The dreaded coyote attack

Neurological Disorders Resources. Treatment and care for pets having pain or trouble walking or standing due to spinal injuries or neurological disorders like IVDD, FCE and DM.
FYI

Wobbly Cat Rescue group - Layton, Utah

Post by FYI »

https://www.wobblycatrescue.com/about
Wobbly Cat Rescue has a simple mission, which is to care for disabled kitties and help them live happy lives.

We provide sanctuary, care, enrichment, and therapy for cats with Cerebellar Hypoplasia (Wobbly Cat Syndrome). CH affects motor control, so these kitties just need some extra help getting around and doing basic things. CH cats can have a long happy life with the help of a friend to care for them. Our rescue also helps with some other special needs like Radial Hypoplasia (Twisted Leg Syndrome) as well as cats healing from physical/emotional trauma.
CarolC

Re: The dreaded coyote attack

Post by CarolC »

This place may say they moslty rescue from shelters, but I would ask anyway, they sound great.

https://whiskersutah.org/
FYI

Tasha's Furry Friends - Trenton, Utah

Post by FYI »

https://www.tashasfurryfriends.org/contact-us.html
https://www.tashasfurryfriends.org/index.html wrote:Tasha’s Furry Friends Sanctuary mission is to provide senior cats and special needs cats with a safe haven to ensure they can live out their lives in comfort, compassion, and with companionship in their senior years.

Tasha’s Furry Friends Sanctuary was founded on the belief that all cats deserve a second chance at life. Tasha’s Furry Friends Sanctuary provides care for senior cats and special needs cats that are unable to find homes due to age, chronic illness, physical disabilities, temperament and behavioral issues, abuse, or other factors.

Unlike traditional shelters that emphasize adoption, the primary purpose of Tasha’s Furry Friends Sanctuary is to provide lifetime care for the cats and to provide them a life of love and companionship for as long as they are with us.
pioneerMan

Post by pioneerMan »

critters wrote: Thu Oct 14, 2021 7:32 am I'm wondering if her refusal to eat by herself could be learned behavior at this point?
Except she will join the other cats at the feeding dish in the mornings to lap up raw egg. I will try again tonight to see if she will lap up fish smoothie from a plate.
pioneerMan

Post by pioneerMan »

Thanks everyone for the suggested rescues that may take Sandy. I have added them to a list on my computer for future reference. That is because I found an organization on Facebook who can help. I will be taking Sandy to Tremonton this weekend.

LoreleisLegacy.org

I don't know what Sandy's future holds. I still hope more healing will take place, but just this morning one of her eyes looks even worse. I know I've done my best, and this organization will keep me posted.
CarolC

Post by CarolC »

:newyear: :yay: :hurray: :ecstatic: :hurray: :yay: :party:

Hallelujah!!! That is wonderful! I'm so happy for both of you! That rescue looks great. They focus on medical rescues, so it sounds like just what she needs right now. I'm glad they'll keep you posted, after all you've done for her. She's a really lucky cat. I'd like to know how it turns out, too. I think she'll do well if they can nurse her through the URI and eye issues. Someone will fall in love with her. She's super sweet, you've got her used to being handled and fed, she's so pretty (shouldn't matter but it helps), her ongoing special needs will not be expensive financially, she's young, she's got a lot going for her. You will always know you did the very best you could for her. I'm so glad you found a place!

And I don't think I ever said, I'm sorry about your other cat, Fefe. I'm so glad you were able to save Sandy.
pioneerMan

Post by pioneerMan »

CarolC wrote: Thu Oct 14, 2021 6:33 pm I'm so glad you found a place! And I don't think I ever said, I'm sorry about your other cat, Fefe. I'm so glad you were able to save Sandy.
Thanks CarolC! I'll never forget Fefe. She was an amazing cat and a photo of her is now the desktop wallpaper on my computer.
critters
Founding Member

Post by critters »

Aww. It's a mixed blessing, for sure, because it's SO hard to give them up...
pioneerMan

Post by pioneerMan »

Just checking in to offer an update. Sandy had her eyes removed today at the vet. The animal rescue that took her said she is doing well and starting to eat wet food on her own by lapping it up with her tongue. Still no movement with her jaw.

I would post a photo here, but it's a little disturbing seeing a cat with no eyes. They said she's the nicest cat in the world. True that.
critters
Founding Member

Post by critters »

Aww, poor baby! I'm glad she can eat some on her own in some form or fashion. Being sweet is SO helpful when you're trying to take care of them.
CarolC

Post by CarolC »

I see kitties like that on Petfinder sometimes. They look like they have their eyes closed. If they could have cured it with medication, I'm sure they would have. That is really good that she is starting to eat wet food.

viewtopic.php?f=18&t=22399&p=111621#p111621

I hope someday you will get to see an adoption photo for her and her adopter. It makes you so happy when you see who adopted the pet. Usually in my experience it turns out to be someone who is better than I imagined. Rescues are so careful about who they adopt out to, they end up with high quality adopters.

I ended up with a puppy when a friend passed away, and I was able to get it in to a rescue thanks to some good people. When I saw the adoption photo I was totally amazed. That puppy had been owned by a single man, and it was adopted out to a single man, and I swear that man looked like he and my friend who passed away could have been brothers. That guy looked like the perfect match for that puppy. All I could think was, my friend would have been pleased. I hope you will be pleased with how it works out, too.
pioneerMan

Post by pioneerMan »

I looked at link link for these blind kittens and now I'm understanding that this situation is a little more common than I realized. It's so sad, but I'm glad to see they all appear to still live a decent life. Thanks for posting.

Why don't we ever see these types of eye infections in humans? I have NEVER seen a human that had to have their eyes removed and eyelids sewn closed. Very strange that it's such an issue in the animal kingdom.
CarolC

Post by CarolC »

I don't know either. Maybe it's something about that particular virus, which dogs and humans don't get. Unfortunately they don't have a cure for it, only some treatments. You had her strong and healthy before the injury, but she was surely under massive stress afterward, both from the physical injury and the memory of it and adjusting to a change of routine. I don't think you could have prevented the eye infection, when it's surprising you were able to save her at all with an injury like that. I used to think cats were easy to care for and dogs were hard. Now I think cats are like hothouse flowers because of the viruses they get, and dogs are easier. FVR, FIP, FIV, FeLV, all feline, all viral, all hard to deal with (well, FIV isn't that bad but it's another one they can't cure). But that's not really an answer, I don't know the answer.

Blind cats do amazingly well as indoor cats. They can even catch mice. When I watch this video, I believe it!

If you have time, go on Youtube and search "blind cat playing". Pretty amazing. :D
pioneerMan

Post by pioneerMan »

Wow, what an amazing video. I'm stunned that the cat didn't bump into things and was always able to retrieve the toy. I had no idea blind cats could rely so much on hearing to get around. It makes me glad that I didn't put Sandy down at the vet.