Congenital buckled spine

Neurological Disorders Resources. Treatment and care for pets having pain or trouble walking or standing due to spinal injuries or neurological disorders like IVDD, FCE and DM.
Milo's Mom

Congenital buckled spine

Post by Milo's Mom »

Does anyone have experience with a dog whose spine is buckled upward? Milo is a 5 month old Great Pyrenees whose back leg weakness was originally attributed to poor traction when he learned to walk at 2 wks on a slippery floor. His shoulders are massive because he pulls himself around with his front legs, and both my vet and the neurologist orginally thought the hump on his back was due to heavy muscling over his shoulder blades. X-rays revealed that his spine has a 90 degree turn upward right behind the shoulder blades, turns 180 degrees downward at the peak until it reaches the normal level of the spine then continues to the tail. Surgery is not an option and at this time he has normal function in all of his organs. His back legs have feeling and movement, but constantly lying on the weaker rear leg has caused it to stiffen and his hips to rotate to the left. He's been practicing walking in a wheelchair for a month and loves it, especially after we learned how to modify the straps so it wouldn't slide down his shoulder hump and throw him off balance. The neurologist has never seen a buckling of this severity in a dog who didn't have rear leg paralysis or organ involvement, so didn't offer a prognosis. Trying t find other people who have pets with a similar condition for tips and info. Links should take you to google docs so you can view x-ray and my smiling, happy Milo.
Milo's Mom

Re: Congenital buckled spine

Post by Milo's Mom »

I think I may need help posting photos on this board.
CarolC

Post by CarolC »

https://photos.app.goo.gl/AZYRoeijbMhK6qEN9

Hi Milo's Mom. :welcome: When I click the Google link it shows the world's cutest puppy. :wub: I don't see an option to look at more photos or x-rays. I signed into Google but still only see the one precious photo. I would love to see the x-rays. Is there is a different link for x-rays?

There are spinal deformities that do not necessarily cause neurological deficits. Did the vet mention anything about kyphosis or scoliosis?

You can upload photos by clicking the Attachments link at the bottom of the compose screen. It is easy. If the photo is too big (too many kilobytes/megabytes) it will tell you. In that case you can decrease the size using Microsoft Paint or free online app like

https://www.online-image-editor.com/
www.tinypng.com (works for JPGs, too, love it) :D
Milo's Mom

Post by Milo's Mom »

https://photos.app.goo.gl/XXY8KLNPDY939HM46
The neurologist didn't give a name, but I knew about kyphosis. I couldn't find anything with as severe a curve until I googled "congenital buckling of spine." Most were due to injury, but some of the congenital photos were similar. It would be kyphosis with a 180 degree turn. The neurologist seemed amazed that he didn't have an neural issues. Reinserted the x-ray link. Milo is a cutie, isn't he?
CarolC

Post by CarolC »

Yes, he's beautiful. I've seen x-rays similar to that. Here are the side-by-side x-rays of 2 different dogs. They look so much alike you might think you are looking at the same view on a single dog. In this case, they have hemivertebrae.

viewtopic.php?f=4&t=18894&p=97454#p97454

Sunspirit's dog (Tucker, the pug in the x-rays) could walk.

viewtopic.php?f=4&t=6908&p=37116#p37116

I understand he is still growing, so he is likely to grow out of any cart you put him in right now. But they do make custom carts for cases of scoliosis when the dog is old enough. You'd have to ask them how old, it may be around 9 months but I don't know if that varies by breed. Here is an example. You can see how the saddle is aligned for individual dog.

https://web.archive.org/web/20100115183 ... _kind.html
CarolC

Post by CarolC »

Sorry, this is a double post.

Here is a comparison. I can delete it if you want. Just thought it would be easier to see. I can't tell if I've got the relative size right, I may have Milo's a little large. (Click the photo to enlarge).

Tucker - top
Finn - middle
Milo -bottom

comparison.PNG
Milo's Mom

Post by Milo's Mom »

https://photos.app.goo.gl/mvew5jAxYBoQj5kc8
We held off buying a wheelchair since he was growing so fast, but at 17 lbs ordered one for him. We knew it would only be a month before he'd outgrow it and we'd have to buy another, but the Walkin' Wheels fitting department said the 20-50 lb chair would work for him. This picture was taken two weeks ago. Since the x-ray was done we've adjusted his harness to fit in front of his hump; before it kept sliding backward and pulling the wheelchair off balance. He loves his wheelchair! He doesn't know what running is, but he can move pretty fast going forward, backward, and in big loopy backward circles. We put his legs in slings until he has his balance, then release them and let him kick away.

His hips are turned and in the x-ray I photographed at my vet's office, it looks like one of the vertebrae in front of his hips has twisted. His hips were straight at 6 weeks, so I think all the time lying on the bed with his weaker leg stretched under him has gradually moved that vertebrae. My sister lives here with me and my husband, and she had a daughter with cerebral palsy who was predicted to be crippled for life. She was able to gradually turn the twisted vertebra in her lower back by supporting her with pillows in the wheelchair to help lift her to a more normal position and now her adult daughter can walk normally. Milo swings both back legs as if walking, though they are tilted out to the side with one kicking wildly to the side and the stiff leg swinging at the hip. If we can get his pads to make contact with the floor I think he very well could learn to walk in the future. Using massage on he bad leg to bring back some movement in his joints.

So glad to see other dogs who are doing well with this condition. I was worried that as he grows larger and heavier he might have some neurological problems. Mr. Milo is here to stay and has trained me to serve at his every command.
CarolC

Post by CarolC »

Hi Milo's Mom,

That is such a cute picture of him in the wheelchair, and it really shows his back well. Thank goodness for the adjustable wheelchair they can grow into. There was no such thing when some of us first came to this board.

It is so helpful that you have the background experience with your niece and working with a condition over a period of time to help the person live their best life.

There are a lot of caveats about comparing different dogs. The x-rays look very similar in your dog and Tucker and Finn. The one thing I know about spinal conditions is, each case is different even when they appear similar.

Finn was not posted very long but Tucker's Mom, sunspirit, was on the board for almost 10 years and it may be helpful to read her messages. She came to the board when he was about 6 mos old while looking for wheelchairs. Here is a link to all of her messages in order.

search.php?keywords=&terms=all&author=s ... mit=Search

I think at about 3 1/2 Tucker started having issues urinating and she began catheterizing him. We have had quite a few people here catheterizing their dogs long term. Your dog does not need it now and maybe never will, but here is a video about doing it at home in case someday it may be helpful.

viewtopic.php?f=5&t=21653

The guideline on dogs is, a dog carries about 60% of his weight on the front feet and 40% on the hind feet. From your description it sounds like your dog is carrying extra weight in front, which may make it easier for you. But anyway, for an average 100-lb dog, that means you are lifting about 40 lbs when you put him in his wheelchair. For some people this is no problem. People do it with German Shepherds and pitbulls and all kinds of dogs.

When my golden retriever went down, I was in my 50's with pre-existing back problems. I also found that every time I began to lift my dog onto his feet, he wanted to go heading off across the room pulling me behind him (like a sled dog, and me the sled!) which was extra pull on my back. I had to use a hoist to put him in his wheelchair. It both lifted him onto his feet and kept him standing in one place so I could get it buckled. Basically if the hoist lifted him to a standing position with all 4 of his feet on the ground and it simply held him there standing level, then I could put the wheelchair under him and put his legs into it while the hoist simply held him level and stationary. It wasn't ideal in terms of convienience because it was so big, but it worked.

viewtopic.php?f=66&t=21305

If I had a large dog who I knew I was going to be caring for, for a longer period of time (my dog was old), I would get something better. I am going to give you a list of ideas people have used, to have in mind in case you need something some day.

Here is someone who used a marine hoist designed to lift boats out of the water for their rottweiler.

viewtopic.php?f=66&t=21785

Here is someone who used a medical lift for their bull mastiff.

viewtopic.php?f=4&t=20046

Here is something new that I have not heard any reports on, but it looks like it works. It's a hoist you install in a door frame that will lift a dog clear off the ground. You would not need to lift a dog off the ground for a wheelchair, but it certainly looks effortless. I think the company is in Canada.

viewtopic.php?f=22&t=21554&p=108601

I hope you will continue to update on Milo and share anything you learn, however small. There will be someone else with a precious puppy :wub: who can benefit from your experience.
Milo's Mom

Post by Milo's Mom »

You are a godsend! I've always joked I'd need an engine hoist when he gets older, but that doorway model looks perfect. Already rearranging furniture and discarding things we don't need to make bigger open spaces for Milo to roll around in. I am 64 and full-grown weight for a Pyrenees can be up to 130 lbs, though Milo isn't going to reach near that size since he has so little muscle mass behind the shoulders. I live on a farm and can carry 50 lb bags of feed, but Milo is gaining weight at the rate of 2-1/2 to 3 lbs every week. He wears a belly band as urine is a constant leak. I've tried to express his bladder thinking that it was overflow and was only able to find a full bladder once. I took him to the vet so he could show me how to locate the bladder, thinking that I was inept, and he said I couldn't feel it because the bladder was completely empty and all urine is draining on its own. Pampers 12 hr Baby Dry tucked in a belly band is my friend! Going to mourn the loss when he outgrows that brand and I have to test brands of adult diapers to find which will keep his skin dry. I will definitely read the posts on Tucker's journey. Thank you so much for responding with all that information.
CarolC

Post by CarolC »

You are more than welcome. Looks like we're about the same age. :wink: If I had your dog right now, I would have to look ahead and think, if he lives 10 years, I will be 73. I am glad you are physically fit, that is such a huge help. Still, you want to protect yourself. I learned something with my dog that is hard to put into words. I lifted my dog for about 3 years because he could not get up from lying down, and more so the last 8 months when he was down completely and could not get up at all. I was very-very careful to use good body mechanics and lift correctly to ensure I did not blow a disk. I knew if I injured my back, there would be no one to care for him. I was careful to keep my back straight and use my knees, etc.

Fortunately, I never blew a disk :angel: but over time there were accumulated small changes in my back that added up. I was not really aware of them because they crept in. There was no obvious "Ouch!" moment (except when I dislocated a rib). Over time, I rotated some vertebrae because I always lifted right handed and you kind of twist when you reach down. I rotated my pelvis, froze the left SI joint, and developed stiffness (fibrous ankylosis) in the spine itself, which was partly able to be broken down with physical therapy later. I finally tore the ligaments in my back when I bent over to pick up something off the floor that was heavier than expected, and since my back would no longer flex, the ligaments just tore.

I have always said I waited way too long to take any kind of anti-inflammatory. Something like Aleve does loosen you up. I wish I had started taking it much sooner. Your goal may have to be to stay flexible, since you already have good strength. And another goal might be to use a lifting aid as much as possible starting as early as possible. Little Milo will have to learn to be patient. Even when he grows into an energetic teenager, he will need to let you tend him in a way that is "long term safe".

And I suppose you and your husband will have to be patient, too, because it is SO much easier to "cheat your future" and lift more than you should because it's quicker at that particular moment, and you're busy. (I was still working full time and always on a tight schedule when my golden retriever went down.) You think, "I'm not a wimp, I can do this." Maybe you can. Maybe your husband can. I did...but it wasn't for free. By the time I got my engine hoist, I'd already been lifting unassisted for 3 years. After my dog passed, I went to physical therapy and tried to undo as much of the damage as possible. I'm still dealing with the ligament damage though, and doing exerises at home over 10 years later.

The very best, most helpful thing I found for my dog was a belly band with handles. My golden retriever wore his belly band 24/7 for the last 3 years of his life. I needed a rear harness to get him to his feet or move him to change his blankets, etc. It was inconvenient, having to put on a harness every time you wanted to do anything, and it was inconvenient having to put it on over/around the belly band. So I sewed straps on his belly bands. It was wonderful. :D

:arrow: https://www.handicappedpets.com/mediawiki/?title=Male_wrap_with_handles

EDIT: THIS MAY NOT BE APPROPRIATE ADVICE FOR THIS CONDITION, SEE viewtopic.php?f=4&t=22078&p=110860#p110860

The best thing I found for skin care, with my dog wearing his belly band 24/7, is original Desitin diaper cream. It is white and contains zinc oxide. If you butter the male area with it, it will stay on and not have to be reapplied for at least a day or two. You don't have to reapply it with every diaper change. And it really works, protecting the skin.

Zinc is toxic if a dog ingests enough of it, so you don't want to use it if your dog is going to lick the area. I asked my vet and he said he hasn't seen a problem with zinc toxicity except in rare cases where a dog swallowed a bunch of coins or something, so he said it was OK. I have another diaper dog who sleeps bare-bottom at night, and I do not use it with her, because it adheres to the skin so well, I'd have a job trying to get it all wiped off at night to be sure she didn't lick it during her grooming when her bottom is bare for 8 hours.

My information may be out of date, but I remember one of the brands (Parents Choice? Goodnights?) had a children's diaper that went up to 125 lbs. People here have tested diapers by pouring measuring cups of water in them to see how much they really hold.

There is also something called a booster pad they use for humans. You put it inside the diaper and it gives added absorbency when the patient is soaking their adult diapers. Though I will say, by the time you have a dog in a belly band with a diaper and the diaper is soaked, it is a physically heavy object for your dog to have around his waist. I was surprised at how heavy the pads were when I removed them from my dog's belly band, but after I thought about it, I shouldn't have been. Liquid is heavy. However if the dog is simply lying in bed, the weight does not matter.

https://www.carewell.com/booster-pads-guide

My one diaper dog is the same way. She dribbles herself empty 24/7. I've never been able to express her because there was never anything there. :pardon: I wanted to be absolutely sure I wasn't just missing something so the vet did an ultrasound not long after I got her and another later. Sure enough, she was empty. You are lucky if you have a dog like that!

You did not mention any issues with "Number two". That can be expressed too, if needed.

viewtopic.php?f=5&t=18586

There is one more link I didn't give. If you scroll down it shows a Hoyer lift and a suspension bar they use. They call it The Equi-lift Hoist. This is one of the older wheelchair companies and I believe the owner got it (if I understand correctly) because he developed back problems fitting dogs of all sizes with wheelchairs for many years. It may be the most suitable hoist to use, I don't know. You'd think if anyone knew what worked best, he would. I only know I've seen it illustrated on their website.
Milo's Mom

Post by Milo's Mom »

I recognized immediately that Milo as my forever dog would involve thinking outside the box for issues like lifting as he grows heavier. He only weighed 23 lbs at the last vet visit but I can tell the difference between picking him up from floor level and hoisting a 50 lb bag of feed from the back of my van where I can use the strength of my legs to lift. Husband can't help because he's 70 and going to a pain management doctor from being rear ended at a stop light 2 years ago. We'd bought a scissor lift dolly a couple years ago with the intention to use it to lift heavy objects into the pickup truck and have only used it once. It's the perfect size to nudge a big dog onto and lift/roll to where we need him! Milo may prefer a little cushion though on that steel platform. :) Will do everything I can to protect my back...three old people living here and I'm the only one still able to lift without pain pills afterward. Great idea about handles on the belly bands! Should I ever get to the point that Milo's comfort is endangered by my physical inabilities, I have a large network of Great Pyrenees lovers and would be able to find him a home that could love him like I do.

I used Huggies diapers at first and Milo developed diaper rash. I ran out and bought Desitin immediately, remembering the old days when I used it on my daughter. I was extremely irritated to find out that the new version is petroleum jelly and I'd basically paid almost $5 for a small tube of vaseline. My sister told me to look for A+D Cream and it works just like original Desitin, containing Demethicone & zinc oxide. Cleared his rash in less than 24 hours. I changed Milo's food from Purina Puppy Chow to Purina One and his poop is residue free now, so Milo only needs a belly band and no more trying to get fecal matter out of his fluffy butt fur. Yay! I live on a farm with daily contact with dog, cat, chicken, goat, cow and horse manure so I'm definitely not squeamish, but it is oh so nice not to find a smushy pile of poo on your comforter at bedtime.

My sister sometimes has trouble with urinary incontinence after spinal surgery a few years ago; she will wake up in the morning and produce a flood as soon as she stands up. She has informed me that the Poise Overnight #6 pads can hold an entire bladder's worth of pee.

Yes, very lucky that Milo is a constant dribbler and lucky too that he can defecate on his own when his colon is full. I don't know if it's a conscious decision or a process like the dribbling, but I'd like to figure out how long it takes him to process his meal and adjust his feeding schedule. He is my bed dog and grazes his food all day, so sometimes in the middle of the night he barks to announce that he needs "cleanup on aisle 9", then when he has my attention will turn to face the other way to make the product of his work obvious. Usually I'm scrambling half awake to grab a paper towel while chanting, "Stay still. Stay still. Please don't squish it!"

I have a friend who is an engineer and can probably duplicate that Equi-Lift. Something to think about later.

Thank you again for all the advice. So glad I found this forum. I will post updates on Milo and his smiley face. I once was a moderator on a widow's group and mentor to members grieving the loss of their spouse. Maybe someday I will know enough to help others here and be their voice of hope. You are wonderful!
CarolC

Post by CarolC »

Replying between the lines... :D
Milo's Mom wrote: Tue Feb 02, 2021 12:04 amHusband can't help because he's 70 and going to a pain management doctor from being rear ended at a stop light 2 years ago.
OK, I didn't realize that. I was kind of hoping you'd have a little help. He has my sympathy. And so do you. There have been plenty of members here with no spouse, and a few serving as dual caregiver to both a disabled husband and a disabled dog. One man here recently was caring for a German shepherd with a degenerative spinal condition, and his elderly mother. There was a woman here caring for a quadriplegic bull mastiff with her 85-yo mother. There have been several women here who posted they were 7 or 8 months pregnant and their large dog went down. You are not alone!
Milo's Mom wrote: Tue Feb 02, 2021 12:04 amWe'd bought a scissor lift dolly a couple years ago with the intention to use it to lift heavy objects into the pickup truck and have only used it once. It's the perfect size to nudge a big dog onto and lift/roll to where we need him! Milo may prefer a little cushion though on that steel platform. :)
That's perfect. A lift table has been recommended on the degenerative myelopathy website, and it was used here by someone with a 90-lb standard poodle. The man with the lift table was loading his dog into the back of a truck. I ended up converting my station wagon so I could get my golden retriever in with a minimum of lifting.
Milo's Mom wrote: Tue Feb 02, 2021 12:04 amWill do everything I can to protect my back...three old people living here and I'm the only one still able to lift without pain pills afterward. Great idea about handles on the belly bands!
Know what you mean about lifting and taking a pill... :medicine:
Milo's Mom wrote: Tue Feb 02, 2021 12:04 amShould I ever get to the point that Milo's comfort is endangered by my physical inabilities, I have a large network of Great Pyrenees lovers and would be able to find him a home that could love him like I do.
That is reassuring. I hope you'll never need it (so your heart won't be broken, seriously), but it's good to know it's an option.
Milo's Mom wrote: Tue Feb 02, 2021 12:04 amI used Huggies diapers at first and Milo developed diaper rash. I ran out and bought Desitin immediately, remembering the old days when I used it on my daughter. I was extremely irritated to find out that the new version is petroleum jelly and I'd basically paid almost $5 for a small tube of vaseline. My sister told me to look for A+D Cream and it works just like original Desitin, containing Demethicone & zinc oxide. Cleared his rash in less than 24 hours.
That is so frustrating. They put the same brand name on the product but they have at least 3 different varieties, and if you haven't bought it recently you have no way of knowing. The one you want would have been the purple one (Original) but it sounds like you've got it covered with the A&D, so Problem Solved! :trophy:
Milo's Mom wrote: Tue Feb 02, 2021 12:04 amI changed Milo's food from Purina Puppy Chow to Purina One and his poop is residue free now, so Milo only needs a belly band and no more trying to get fecal matter out of his fluffy butt fur. Yay!
LOL! The youngest dog I've ever had was 7 months old, so I don't know anything about feeding puppies. But I do have experience with messy bottoms and what critters calls "cling-ons". It helps a lot to shave that area of the bottom. You can do it at home (I do my diaper dog with a Wahl home haircutting kit, $19 at Walmart). A sideburns trimmer works nicely, too, because it's small. Or they can do it for you at the vet, just ask for a "sanitary clip".
Milo's Mom wrote: Tue Feb 02, 2021 12:04 amI live on a farm with daily contact with dog, cat, chicken, goat, cow and horse manure so I'm definitely not squeamish, but it is oh so nice not to find a smushy pile of poo on your comforter at bedtime.
So true! I always say there is a reason there are so many cleaning and laundry smilies on this board! A comforter is a whole load in the washer.
:wash: :laundry: :mop: :vacuum:

Here is an idea from critters:
Re: Help w/poo in the bed
I prefer washable pee pads on the bed, and sometimes using a mattress pad as the topmost blanket is enough protection
With him being a puppy you may be limited in how much you can adjust his stool quality (glad the Purina One is a success). But when he gets older you'll be able to adjust his diet for quality stools. Someone here called it "outstanding poop texture". :D I've had great luck with Science Diet w/d dry kibble. I'm pretty sure (?) it's not for puppies, but in adult dogs it gives firm, low odor, well formed stools. If your dog doodles in bed and it happens to roll under his hip, it does not get gummed up in his fur. Other people have had success with other brands, it's just whatever works with your dog's system. If the Purina One is really working, then that's great. I have a non-disabled Yorkie mix that likes the Purina One chicken and rice.

I did a video one time where I expressed my dog's bowel (she is on Science Diet w/d) onto a clean puppy pad and then rolled the waste around on the pad, where it did not leave a visible trace. Imagine if that was your carpet or your bedspread. That is the kind of texture you get with w/d. (The w/d canned does not work as well for some reason. :roll: )

Milo's Mom wrote: Tue Feb 02, 2021 12:04 amMy sister sometimes has trouble with urinary incontinence after spinal surgery a few years ago; she will wake up in the morning and produce a flood as soon as she stands up. She has informed me that the Poise Overnight #6 pads can hold an entire bladder's worth of pee.
The good thing about having a dribbler is, it soaks into the pad little by little, it isn't a complete void all at once. I use Poise for my one dog. For my golden retriever I used Serenity Ultimate. He had renal insufficiency and drank lots of water and I was changing him 5x a day. I like the idea of laying a disposable diaper in the belly band because you get good coverage that way.
Milo's Mom wrote: Tue Feb 02, 2021 12:04 amYes, very lucky that Milo is a constant dribbler and lucky too that he can defecate on his own when his colon is full. I don't know if it's a conscious decision or a process like the dribbling, but I'd like to figure out how long it takes him to process his meal and adjust his feeding schedule.
Here is a trick to determine processing time.
http://www.dodgerslist.com/literature/Expressing.htm wrote:To know how long it takes for your dachsie to process food, put a few small pieces of raw carrot or kernels of frozen corn in with dinner. The veggie pieces don't digest — watch for the stool with veggies and you'll know your pup's digesting time.
Milo's Mom wrote: Tue Feb 02, 2021 12:04 amHe is my bed dog and grazes his food all day, so sometimes in the middle of the night he barks to announce that he needs "cleanup on aisle 9", then when he has my attention will turn to face the other way to make the product of his work obvious. Usually I'm scrambling half awake to grab a paper towel while chanting, "Stay still. Stay still. Please don't squish it!"
I'm sorry but I just have to laugh! :hysterical: He's a smart puppy, knowing to tell you already! :smart:
Milo's Mom wrote: Tue Feb 02, 2021 12:04 amI have a friend who is an engineer and can probably duplicate that Equi-Lift. Something to think about later.
That's great. I was really lucky I had already bought the engine hoist when my dog went down. I thought I was going to have more time to get it put together and made into something that would work for a dog, but it turned out I needed it sooner than expected because he went down sooner than expected. At least I didn't have to go "project shopping" during a pandemic, though, right? :D
Milo's Mom wrote: Tue Feb 02, 2021 12:04 amThank you again for all the advice. So glad I found this forum. I will post updates on Milo and his smiley face. I once was a moderator on a widow's group and mentor to members grieving the loss of their spouse. Maybe someday I will know enough to help others here and be their voice of hope.
It would take a special kind of person to do that. I suppose there is some similarity here. People come here with all kinds of special needs pets, and they welcome any support and experience available. You probably already have a lifetime of knowledge and insight to offer, not to mention encouragement. I hope you will stay and add your voice and chime in any time you can. We are all here to help our pets! :D
Milo's Mom

Post by Milo's Mom »

I should have thought of whole corn. The Purina One Large Breed Puppy that I'm using usually forms poop like the Science Diet. Milo just knows when the 17 year old terrier mix is getting canned food and woofs until he gets a bite. I discovered canned food is not a good additive to his kibble by leaving home to run errands and coming back to a formerly fluffy dog who required an immediate bath.

Feel free to laugh at me any time. When life gets hard, searching for the funny parts makes everything easier. :)
CarolC

Post by CarolC »

Milo's Mom wrote: Tue Feb 02, 2021 11:12 pm formerly fluffy dog who required an immediate bath.
I call that "Disaster Dog". :haha:
Some cases are more memorable than others! :hysterical:

Your being on a farm reminded me of Stacy's dog, Blue, who was a working cart dog on a horse farm.

STACYS-BLUE-250x192.jpg
7-14-05-blue.jpg

and also of Kid John, who was a Newfoundland mix with a homemade quad cart.

Quad1John.jpg
quad4john.jpg
quad5john.jpg
When I was looking at getting a wheelchair for my golden retriever, they did not have the adjustable wheelchairs available in his size yet. They had the medium, but were not producing the large yet. So I had to order a custom one, and I tried to ask them in advance how wide it would be for a dog his size, because I wasn't sure if it would fit through the door to the back yard, and they couldn't give me an exact size before they made it. It turned out it fit through the door fine. I already had a ramp for him because he needed that when he was still walking. Here is a photo of him on his ramp, and one from the side.

MerlinRamp.jpg
2011-05-30 pool-small.JPG
Thanks for the tip on dog food for a large breed incontinent puppy. I don't think anyone has posted that information before for a puppy.
:thankyou:
Milo's Mom

Post by Milo's Mom »

When Milo is completely comfortable walking long distances in his wheelchair, I plan to order the big wheels attachment so he can go out in the pastures with me. They are easily interchangeable with the indoor wheels. Right now his wheelchair training is limited to a 10'x10' area I've cleared out in the kitchen with a lot of forward 6 ft, backward and turn arounds. He's a double coated breed and should love cold weather but has been in the 75 degree house since he was 4 weeks old and hasn't developed a winter coat. Our outdoor excursions to the park are limited to warmer days and we are trying different dog coats to find one that doesn't distract him to immobility.