Newbie but need support

Neurological Disorders Resources. Treatment and care for pets having pain or trouble walking or standing due to spinal injuries or neurological disorders like IVDD, FCE and DM.
coxmaria3

Re: Newbie but need support

Post by coxmaria3 »

Merry Christmas Eve to all!

Tink continues to improve with his bodily functions. We've been sleeping in since everyone has been home and Tink holds his pee until everyone gets up to take him out. His pooping control is getting better as well. He's able to squat better than he could a week ago. He no longer has to go immediately to poop after eating. He can hold it until he's ready to go out. :cheer:

I was also able to get him started on cosequin. I have to cut it up and mix it with his food because he won't eat the chewable. Diva dog!

Could not imagine he would be this far along when I joined this board. Thank you all for the support you have given and continue to give!!

Merry Christmas to you and your fur babies/families!
CarolC

Post by CarolC »

Yes, it's been a lot of progress in two months. He's done so well. :snoopy:

Thanks for your comments and input on Pip. I am trying turkey raw diet for him instead of chicken, to see if it makes any difference with the spot on his leg, in case allergy has anything to do with it like you suggested. He'll have his first try of turkey tonight.

It's a journey with our pets, isn't it. Trying to work with them along the way, seeing what they need, figuring out what might help.

Merry Christmas to Tinker and his family, and everyone caring for special needs pets. :D
:xmastree:
critters
Founding Member

Post by critters »

Merry Christmas to y'all, too. :xmastree:
coxmaria3

Post by coxmaria3 »

Hello friends! I haven't posted in a while because we've absolutely been enjoying just time as a family. DD is still home but goes back to college this Saturday. DS and I went back to school and work this week so DD has been on dog duty with Colonel and Tink. She said yesterday Tink actually went to the door and pawed to go out to poop. :party: Very exciting!

However, he still doesn't hold it very well and might just let it loose, especially when he's excited. However, it's very good poop and it just gets picked up and flushed. TMI but it's so much nicer than pee accidents.

He's been stretching A LOT. He goes down on his front legs and stretches his back with his back legs up. He did this a bit before the accident, but he does it a lot more now. :?:

We have a snow day today so this is my current situation.
20220106_091948.jpg
Drinking coffee, reading, and snuggling the pups. Even though Colonel is enormous, he thinks he's a lap dog.

Happy New Year fur baby friends!
CarolC

Post by CarolC »

Awww! What a happy picture. Yes, looks like you need a bigger sofa to fit Colonel. :D The picture reminds me of a really good children's book, The Five-Dog Night.

There is no such thing as TMI with pet issues. :lol: Very glad you have the Kleenex clean-up now, so much easier. I did learn (the hard way) that if you are going to throw dog waste into the toilet, toilet paper will be fine but if you keep tossing in facial tissue like Kleenex, you may end up needing a plumber. I did that and was told (by the plumber) that Kleenex does not dissolve in the sewer line like toilet paper does. To me it's too much trouble to go tear off toilet paper every time I need to pick something up, so I've gotten in the habit of still using Kleenex, and I carry it to the rolling bin in the garage. It's already got kitty litter in it so what's the difference? :roll: :lol:

I don't know about the stretching, haven't really heard anyone mention that before. It seems like maybe he's just trying to limber up a little? It must feel good.

Looks like you had a wonderful snow :cold: day!
critters
Founding Member

Post by critters »

When my grandma died my grandpa lost his mind a bit and flushed all the tissues. A dose of good soap, like dish soap or cheap shampoo, will usually grease it on through. Let it sit a while, then plunge gently. Soaps can also help break up OTHER clog problems, too. :wink:
CarolC

Post by CarolC »

Great tip!! :thankyou:
coxmaria3

Post by coxmaria3 »

Agreed!! Great tip! :thankyou:
critters
Founding Member

Post by critters »

When my nephew was little he'd flush toys and all kinds of stuff. "Greasing" the stuff sent most of it on down the street.
coxmaria3

Post by coxmaria3 »

This week has been interesting in terms of bodily functions because Tink has been home during the day by himself after a month. This got his pooping schedule all messed up. He accidently pooped in his beloved bed during the night once this week and now refuses to sleep in it even after washing multiple times. He's back to being restless at night alternating between begging to get in the bed and sleeping under the bed. :roll: It's been some long nights. He's taken to sleeping in his old bed during the day but will not sleep in old bed at night. Does anyone have any suggestions on getting him back in this bed?
CarolC

Post by CarolC »

Boy, I don't know. You would think if it gets cold enough he'd get into it, wouldn't you. :?

Maybe put a really nice blanket on the new bed? Maybe put a T-shirt (worn from the laundry hamper?) on the bed like a pillowcase? Maybe put the new bed by that sunny patio door window where he likes to be anyway and see if he'll get over it? Put the new bed where Colonel will lie on it? Put a bedtime treat on the bed?

Another idea is to put something different down. Like a super thick high loft plush blanket. Dense. Not thin cheap fleece. My dog has several from the thrift shop children's aisle and she sleeps on those. They put warmth under her, she's not a burrower.

Last resort, get another bed just like it and rotate them and consider it the price of sleep? :sleepingdog: If he won't sleep in the new one, take it back.

So sorry you are going through this, as sleep is very important to sanity and getting through the day...
coxmaria3

Post by coxmaria3 »

Washed the new bed again, had Colonel chew on it some, hid Tink's toys in them, hid his greenie in it, put it in the sunshine, and put one of his blankets I've slept with in it. Now, he alternates between under the bed, the new bed, and his old bed throughout the night. This boy! He is spoiled rotten.
King
King
This was tonight when we laid down. :roll:
CarolC

Post by CarolC »

coxmaria3 wrote: Tue Jan 18, 2022 10:34 pm This boy! He is spoiled rotten.
He is much loved! :angel: Hope you got some better sleep last night, and he did, too! I guess persistence paid off! :D
critters
Founding Member

Post by critters »

:lol:
coxmaria3

Post by coxmaria3 »

Long time since my l last update. I've had a difficult time with DD being back at college. She plays softball and their schedule starts next weekend. She will not be able to come back home until the second week in May. I've been going to see her the last two weekends while DH and DS finished up duck hunting season.

Tinker is fabulous! Still having trouble holding #2 while he's home by himself during the day. But, we've been out of school the last 2 days for winter weather and zero #2 accidents in the house. He lets me know when he needs to go and I can take him out. He's also started staying in place when he's going poop. Before he would squat and then end up rising up on his front paws and then just casually walking off while releasig his poop. If I was out with him, I would help hold him in place until he was finished. But, the last 2 days he's been able to hold his squat normally and do his business! :clap:

He's been sleeping in his new bed (the one he pooped in) right beside our bed. Therefore, we are able to leave his old bed in the living room by the window instead of having to move beds around the house all the time. No whining, no crying. We miss him sleeping with us but our bed is to high for a ramp or steps. Not that I would want steps any way. But I did get a ramp and he would have to be a mountain climber to use it. :shock: He does nap on the bed with us, but Maria are few and far between.

We are so blessed that things have turned out as well as they have and I know he will continue to improve. However, at this point, there is nothing he can't do that I would want him to do. :trophy: