Pip diagnosis - Central cord syndrome

Neurological Disorders Resources. Treatment and care for pets having pain or trouble walking or standing due to spinal injuries or neurological disorders like IVDD, FCE and DM.
CarolC

Re: Pip diagnosis - Central cord syndrome

Post by CarolC »

Since it was Walmart there's a 30-day return policy and you can take it into the store, you don't have to pay shipping.
critters
Founding Member

Post by critters »

Walmart??!!! :shock:
CarolC

Post by CarolC »

Yeah! WW is a Pro Seller or whatever on walmart.com, and they had a used small WW for $169, guaranteed to be in perfect working condition with only cosmetic flaws. I didn't care about cosmetic flaws.

They didn't have a used cart listed on their main website under DEALS, and I also checked eBay, and I checked useddogwheelchairs.com, but they didn't have the size. I thought $169 was great for a perfectly good used cart so I tried it.

When it came, I couldn't find any cosmetic flaws. It even still had a film of machine oil on the struts when I was putting it together. It was in the original box, all the parts were in plastic bags with the packing and everything. No trace of dirt or fur. As far as I could tell it looked new.

It didn't work out for us, but that was why I was willing to try it and I don't feel bad. They also had a used mini for $169 at the time. If you look now you don't see any used carts. They sold out. Don't know if they will post more later. I would tell people to always check on walmart.com along with other sites.

P.S. It was supposed to come on Jan 11, Walmart sent an email saying it would be Jan 12, it arrived on Jan 6, so it only took 5 days with free shipping in spite of New Year's.
CarolC

Post by CarolC »

Double post, but today we tried Wall Treats after not doing it since the end of October when he couldn't seem to do it and looked uncomfortable. I got the peanut butter treats out and he about licked my hand off with excitement. I put one down for a 3' walk and he did it with effort but no apparent discomfort. When I put the next one down he got up and did it with visible confidence... I thought 2 was enough after 11 weeks off. We will try it again tomorrow. Life just got better.
CarolC

Post by CarolC »

I got Pip's trolley dog run put on the fence today. It has 6 sections so there are 5 joints, and the rollers get hung up when they roll through 2 of the joints. I'm hoping it's just the heavy duty rollers that stick. I have a set of nylon rollers I didn't try yet. Will do that tomorrow. It's possible there's dirt in the track because I got dirt in the ends when I was connecting the pieces of track together out in the yard. I still need his harness sling, which is coming.
:wrench: :saw: :hammer:
critters
Founding Member

Post by critters »

Sounds interesting!!
CarolC

Post by CarolC »

The trolley is done. We tried it with a harness I thought would work and the harness didn't work for him, so we need to change that. When he had his living room trolley he used a nylon front harness and an infinity scarf from the thrift shop that I cut holes in for the back, but I don't have it anymore. I guess I need to get another one. But the track is built! It's 48' long. If we can get to where he is able to use it, I'll do a DYI post on how to make it.

Trolley.JPG
critters
Founding Member

Post by critters »

:wow: :thankyou: Now I get it!! :smart:
CarolC

Post by CarolC »

Progress. :bounce: We are using the same kind of chest harness and scarf sling for the rear as we used last year, and it was familiar to him when we did it that way today. We did 3 or 4 "walks" along the run and he did quite well considering he hasn't had any practice recently. He hasn't forgotten and wants to do it. I was walking beside him with a hand on the trolley, but later I hope he will become able to do it 100% himself, but we need to build back up. May need to slightly tweak the height of the double harness, but it was working. Right now it looks like a mess of harness, scarf, rope, string, and 4 spring clips. Hopefully we can simplify it soon. When I brought him inside afterward, he seemed pretty happy. :)

It was pretty easy to do. When we got to the end, I left him hooked up and picked him up and carried him back to the beginning, bringing the trolley along with us. Then we went again. It would be nice if I could just turn him around and let him walk back the other direction, but it's too hard getting him unclipped and clipped because he can't stand without support so I have to hold him with one hand, and the clips aren't easy to operate one-handed.
critters
Founding Member

Post by critters »

Maybe one day you can rig up some sort of circuit, or at least a U, to save yourself a little trouble.
CarolC

Post by CarolC »

I would love that. They do sell curved track to go around corners. It would require some kind of framing to support the return track though. An oval track would probably require at least a post sunk in the ground every 8 feet on the return side, and track's expensive, but wouldn't it be nice? If he gets really good at it, it would be tempting, just to watch him go flying around the whole circuit nonstop.
:wub: :D
critters
Founding Member

Post by critters »

Yeah, that'd be cool!
CarolC

Post by CarolC »

He hooked himself again this morning, left hind toe caught in hollow of ACL behind right knee. I heard him and got to him right away. He was in so much distress he laid on his side with his head back in agony and bit down hard on nothing twice with his teeth. Clonk! Clonk! It was a loud. I picked him up and it took at least 5-7 seconds of pulling (I mean really pulling, tug-of-war, muscle) to loosen him. You wouldn't think a 100+ lb human would have to physically struggle to pull a 9-lb dog's leg free. When it wasn't working after about 3-4 seconds I bounced him in my arm a little while still pulling. That didn't jostle him free either but he came loose a couple of seconds later. I'm not sure that's a good idea, I don't think I'll do it again. His nails don't look long. I worry there's a chance he will hurt his ACL. We tried toenail caps when he was scratching his armpit, he won't tolerate them.
critters
Founding Member

Post by critters »

Maybe he was scared?? Poor little fella...
CarolC

Post by CarolC »

I just went to look for some Neopaws socks that looked good when I looked before and their website is down. Aaargh. I'm going to try some-kind-of-sock on that one foot. Is that even healthy to wear a sock 24/7? Seriously? Need the breathable kind. I'll probably have to take it off every time he goes on his trolley. Shoot.