 time hack). Nice video, but a lot of commercial breaks.

If you get bored and feel like trying a nice game, I like the one here called An Eggcellent Game. I'm not into games at all, but someone sent me that one and I spent hours on it over the course of several days, it really passed some time.

https://www.jacquielawson.com/cards/games

Direct link to game:
https://www.jacquielawson.com/sendcard/ ... pmode=init
CarolC

Post by CarolC »

I was thinking about the issue of changing a malewrap one-handed. It would be hard to do with the elasticized wraps. I think it could be managed with a wrap that is just a flat strip of fabric like this. (This is the kind my golden retriever, Merlin, wore).

https://www.tinydogstore.com/index2.asp?id=&cid=68

The biggest issue I see is getting the used pad out of the wrap, as they are stuck in with adhesive and you kind of have to tear them out. You would have to anchor the wrap somehow. I do not have a wrap to try it with right now, but here are pictures doing the same thing with a dog diaper with velcro tabs. I'm sure this would work.

1) Take the used wrap with the pad stuck in it, and shut the free end of the wrap in a door. (You have to be on the side of the door where you can push it closed with your foot, not the other side where you would have to grab the knob and pull it.) It would have to be a tight enough door that the wrap is anchored well. Now you have a wrap hanging in the crack of your closed door and you don't need an extra hand to hold it, the door is your other hand. Pull the used pad out, and you can put your wrap in the wash. The only problem is, when you open the door to get the wrap back out of the door, you don't want it to drop to the floor, which I'm sure would happen from time to time even if you are careful.

Diaper_in_door.JPG

2) Another method to remove the pad would be to take the used wrap with the pad stuck in it, and fasten it around anything solid, with the pad side out. Ideas are a bedpost, the back of certain kinds of kitchen chairs, a baby gate, or a grab bar in the shower, Excuse the dark picture, this is a baby gate.

Diaper_on_baby_gate.JPG

The other problem I could imagine is, sooner or later you'll probably accidentally handle the wrap (or put the wrap down), in such a way that the velcro ends meet unintentionally and the velcro fastens itself (Rats!), and the wrap is not around anything to anchor it. I guarantee I would do this! :roll: This could happen either right after you pull the wrap off and the pad is still on it, or after you remove the pad.

If it happens after you remove the pad, that's OK. I don't know about you but I wash things with the velcro fastened, so in that case it is ready to throw in the wash. If it happens with the pad still on, and it fastens itself, then you have a cloth circle with a pad on it. Once again you need a place to anchor it. If you are lucky enough to have a bedpost you could drop it down over the top, and that would be ideal (though maybe not the most sanitary thing in the world). The other thing that would work nicely is a door handle if it is the kind that is a lever handle rather than a knob. Or you could put the wrap around the bathtub spout, but you'd have to be careful about bending over. Or maybe you have something else in your house that would be really good. The handlebars of an exercise bike...who knows what? :D

Hope you are getting by OK...

You may have already come up with a better way to change his wrap, these are just ideas.
Milo's Mom

Post by Milo's Mom »

I don't know about it being a better way, but I pull it tight with my good hand then use my FOREHEAD to hold it in place while I stretch the other side. :haha:
CarolC

Post by CarolC »

Ha haa! :hysterical: Where there's a will there's a way! :trophy: I was thinking of using your teeth, but didn't want to suggest that for several reasons... :blush: :lol:

I had forgotten till just now, but there was a gal with a German Shepherd who expressed him with her foot due to a shoulder problem. Don't think this video is needed for Milo, but it's another case of seemingly doing the impossible with a shoulder problem. :wub: