Onset Paralysis

Neurological Disorders Resources. Treatment and care for pets having pain or trouble walking or standing due to spinal injuries or neurological disorders like IVDD, FCE and DM.
critters
Founding Member

Re: Onset Paralysis

Post by critters »

CarolC wrote: Fri Jun 25, 2021 4:11 pm What a sweet picture! He looks SO glad to see you in that picture. And I see what you mean about the size! That IS a cute pic!! :hearts:

That's really cool that he's urinating a better stream. It could be the medicine or it could be improvement, or he could be helping when you squeeze. Here is something I wrote about my dog.
https://handicappedpet.net/helppets/viewtopic.php?p=20225#p20225 wrote:My dog also regained a degree of control so that about 5 or 6 months after her injury she became able to help me as I expressed. This is part of the reason we are able to get it all, because I am squeezing as well as I can but she is also using her inner muscles so we express together. I ask her, "Ready, Freddy?" and then we go, and we pretty much get it all.
I'm glad he got his other pottying taken care of, too. He must have been a little constipated or backed up from being in the hospital and is now getting back to normal. Yay!!!

You are right about the wraps. Here's a long answer. :D They were recommended by someone here, and I tried them and think they are wonderful. They are still available, but let me explain the whole thing. They are sold through a place called the Tiny Dog Store, but don't worry, they make big sizes, too. However, when I looked, I saw they no longer made the XXLarge size, which I think your dog might need (but I'm not sure). So I went on the website and found the phone number and called Customer Service and asked. The lady was super nice. I think she was the owner, and a real dog lover. She said they quit offering the XXLarge size because it takes so much fabric to make, but they will make some for you, they do that for customers, they just need to know the waist size. (And it sounds like it's no big problem and nothing out of the ordinary, they're glad to do it.) What great customer service!! :wub:

They come in tan or black. When you read the website, I would ignore what is says about weight in lbs and only look at the waist measurement in inches. For example, my dog had a 23" waist and wore an XLarge, and the website says XL is for up to 35 lbs, but Merlie was 55 lbs. That's why I say just go by the inches, not the pounds, if that makes sense.

Anyway she invited you to call her and give her his waist measurement, and they would make some for you. I do not know what it will cost, but you can probably get a rough idea from the cost of the XLarge. I always recommend having 2, one to wash and one to wear. My way is 3--1 to wear, 1 for backup, and 1 for dirty, but I don't have washer, dryer, etc. :lol: I machine washed Merlin's wraps and hung them on the shower rod where they dried in no time because of the fabric they are made of. They never seem to wear out, they pretty much last forever. Here is the link and the phone number.

https://www.tinydogstore.com/index2.asp?id=&cid=68 wrap
https://www.tinydogstore.com/cust_svc.asp Customer service

The last thing is, in the photo of Merlin, I had actually altered his wrap. It did not come with straps attached. He was a senior dog and he had to wear a belly band 24/7. Since he was older, he would have trouble getting to his feet, and I would need a sling to help boost him. It was a hassle to have to get the sling every time he wanted to get up, so I finally tried sewing handles onto his wrap. That way he was wearing a wrap 24/7 that doubled as a sling 24/7. I never had to put a sling on him because he was always wearing it.

Sewing on handles works with this kind of wrap, because they lie flat and do not bunch up (unlike the ones with elastic). I should add that I was not using it to sling him long distances. At first it was to get him to his feet. Later it helped get his feet in his wheelchair (lift and drop). Anyway, here is the link showing how to add straps. I am not sure that would be appropriate in a case where your dog is not weight bearing yet. When he can stand a little if you only help him up, then it might be very handy.

The other thing I might mention (regarding making a wrap into a sling) is that different male dogs have their manhood in slightly different places. In some dogs the p*nis is closer to the ribs, in some it is closer to the tail. Merlie's anatomy was pretty far back, which made the wrap with handles work well for him.
:pardon:
https://www.handicappedpets.com/mediawiki/?title=Male_wrap_with_handles
critters
Founding Member

Post by critters »

pbj_33 wrote: Thu Jun 24, 2021 3:26 pm Critters,

He is currently on "Prazosin" to help with his bladder.

Hmm, I've never had anybody take that one, so no help here.
pbj_33

Post by pbj_33 »

Carol C. & Critters,

Thank you both for your endless support & help throughout this situation. It's extremely hard to seek help from someone out of state or someone who flat out just doesn't understand what needs to be done.

With the tips I've been given, I can breathe a breath of fresh air knowing that I'm not the only one and I've got a couple people to turn to for advice.

We passed the week mark since we brought Kujo home & every day is a blessing. We still rely fully on his sling when he is ready to move but he has much more movement in his legs than he did the day we brought him home.

When we do his stretches, I start out by just rubbing and loving on Kujo and move on to his "toe tickles", where we lightly play with his feet and he actually kicked at me the other day lol. I wasn't mad in the slightest but definitely taken aback. We could always be greeted with a swift kick from Kujo if we messed with his feet, much less play and tickle with them. So, hopes that means he can feel us playing with his legs.

We will do bicycles & running motions and it crossed my mind- I wonder if he wants to scratch himself? He was staring at me working with his legs and had his head on a tilt, almost saying "excuse me..." :lol:

We gently brought his back leg up to scratch his ear and WOW. He was in heaven! Of course we've given him scratchies and snuggles, but WE don't know what's itching! He had his eyes closed & lifted his head up like he had been waiting for that moment!!

We got to finally take Kujo to our friends pool with a floating vest (recommended by hit PT vet for 15 minute intervals) & he absolutely loved every minute! He was prominently kicking his left leg and slowly began with movement on his right side. We decided that trying with his tennis ball might add a fun twist & he was off! More-so on the left than anything, but movement is movement. After the pool Saturday, he has slowly started kicking his left leg when going to stand, like he is trying to push off and stand up. He will straighten it out when he gets his scratchies or is waking up...almost like he's stretching. :lol:

We pray that the good continues to flow our way. It hasn't been easy or fun to see Kujo not able to be his full self, but seeing his energy and readiness to get back to himself gives me so much hope and happiness for recovery. I can tell he WANTS to be up and moving but I know these things take patience and time.

Thank you again for the advice and kind words. Please voice anything that comes to mind that might help Kujo or us as his parents! Every little thing is so appreciated!! :angel:
critters
Founding Member

Post by critters »

:yay: Wow! That's great! I bet he's ready to get back to scratching his own ears by himself. :haha:
pbj_33

Post by pbj_33 »

First of all, I want to say thank you to everyone who has responded with helpful tips, tricks, and advice to help us get through this time.

Kujo is slowly but steadily making a recovery. We had PT down in Tally yesterday & Ms. Kathy (his rehab vet) said that when Kuj was in the water treadmill he was correctly using and placing his left leg/foot 90% of the time. His right side isn't as strong, so they followed with cold laser focusing on his weaker leg.

NOTE- Kujo has stopped taking his bladder medication. The only medication he is currently on is Acepromazine 10mg (sedatives, one every 12 hours) & he's being weaned off of his pain medication (I do not know the name off the top of my head) due to his vet and us not seeing any signs of him being in pain. He gets his sedative once at 10-11 a.m. and same time again at night.

Since we have seen improvements in Kujos bladder, we can allow him to snuggle with us at bedtime with the help of his male wraps. We enjoy having him in the bed so much & knew he missed being in his usual resting place. Bedtime for us is around 10:30 and that's when we get him in the bed with us. We spend about 2-3 hours of relaxing time with Kuj in our bed. Even if he isn't sleeping, he is fully spread out and relaxed. He has been given his sedative before "bed" time or during, seeing as us getting into bed may be earlier/ later on some days whereas his medication does not change times.

For the past couple of nights, going on a week, Kujo has been seemingly uncomfortable or unhappy when it's time for HIS bed time. Note that the bed time phrase used above is regarding my personal bed. When we start nodding off, we make sure to get kujo to his bed, wrap off, wiped down, and given water or food. Usually, Kuj will simply go to sleep. Even if there were a few minutes of getting comfy, once he was asleep, he would sleep pretty good minus moving himself when he would need to pee, but very little noise or movement.

Within the past week (give or take), Kujo has really struggled staying comfy at night. He will be completely still in our bed but the moment we move him to his bed, he will move it seems every 15 minutes. Starting at 2 a.m., when he gets put on his bed, going until 6 a.m., when I get up for work. Usually, Kuj would only move himself if he had to use the bathroom or had went on the pad he was on.

NOW, it doesn't seem that his movements are tied in with his bathroom routine. It seems as though he is just simply not comfortable or not pleased with the spot he was in and will slide over an inch or two. In ten minutes, he may move to the hardwood floor beside both of the beds where we have kept a potty pad since we brought him home. The hardwood is so much cooler than his bed.

We have not slept longer than an hour at a time for the past few nights. Normally, he would just gently adjust, which would wake me, but he'd go back to sleep like a flip of a switch. It doesn't bother me one bit to have to get up out of bed in the middle of the night to help him move. But I would simply be lying if I said that continually not getting rest didn't effect me. It makes me way less pleasant to deal with as well as making my body more exhausted & in exchange, has made getting Kujo around more difficult. I feel weak, almost, from exhaustion. My boyfriend cried at 6 a.m. this morning just because last night was so bad for our sleep. Maybe 2.5 hours. I think we both feel like we're losing our sanity.

Is there anyone who has experienced insomnia in their dog like this? Even though he's on his sedatives, he wants to be moving constantly but only when its the wee hours of the night/ morning. I have given Ms. Kathy a call and am waiting on a call back but it wouldn't hurt to have some advice, tips, or opinions given to me to help out my baby.

He does not seem to be in any pain as I stated, just not content with where he is when it get's later into the night.

Anything is very appreciated, as I type this with my eyelids falling lol. :grouph:
CarolC

Post by CarolC »

Hi! I've been wondering how it's been going. Glad to hear the rehab is going well. :D

Now you know the reason why this message board has so many sleepy smilies.
:snooze: :countsheep: :offtobed: :sleepingdog: :morning:

What you describe sounds like what has been described in older dogs. I can give you some links so if nothing else, you know it's not just you.

Two things people have suggested (and I haven't tried either one) are melatonin (a supplement that helps with sleep) and to turn on an electric fan and let it blow on him.
https://handicappedpet.net/helppets/viewtopic.php?p=61395#p61395 wrote: My 13 year old Golden Retriever is recently having a problem with this. As soon as 9pm comes...he gets restless and will barkbarkbarkbark. I think he would pace if he could but he has limited use of his rear legs. He does keep trying to get up a million times. He is also about 90 percent deaf now so that is confusing to him as well.

We started giving him Melatonin at 9pm every night. It works like a CHARM! He sleeps almost through the night only getting up once to change (try to) positions. I don't know the dosage for you because your dog is small but you could certainly discuss this with your Vet. I am so glad that my boyfriend thought of this because we have to monitor his quality of life daily now and this was really affecting it.
When my first dog, Old Dog, went down, I was beyond exhausted, I was desperate. I needed sleep SO badly. He would be awake in the middle of the night. If I had to get up to go to the restroom, I was afraid to flush and risk waking him up. It was hard physically and I was getting brittle and crabby at work. One day I went to a hotel near where I worked with the idea that I would literally rent a room so I could get a few hours of uninterrupted sleep. It turned out they wouldn't take a local check :? and I sat in the car in the parking lot with my head on the steering wheel and cried, and then went home.

When my golden retriever, Merlin, first went down, he would bark at night. My solution was, there was nothing else I could do for him so I finally moved to a bedroom where the restless barking didn't keep me awake. The bedroom on the far side of the central air unit worked better because if I left the air on the Fan setting so it ran nonstop all night, the noise was like white sound and I was able to sleep better. I wonder if you guys could rotate, and every night one of you could sleep in another room, so one is in the room with the dog (not sleeping well) and the other is getting some decent sleep.

You make a good point about it being harder to care for the dog physically when you are extra tired. I think it may also put you at higher risk to injure yourself. When I cared for Merlin, I think I started out at about 112 and went down to 104 (skinny, no muscle). He started at 63 and went down to 52 (as he lost muscle mass). :roll: But your size ratio with your dog means you're lifting even more for your size. I decided later that I should have started taking some kind of pain medication much sooner than I did. You are so focussed on caring for your dog, you unconsciously screen out your own aches and pains most of the time. I finally started taking Aleve and it helped a lot. Just wish I had done it much sooner. It's possible you're not just extremely tired, but also screening out a lot of aches and pains, and if a pain reliever or anti-inflammatory will take the edge off of it, everything will be a little bit easier.
https://handicappedpet.net/helppets/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=16501&p=87005#p87005 wrote: My dog Merlin was a 13-year old Golden retriever who gradually lost his continence the last 3 years of his life, and lost his mobility the last year. Like you I made sure he was fed, watered, diapered, cleaned, turned, petted, talked to, etc. But at night he would sometimes just bark. <snip> there were so many times when he would be all taken care of and in the middle of the night he would just bark. I was getting so tired, I finally started sleeping in the bedroom that was on the other side of the central air unit (which is in a closet upstairs) with the door closed, because the sound of the central air blowing drowned out some of the sound of the barking. I had to, I was just too exhausted, it was hard enough caring for a 65 lb dog without doing it on no sleep. I remember another member who was a fantastic caregiver who told the story of a dog she used to care for, that she would actually get up in the middle of the night and sneak around the long way to go to the restroom because if he heard her he would start barking.
Your description almost makes me wonder if he does have some mild pain. I wonder if trying him on a low dose of some mild pain medication would make a difference, just to try and see. You said you're not seeing any signs of pain, but it can be hard to tell, even for professionals. Your description sounds similar to an arthritic person who just can't get comfortable at night. I don't mean he has arthritis, but he is having to use extra effort to do everything right now. He may have sore muscles or something.

They say dogs do not always show their pain. It may be an old wives tale, but supposedly since dogs are pack animals, it is in their nature to appear stoic when in pain, because a weak member of the pack might be turned on by the others. I really don't know how much truth there is in that reasoning, but I have seen professional veterinary articles that say some dogs are stoic, which makes it difficult when trying to determine if they have deep pain sensation, because some of them don't react.

I just checked some information on acepromazine. It says in rare cases, some animals (more often cats) will be excited by it rather than sedated. I don't remember a lot of dogs here being on a sedative. If it isn't working, perhaps the vet might have you try stopping it to see if he is better. I have a dog that sometimes has neck problems and the thing that makes her finally able to relax is diazepam (Valium). If he really needs a sedative, perhaps trying a different one would work better with his system.
www.wedgewoodpharmacy.com wrote: Occasionally, animals (particularly cats) may have a paradoxical response to acepromazine and become excited or aggressive.
One more idea might be to sleep on the floor next to him. The floor might be hard, but it might be better than only getting 2.5 hours of sleep, because you've got to have more than that. I hope you can find something that will settle him at night. If the vet comes up with a good solution, I hope you will post it here, as this is a common problem and it may help someone else. I hope you can all get some :snooze:
pbj_33

Post by pbj_33 »

Hey there CarolC.,

We have been busy bee's since we got him home but I can not complain.

Being from a religious background, when Kuj first "went down" & we had to leave him in Tallahassee, I prayed for what seemed like nonstop. Specifically for him to come home HEALTHY. So, prayers were answered and we have continued to pray for healing (and for the past week, sleep lol!) & we've slowly but steadily seen him make imrovements.

Last night, I spoke with Kujo's primary vet in our hometown just to have second and third opinions.

She believes that even though we take Kujo out several times a day, his sleep schedule is simply backwards. Since I work 8-5 (one hour break) & my boy friend (or doggy dad as I call him) goes to work at 11-2:30 & goes back from 5-9. So, luckily he doesn't get left alone too much during the day with how we schedule our breaks. Usually, we would be home more at night. Even with Cole (boyfriend) working some nights, they are rare. So with the combination of being on bed rest in the same room, the change in OUR personal work schedules, and him getting sedatives in the morning and at night, she gave me some wonderful tips.

She suggests that we cut back on sedating him in the morning. I'm not sure how that will work but I'm willing to try anything at this point. She also said if he seems comfortable when he's in our bed, to sedate him when we get ready to put him in his bed.

AND WOW. I got up twice last night. That was all.

When I got home yesterday, we did our usual outside activities for the evening. It consists of stretches, rolling his tennis ball back and forth, doing sit to stand movements, walking/swimming in the pool, etc. He' a very high energy dog and it takes a lot to tire him out. I can tell he still has a good amount of energy, even with him being on sedatives. I do those activities around 6-7 and we stay out for as long as he likes. Most of the time an hour or so.

We were also informed that the sedatives can be given every 8-12 hours. So, giving it to him at 10 p.m. and then putting him in his bed around 2, the strongest parts of the sedatives are wearing off. We didn't know that. We didn't sedate him until almost 2 a.m.!

I always express bladder before bed for obvious reasons & he naturally went #2 at the same time. That saved us from waking up in the next 30 minutes to him needing to poop. He was snoring within the hour and I wasn't woken up except to use the bathroom and once more on my own just to make sure he was o.k. since he was so quiet :lol:

We have him on a pain medication but since the events last night, we believe the sedative medication was the main reason. We are slowly weaning him off of that because the vet doesn't believe he's in pain. Like you said, dogs are not quick to show pain or struggle. They have an incredibly high pain tolerance and even when something is bothering them, they are pack animals and don't want to show they may be weaker than normal. When you raise a dog, they see you as their pack & will hide pain to seem normal or strong.

Sometimes, very rare, I will feel like Kuj is sad. It may be his sedatives but when I feel that he seems sad, we will do activities. It's usually when I come home on break & he has been alone for an hour or so. I'll love on him and tell him how great he is, start playing with his toys (trying to initiate him to play) and that seems to get him out of his slump. Like I said, very rare, but I don't like seeing him that way.

He's been very picky about eating his normal food. He wouldn't eat out of his bowl, only off his blanket. Last night I could NOT seem to get him to eat his food whatsoever but he was chomping on baby carrots. He would take human (healthy) snacks, peanut butter on a tortilla, greek yogurt with peanut butter, basically anything with peanut butter :lol:

Thank you all for your comments and help.
CarolC

Post by CarolC »

pbj_33 wrote: Fri Jul 16, 2021 10:42 am She suggests that we cut back on sedating him in the morning. I'm not sure how that will work but I'm willing to try anything at this point. She also said if he seems comfortable when he's in our bed, to sedate him when we get ready to put him in his bed.

AND WOW. I got up twice last night. That was all.

<snip>

We were also informed that the sedatives can be given every 8-12 hours. So, giving it to him at 10 p.m. and then putting him in his bed around 2, the strongest parts of the sedatives are wearing off. We didn't know that. We didn't sedate him until almost 2 a.m.
That is wonderful! I wish I'd thought to check the dosing. I've never used acepromazine. I only wished I had it with Merlin, but with his kidney trouble I never asked about it as I felt I'd be sedating him for myself and not for him (he was not young and active like your dog). He probably had the same issue as Kujo. I was out of the house and at work 9 hrs a day. I'd come home at lunch and get him up and change him, but he probably slept most of the morning and afternoon, so he wasn't tired when the rest of us were ready for bed. There is a saying around this forum to "Put the oxygen mask on yourself first", like they tell you on an airplane when you are travelling with kids. Sometimes you have to take care of yourself, so you'll be able to continue taking care of your pet. I'm so glad your solution worked!
:sleepingdog:
critters
Founding Member

Post by critters »

I can't remember if we mentioned that he might feel "pins and needles" or other odd sensations as the paralysis improves and that meds tend to help a lot with that, just like with people. Critters can do damage biting themselves, or you might get tagged if you happen to be in the way (happened to me).
pbj_33

Post by pbj_33 »

Critters & CarolC.,

He has completely adjusted to only being sedated at night. It honestly wasn't a huge transition like I was expecting to see (possibly because we had already seen the worst of the "backwards schedule" or so I pray). We went to the pool Wednesday, Tallahassee for PT Thursday, pool again Friday & we rested Saturday & Sunday- doing sit to stand exercises & outside play time.

Next week, we have our family beach trip with Coles side of the family. It consists of 10 adults, including Cole & myself (us being the youngest adults) & 5 kids under 5. We haven't taken him before with the family due to the young kids, how big he is, the house size, etc.

We initially, without question, decided that Kujo would be attending with us this year. It is not an option for us to have him left with family like in the past. I trust them but this is a different Kujo than they have taken care of before & I simply could not ask anyone else to take that on while I go enjoy myself at the beach. Plus, we'd be worried sick. We hate going anywhere for long periods without him, but especially with him being "down", we just didn't like the idea. So, it would be stressful for them & us as we hope he's being taken care of correctly.

We found out room situations this weekend. We are in a tall, 5 story beach house. Kujo, Cole, & I are, ironically, on the 4th floor. :roll: That's just how it landed & we ended up being able to switch to a lower level but there is no elevator, therefore moving Kujo outside would be difficult. We would not be able to take him with us to the beach except for maybe 15-20 minutes of the day per his vet. They don't want him over-heating or over exhausting himself. (We planned on walking him down in the evening when it would be cooler.) Then the vet also added another few points to think about.

-How often we would be checking on him. (likely every 10-20 minutes with how we worry lol)
-We would be in a "new" place, unfamiliar to Kujo. This would make it likely for him to become uncomfortable or stressed, especially with young children. (Kujo is familiar with each of them & loves them dearly. He's very used to playing with them, not watching from the sidelines).
-If we felt like we needed a vacation. (wait, what?)
-Kujo is comfortable with CVS staff and his vets, seeing as he is a weekly regular and stayed for a month previously. He still gets anxious BUT he knows where he is.

I was worried that when we started thinking of boarding him for the trip that his vets would think that we're selfish for leaving him behind. Heck, leaving at all! We've been around the clock with Kujo for a month (almost) & it's been a wild ride. Some days are so simple, others I feel like my back could literally snap from being so tired/ sore. That is my own fault, I really don't take care of myself how I should be right now.

Both of our moms have said they agree with the vets opinion & think it would do our bodies good to have time to ourselves for a couple days. I would be a liar if I said it didn't sound nice but feels so wrong.

They would have Kujo 4 days & 3 nights while doing 2 days of therapy. I'm quite stuck between feeling like the worst parent ever & swallowing my pride and allowing them to take care & give treatment to Kujo. I LOVE that we can do two therapy sessions while he'd be there since we only do one time a week right now.

The only change over the weekend is that I finally got to speak with Kujo's Rehab Vet at CVS, Ms. Kathy. I expressed Kuj's sleep habits over the past couple nights before we started not medicating him in the morning. She gave such helpful information. His sedatives are more-so MIND sedating drugs as to where they could prescribe him something that would relax his body more. He's been a picky eater as well but I assume that it's tied into the medication changes. He will eat the most food when he's medicated but as I stated previously, he has never been the biggest eater (crazy, I know.)

Please feel free to leave your opinions or tips, if it would be best to board him or not & advice if we decide not to. :help:

I hope everyone is having a spectacular Monday! :wub:
critters
Founding Member

Post by critters »

Hmmm. Well, it seems to me that it'd be a lot easier on y'all to board him, and they'd certainly be able to recognize problems and to take care of them. I wouldn't think that Kujo would mind it there, and he might even like it. Or, at least, he could tolerate it. 4th floor is a tough one!!
CarolC

Post by CarolC »

Any chance of getting a handicapped accessible room where you are going?

The VCA sounds OK if (and only if) they keep him dry and on soft bedding. Most vet clinics send the staff home overnight, so there is no one watching the pets in boarding from maybe 7 PM till 7 AM. Theoretically, in the worst case scenario, he could wet a blanket and lie on it for hours. I only say this because it happened to me. For example, if he did not get expressed well enough at bedtime because the tech staff was not familiar with him and thought his bladder was empty but it wasn't. In your mind, you think they are medical people and will see to all of this properly, but not necessarily. I've been surprised.

If you board him, I would insist that he be expressed by someone who knows what they are doing before they go home at 7PM, buttered with a moisture barrier, and put in a male wrap with a maximum absorbency pad for over night. That way you have less worry about a wet blanket while there is no one there to watch him.
pbj_33

Post by pbj_33 »

CarolC.,

When I spoke with his rehab tech, she assured me of a few things.

They are a facility that is 24 hours since they are emergency specialists. They are open to the public until 10 p.m. on weekdays, but have nurses/techs there around the clock. So, he will be checked on routinely throughout the night.

During the day, they will take him outside with his sling & we have scheduled that he have two therapy sessions vs. one. She said that it will be the same routine as when he stayed a month ago, except he can move a little better so maybe they may be able to do a little more.

Of course, Kujo will never feel "at home" away from home, but being with us helps. That made me assume taking him with us would be best. She said that even though he won't be with us, he will be with his doctors that he is familiar with, sees once a week, & has stayed previously with them. They are up to date on his medical needs & want to monitor how he is sleeping to see if we should change medications before bedtime.

We are still in the middle but my primary vet town agreed that we would be helping him more to board him & let him get therapy done vs. putting him in a high stress environment.

I know that if we board him, I'll be stressed thinking about him. She reminded me that they have a 24 hour number that I can text for updates, pictures, etc. & that was my saving grace the month he was away when this all began.
CarolC

Post by CarolC »

In that case, I would definitely board him and take a well-deserved vacation. If you've got a 24-hr facility, that's perfect! He'll be at doggie camp and probably having a lot of fun while you're worrying about him. :wink: :wink:
pbj_33

Post by pbj_33 »

CarolC.,

I believe that may be what we go with. Plus, my mom said it best. We need to take care of ourselves in order to take care of him to the best we can. The rest of the family will be gone for 10 days but we will only stay 4 nights. Still seems too long without my boy.

I am in no way requesting financial support rather than your opinion. We do have a gofundme set up for Kujo, but without sharing on Facebook, it hasn't proven to be successful.

Have you ever created a fundraiser for your pets & if so, how did you get it started & spread the word??

Thank you so much for all your help!

P.S.- Kujo has began bending his legs at what I consider his knee joint when he's ready to stand. He was keeping both legs locked straight when sitting up or trying to move. This is a great sight and was our next thing to look for!! YAY! :angel: