I told him about how Pip does a full body shake (like a wet dog shaking off water) sometimes when being carried, so his staff will be aware of it when handling him.
I told him how Pip sometimes is unable to belch unless I pick him up and change his position, due to the large blob of glue that was put under his chin to prevent his chin from going down onto his chest, thereby opening up the space in the atlantoaxial area. He says he'll have no trouble getting the tube down because they had one for surgery and they had one for the follow-up x-rays.
We discussed his recovery after surgery, and he says he'll want someone to hold Pip while he's waking up, which was something I thought of, too. It wouldn't be safe to put him in a kennel, because he may wake up and thrash while trying to get sternal and hit his head inside the crate. I offered to be there to hold him, to free up their staff.
We disussed how he will kick himself across the room while defecating, which is another case where he could potentially hurt his neck if he does this while confined inside a stainless kennel like they have at the vet.
I explained how he sometimes hooks his front leg with a claw on his hind foot, and how it could appear to be neck pain when it is actually a hooked claw, and what to look for. (There are a lot of things about him that nobody would know if they don't live with him.)
And I described my idea of what to do if his neck gets out of alignment. I worry because he can't hurt himself on the up and down axis (like nodding) because of the lump of glue, but he could potentially misalign to one side or the other. My idea is to invert him so he is head down and hope the "hanging traction" of the weight of his head would fix the alignment. I don't have a better idea. He seemed to think it might be a good idea. I'm sure in the following days he'll think about it more and maybe he'll have a better idea. I just feel like you need some kind of plan in case something goes wrong with alignment and must be done right away.
The last thing we discussed was the fact that the surgeon did the ventral surgery, and that a dorsal surgery exists for cases where ventral failed, but she says they didn't teach it at A&M and she's never heard of it and doesn't know how to do it. So the vet said he would put feelers out and see if he could find anyone in Texas that does it. (That is not part of the dental, just our discussion.)
He has Clavamox tablets that we are to start one week before the dental, and continue another week after the dental, to try to prevent any infection from the dental settling in his implants.
Right now he is scheduled for his dental in early March, and they were careful to pick a date when this vet will be there, so I feel we have done everything the best we can. He says his heart and lungs sound fine. I'll update later when we have it done.