ANNPE Diagnosis-Success Stories?

Neurological Disorders Resources. Treatment and care for pets having pain or trouble walking or standing due to spinal injuries or neurological disorders like IVDD, FCE and DM.
coxmaria3

Re: ANNPE Diagnosis-Success Stories?

Post by coxmaria3 »

Prayers for time additional time with your fur baby.
ljpatton

Post by ljpatton »

:wink:
critters wrote: Thu Dec 30, 2021 8:18 am :welcome: ljpatton! Congrats on your baby's recovery!!!
Thanks, it is a long road. But willing to go there if she is with me. Thank goodness she is alive.
ljpatton

Post by ljpatton »

https://youtu.be/v391euAmvxc

Update on Chante'- 7.5 months post ANNPE from August 18. I shared her rehab video on here. Here she is yesterday playing in the house. She is almost back to 100%. Still going to physical therapy once a week to get the last bit of her gait back, but she runs, can jump up on everything even did an earth dog trial a few weeks ago. I have confidence because she works so hard that she will get it all back. :hurray: :snoopy:
CarolC

Post by CarolC »

You wouldn't know, from looking at her. She looks like she's enjoying herself!

I'd be curious to know how many sessions a day you did with her and how long per session. I would guess it changed over the months. (If you ever have time to write it down.) I'm thinking of making a summary of Pip's rehab routine (recovering from quadriplegia). I will one of these days. Your dog is kind of an exception because she went into it in top form and was accustomed to workouts and training, but still...she still had to put in the time and all the work to get where she is now. If she's like Pip, she got tired and could only do so much per session for a while.

Congratulations to both of you! You make it look easy, but a lot of dedication and sticktoitiveness went into getting where she is now. :trophy:

congrats.gif
ljpatton

Post by ljpatton »

Thanks for your support. Yes it was easier because she was used to trick training so she thought re-hab was all a game. I have been doing re-hab twice a day for the last 8 months, except on days she went to physical therapy. For 3 months she went to pt twice a wee, she is now down to once a week. I am a former college strength coach and lacrosse/basketball coach. I have had back surgery myself so I know how to re-hab myself and my players. So I am extremely motivated and have passed it down to her. Yet, she has been my sole focus these past months and lucky I am now retired so I work out daily and she works out daily but it is a constant focus. I was lucky enough to be in this position and I already had a strong, trained dog. But do not give up- they feed off of you, make it fun, a game and they will enjoy getting stronger and better. And remember neuro stuff takes time, I had a very simple back surgery and did not carry a pack for over a year.
ljpatton

Post by ljpatton »

BTW each session at home was for about 15-20 minutes plus the walk we do, PT was for an hour twice a week then once a week.
CarolC

Post by CarolC »

Oh, wow. And what you're not directly saying is, you had a paralyzed ~ 20-lb dog to rehab, with your own back history. There is a lot of lifting and bending with a paralyzed dog, and slinging a dog is more of a strain on the back than is immediately apparent until you do it. Maybe you knew of some maintenance exercises you could do for yourself, but again, wow, you did 8 months of rehab with a history of back surgery, and your dog is closer to medium than small. That's. Impressive. People here have done some amazing things because they really care about their pets. :wub:
ljpatton

Post by ljpatton »

:welcomeheart: Thanks.
ljpatton

Post by ljpatton »

PUPDATE on Miss Chante'. Chante' was diagnosed with ANNPE last August 18. Here she is 11 months later, just about 100%.

https://youtu.be/vzFqixUyv18
CarolC

Post by CarolC »

Oh, man, she flows! She's so pretty. Had to laugh there at the end, she's enjoying herself! :D
Congratulations, you guys!!! What a difference! :trophy:
ljpatton

Post by ljpatton »

:thankyou:
Ufr321

Post by Ufr321 »

Hi all,

It's my first time to post on this site. Unfortunately my dog was injured 3 days ago and was diagnosed with severe ANNPE, for which surgery is not possible. He retained deep pain perception until the morning after his injury, when he lost it. He is completely paralyzed in his hind legs and tail. He was given a guarded to poor prognosis for recovery, and the doctor told me that from the cases that she has seen that were as severe as my dog, around 50% recovered. I've never been so heartbroken in my life, but I am determined to do everything I can to have him recover his feeling and be able to walk/run normally again. As of now I am having him rest at home, giving him physical therapy at home, etc. and I'm scheduled for a consultation with a highly recommended dog rehabilitation / physical therapy center in my area next week. I have a few questions, would deeply appreciate any feedback at all!

1. Has anyone had any experience or know of any cases where a dog with severe ANNPE with a loss of deep pain perception successfully recovered feeling and was able to walk/run normally again?

2. Has anyone had any experience with dogs that lost deep pain perception from any spinal injury in general, and was able to recover deep pain perception? If so, how long did it take?

3. Today I noticed my dog's legs twitching / trembling today 3 times, at least one time when he was getting up on 2 of his front legs. Is this a possible sign he may be recovering feeling in his legs?

4. I noticed that he seems more sensitive to tickling of his hind paws - he was non-reactive to it yesterday. Is it only reflex or is it possibly related to recovery of feeling in his hind legs?

Thank you!
critters
Founding Member

Post by critters »

:whale: Spinal cord injuries CAN heal and it can take months to years. Hopefully you can get ANNPE-specific information through your post.
CarolC

Post by CarolC »

Hi Ufr321,
Ufr321 wrote: Wed Aug 17, 2022 11:30 pm 2. Has anyone had any experience with dogs that lost deep pain perception from any spinal injury in general, and was able to recover deep pain perception? If so, how long did it take?
I recently did a post compiling a lot of reports on this forum of dogs who either stood or walked or regained deep pain sensation months or years after the injury. Of course most recoveries take less time than that, but it's nice to know that improvement can occur even long after the injury.

Actually it was a double post. Here are the 2 links.

viewtopic.php?f=4&t=22803&p=112989#p112989
viewtopic.php?f=4&t=22803&p=112982#p112982

The post about deep pain returning after 7 years might make you skeptical. If would me, but I know the person who posted it. That was one of the moderators here who was a chemistry professor at the University of California, and if she said it happened, then it really happened.

Getting him into PT is probably the best thing you can do, along with doing PT at home. The secret about PT is continuing it. Steady PT over time.

If you think you are noticing differences in his reactions, then you probably are. Improvements occur in little ways like that. Recovery is by baby steps.
:gang:
Ufr321

Post by Ufr321 »

Thank you for the reply and links! Much appreciated.

Quick update - 4 days after his injury, my dog has regained a little feeling in his legs, and have been moving them and his tail even when he has not been touched. As of today he has also shown a lot more awareness of his legs and will often abruptly start licking his legs as if he feels something, even while he was sleeping. He is getting started on physical therapy next Monday and the physical therapist has let me know these are all good signs for recovery. Will do everything possible to maximize his chances for a full recovery.