Newbie but need support

Neurological Disorders Resources. Treatment and care for pets having pain or trouble walking or standing due to spinal injuries or neurological disorders like IVDD, FCE and DM.
CarolC

Re: Newbie but need support

Post by CarolC »

coxmaria3 wrote: Mon Nov 29, 2021 8:15 pm I am thinking about getting him started on some sort of joint supplement. Does anyone have a recommendation for little dogs? Preferably something OTC before I call the vet's office? I know they will have a recommendation but it won't be OTC.
Bobbie was a chemistry professor at UC and she runs the cart program for CorgiAid. She used glucosamine and SAM-e with her dogs. The forum search engine will not search a 3-letter word so you can't look up something like MSM and it won't search SAM-e for me, but here is a search of Bobbie's posts using the term 'glucosamine'. She often mentioned the other two in the same posts.

search.php?st=0&sk=t&sd=d&sr=posts&keyw ... 0&start=15

I have not used many OTC supplements with my pets. I used ProMotion for several dogs and it contains glucosamine and cosequin. It comes in different sizes and you can break the tablets, they are chewables. I think it helped my senior golden retriever.

https://www.entirelypets.com/promotiondog.html

I don't know much about any of these and can't tell you if there are any cautions or tips you should know. Here is a post about cosequin. It mentions it takes a while to build up and become effective. That was what I also read about glucosmine when used in humans (I took it for my hip and it worked). They said in humans it could take up to 12 weeks to work but I was seeing a difference in a month. (Diana R. is an attorney in Colorado.)

viewtopic.php?p=80974#p80974
coxmaria3

Post by coxmaria3 »

Not sure what keeps happening. This is the fourth time I've tried to post. So I'm keeping it short. Maybe that will help.

Bella use to take meds for her joints from the vet but it was SUPER expensive. I seem to remember something at Walmart. Will check.

All is well with Tink. Got him a new bed so Colonel could have his back. He has not moved from it in HOURS so I've just left him there.
Thanks mom!
Thanks mom!
Tink continues to improve and get stronger. Bodily function control continues to improve. No poop in the house since Monday.
CarolC

Post by CarolC »

He looks like he approves! :sleepingdog: :D

It really good about the clean house since Monday. When I first read that I didn't realize how many days that is. It's nearly a week! Good to hear of the steady progress. If his surgery was October 21, then you're just a little over 6 weeks, so he's doing really well. There are plenty of IVDD dogs that aren't walking yet at 6 weeks. Recovery will continue for months and literally years.

I hope the board isn't acting up. If you get any errors please copy them down so someone can try to follow up on it. I'm sorry you had to redo and redo your post. I've lost my share in the past, usually the long ones. :roll:
Glad to hear the good news! :snoopy:
critters
Founding Member

Post by critters »

Awwww! :hearts:
coxmaria3

Post by coxmaria3 »

Guess I should not have spoken so soon. Poop in the house every day this week by the door where he's trying to go out. He just can't hold it and gotten off schedule. I may try to get him to poop on demand again in the morning to see if I can get him back on schedule. Bless him. He's still a work in progress, but I'll take it.

The best news is he's taken to sleeping in his new bed every night and doesn't whine or cry to get in the bed with us. He wakes up in the morning frisky, happy, and wanting to play. He's not done that in a long time, even before the dreaded accident. Maybe he was hurting before the accident and the lack of jumping on and off things and going up and going down stairs and the actual surgery has made him better. :? He ran all over the yard without his brother and ventured down to visit our chickens this afternoon. He's exhausted.

His little back has a very visible and palpable hump in it now where he had surgery. There's just not much cushion on top.

I think my issues with the board are with my Chrome browser and not the actual board.
CarolC

Post by CarolC »

coxmaria3 wrote: Thu Dec 09, 2021 7:05 pm The best news is he's taken to sleeping in his new bed every night and doesn't whine or cry to get in the bed with us. He wakes up in the morning frisky, happy, and wanting to play. He's not done that in a long time, even before the dreaded accident. Maybe he was hurting before the accident and the lack of jumping on and off things and going up and going down stairs and the actual surgery has made him better. :?
I'm glad he loves his new bed-bed. :sleepingdog: I could totally believe the idea that he might have been feeling discomfort for a long time. Older dogs tend to have more chronic age-related degenerative disk disease, so what you say makes sense. It will be so helpful if he's willing to keep sleeping in his new bed and not fuss to be in bed with you. He still needs to keep taking care of himself. Maybe he is simply realizing this is working for him! :smart:
critters
Founding Member

Post by critters »

Hmm. I have a Chromebook and 3 Windows computers all running Chrome, and none have a problem with it. Maybe you need an update?
coxmaria3

Post by coxmaria3 »

critters wrote: Sat Dec 11, 2021 6:51 am Hmm. I have a Chromebook and 3 Windows computers all running Chrome, and none have a problem with it. Maybe you need an update?
I think it's because I'm on a mobile device. As long as I don't try to do anything fancy like use a different color it seems to be ok.
coxmaria3

Post by coxmaria3 »

And this is what happens when Tinker gets up to go potty. SMH

I can win for losing with this bed situation. Although Tinker sleeps in it every single night without whining at all.
Attachments
Snapchat-1242602711.jpg
CarolC

Post by CarolC »

Oh, no!!! :hysterical: Looks like Captain wants the new-bed-equals-special-attention, too. I've had the attention situation here when suddenly one dog gets all the attention (because they need it), and there simply isn't as much time or mindspace left over for the other dog. There is a book for humans by Jeanne Safer titled, "The Normal One: Life with a Difficult or Damaged Sibling", about the situation of being the normal kid growing up in a family where another child is physically disabled or otherwise in need of extra attention, and you are expected to not require attention, or even to help with the disabled one.

Not sure what you can do, you've probably spent so much already after the surgery and new crate and new bed, etc. If you buy Captain his own new bed-bed, who will immediately sleep in it? :roll: :lol: I had a special thing I used to do with my chow mix where I would put her in the back of the station wagon and we would go to McDonalds and I would order her pancakes and let her eat them in the car. I only did it with her, and it was her special thing. Don't know if Captain has his own special thing that would cheer him up. Maybe something simpe, like HE is the one who walks to the mailbox with you every day, or something like that, that's only him?
:thinking:
coxmaria3

Post by coxmaria3 »

CarolC wrote: Tue Dec 14, 2021 1:53 pm Oh, no!!! :hysterical: Looks like Captain wants the new-bed-equals-special-attention, too. I've had the attention situation here when suddenly one dog gets all the attention (because they need it), and there simply isn't as much time or mindspace left over for the other dog. There is a book for humans by Jeanne Safer titled, "The Normal One: Life with a Difficult or Damaged Sibling", about the situation of being the normal kid growing up in a family where another child is physically disabled or otherwise in need of extra attention, and you are expected to not require attention, or even to help with the disabled one.

Not sure what you can do, you've probably spent so much already after the surgery and new crate and new bed, etc. If you buy Captain his own new bed-bed, who will immediately sleep in it? :roll: :lol: I had a special thing I used to do with my chow mix where I would put her in the back of the station wagon and we would go to McDonalds and I would order her pancakes and let her eat them in the car. I only did it with her, and it was her special thing. Don't know if Captain has his own special thing that would cheer him up. Maybe something simpe, like HE is the one who walks to the mailbox with you every day, or something like that, that's only him?
:thinking:
I have really been thinking about this lately in the way you have suggested. In fact, we let Colonel sleep in our bed last night where he usually sleeps with our son. We've been trying to show him extra attention and I am going to buy him some special toys and treats. He really loves to do all the things with my DS who has been trying to take him more in the Ranger out on the farm. He gets sad because he watches from the door while I take Tink out to potty because they CANNOT be out there together. They want to play with one another SO bad. I think he understands, but I think it still makes him sad.
CarolC

Post by CarolC »

I feel bad. So he's missing his best friend and lying where he smells his scent, maybe, and is not simply wishing for attention. I'm sorry, I owe him an apology. Yes, I'd be keeping them apart, too, if they run around when playing. I don't see what choice you have right now. Poor Captain, if he feels like he lost his best buddy. I do remember a video of the other Tinker, once again playing with his housemate indoors, after he was healed. I don't think this link is going to take you straight to the post, I don't see a way to cite a certain post in the blog.

https://tinkerbeagle.blogspot.com/searc ... esults=100

This is the video

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q5sLVDEuEOw&t=4s

Tinker (beagle) was paralyzed Feb '05 and the video is Dec '05 where they are playing together indoors under the watchful eye of their mom. The two dogs are the same size, though, and I think Tinker (beagle) was younger than your Tinker.

I don't know how it's going to be with Tinker and Captain, but I had a situation here with my first dog, Old Dog. He was unsteady on his feet (and eventually went down) when my neighbor got a new dog and not long afterward offered her to me because she was getting rid of her(!) I declined, then a few days later I saw Animal Control loading the dog into the wagon. I went out to the curb and took the dog and put her in the yard because she had no chance with the city pound back in the 90's. She was bigger than Old Dog and would romp around and knock Old Dog off his feet. With effort I was able to get the dog into another shelter. Then some time later a chow mix showed up and began more or less living in our front yard and guarding the house, as if she adopted it. This was not long after we bought the house, and there was still a stump of a large old tree that had been cut down, three feet wide, and she would stand on it and guard the yard. After a few weeks of seeing her and then putting out water, I let her into the back yard to see how she did with Old Dog. She accidentally knocked him into a sit, immediately turned around with concern and nosed him in apology, and was careful with him after that, and she was welcome to stay.

It's a true story. The difference between Old Dog and Tinker might be that there was no chance Old Dog was going to participate in romping or start a romp, because by then he couldn't, so he was not going to get into an active play session where he might be hurt. I don't know if Tinker will want to do that eventually. It's all a judgment call but I know you'll figure out whether or how much to let them together when the time comes. Here is a link about back friendly activities after your dog has recovered from a disk injury.

https://dodgerslist.com/2020/06/15/back ... /%E2%80%8B
coxmaria3

Post by coxmaria3 »

I've been letting them play under strict supervision. Which means that I hold Colonel's paw to keep him from holding Tink down. He would do that when they played before. They nibble on and love on one another and play nicely. They do not go potty at the same time because they want try to run around and play with one another. Tink wants to romp around like he use to. SMH. He's stubborn and while he can definitely do all the things he did before surgery, I simply can't handle another injury.

Tink has started going up and down steps, very slowly and only the couple we have going out the front of the house. Usually I still carry up and down, but every now and then he wants to do it himself.

Pooping has become a surprise to him and I think he hasn't quite figured out when it's coming. He can't steady himself and wants to rise his hind end up on his front let's when he's going. I usually steady him and help him be still when he's going.

He's still improving. He's the best baby. He sleeps in his new bed every night and only gives a little whine every now and then to get in the bed, but it's short lived. We really miss him sleeping with us, but it's for the best. We get our snuggles under strict supervision on the couch.
The baby Tink
The baby Tink
We got ALL his hair cut off and he looks like he lost 5 pounds.
CarolC

Post by CarolC »

coxmaria3 wrote: Mon Dec 20, 2021 10:04 pm I've been letting them play under strict supervision. Which means that I hold Colonel's paw to keep him from holding Tink down. He would do that when they played before. They nibble on and love on one another and play nicely. They do not go potty at the same time because they want try to run around and play with one another. Tink wants to romp around like he use to. SMH. He's stubborn and while he can definitely do all the things he did before surgery, I simply can't handle another injury.

What a statement that is. He can do all the things he did before surgery. That's amazing! Yes, I would do anything to preserve that!

Tink has started going up and down steps, very slowly and only the couple we have going out the front of the house. Usually I still carry up and down, but every now and then he wants to do it himself.

They say no steps... :thinking: Again you are back to, "What are they trying to accomplish?" No new injuries. His injury was not in an area that seems like it would be affected by steps much...up in the thoracic area. It's not like a lumbar injury, where there is more movement in the lumbar area, but there is some. He's flexing his back when he goes up or down. It's just 2 steps, mmm. There is a condition I've forgotten the name of, but it refers to the fact that when they do surgery on one area and it heals, the disks/vertebrae immediately to either side of the affected disk become more susceptible to injury. I think you want gentle continued rehab to strengthen and stabilize the whole area, such as controlled walking.

Pooping has become a surprise to him and I think he hasn't quite figured out when it's coming. He can't steady himself and wants to rise his hind end up on his front let's when he's going. I usually steady him and help him be still when he's going.

Sounds like he's weight shifting. It's normal, and if they do it enough it can even result in an accidental full handstand. A dog would normally carry about 60% of weight on his front legs and 40% on his hind legs, but after paralysis they tend to put a lot more weight on the front legs. In addition, they may stretch their neck out to the front farther to move the center of gravity more forward over the front legs and take extra weight off the rear.

Because of this, I recommend cuing your dog when you pick him up, saying something like, "Up, up, up" before you pick him up. This will reduce strain on his neck, because if his neck is extended parallel with the ground instead of holding his head more upright, and you lift him unexpectedly, it puts added strain on his neck. If you give him a verbal cue that you are about to pick him up, he'll be ready for you.

You may want to consider how this weight shifting affects his safety and stability on stairs. Some people make a little ramp. I've had ramps here since about 2005 and once I got it for the dog, I discovered I liked it as well! :D

Here is a description I posted of my dog.

https://handicappedpet.net/helppets/viewtopic.php?p=18238#p18238 wrote:
My dog did and still does do a lot of walking as you describe. She stands in an all-four-feet position but her back feet are barely touching the ground. Actually, her toes are pointed as if trying to reach the ground. She keeps her back feet slightly elevated by kind of doing a partial handstand. It creates a slight arch in her back, and normally her nose will be near the ground. One problem my dog has is tipping. From that all-fours position she will accidentally put too much weight on the front feet and her back end will simply rise up in the air nearly vertical until she loses her balance. It had improved because the therapist was using makeshift ankle weights in the treadmill, then recently she started doing it a bit again, but not nearly like before.

He's still improving. He's the best baby. He sleeps in his new bed every night and only gives a little whine every now and then to get in the bed, but it's short lived. We really miss him sleeping with us, but it's for the best. We get our snuggles under strict supervision on the couch.
20211220_204803.jpg

We got ALL his hair cut off and he looks like he lost 5 pounds.

What a sweet picture. Now his coat will all grow back the same length. He's been through quite a lot, but he hasn't been alone, and he's not done improving yet. :)
critters
Founding Member

Post by critters »

:wub: the sleeping pic!!