IVDD-Pinched Nerve-Paralysis

Neurological Disorders Resources. Treatment and care for pets having pain or trouble walking or standing due to spinal injuries or neurological disorders like IVDD, FCE and DM.
CarmeloLabadie

IVDD-Pinched Nerve-Paralysis

Post by CarmeloLabadie »

Hey everyone,

I'm here for any kind of help or support I can get. In the span of 36 hours Abby went from perfectly normal to being without feeling in her lower body. I immediately took her to the vet after she showed signs of something wrong and the vet says she has a pinched nerve in her back from a bulging disc. The treatment began and includes strict crate rest and steroids administered to attempt to reduce swelling of the disc. I'm having trouble with potty time. Her paralysis has left her with no control of her bowels or bladder. I still can't get her to express her bowels and I wake up and am so heartbroken that she had to lay in urine in the night even after urinating before bedtime. Im looking for someone who's had IVDD paralysis in their basset that has recovered from this. I need hope. I have no idea how long this is supposed to last and no idea what's next. Any contribution will be appreciated.

Thanks
CarolC

Re: IVDD-Pinched Nerve-Paralysis

Post by CarolC »

:welcome:
CarmeloLabadie wrote: Tue Nov 16, 2021 4:46 am Hey everyone,

I'm here for any kind of help or support I can get. In the span of 36 hours Abby went from perfectly normal to being without feeling in her lower body. I immediately took her to the vet after she showed signs of something wrong and the vet says she has a pinched nerve in her back from a bulging disc. The treatment began and includes strict crate rest and steroids administered to attempt to reduce swelling of the disc.

Did the vet say whether she still had deep pain sensation in her feet? Did he pinch or squeeze her toes with an instrument to see if she reacted to it? Crate rest plus steriods can work in dogs that still have deep pain sensation. If she completely loses feeling in her feet, then surgery would be needed to clean out the bulging disk so it won't press on the spinal cord. It is important to do surgery as soon as possible after loss of deep pain sensation, because the longer you wait the less chance of success. They recommend surgery in the first 24 hours if possible, when deep pain is lost. If she still has deep pain sensation, then she'll probably be on crate rest for 8 weeks to allow healing.

I'm having trouble with potty time. Her paralysis has left her with no control of her bowels or bladder. I still can't get her to express her bowels

Did you try all of the techniques in this article? I would start with the q-tip or the ice cube. My favorite is the pinching method. You might have best luck doing it after she has just eaten.
:arrow: :arrow: viewtopic.php?f=5&t=18586

and I wake up and am so heartbroken that she had to lay in urine in the night even after urinating before bedtime.

Yes, this is a problem. If she lies in urine, it will soon cause a urine burn on her skin. I would recommend trying diapers with her. Diapers will absorb the urine. They have a gel or absorbent lining that will trap the urine, and a dry weave surface against her skin to keep her skin dry. Bassetts are pretty big, so she may need one of the large sizes of children's diaper, or a small adult diaper. Don't be surprised if you get the wrong size on the first try, it is hard to guess the size, but they work well when you get the right fit. Sometimes on dogs, a diaper fits better when put on backward with the tapes to the back. Cut a hole for the tail. With a female dog is it best to let any stools fall out of the diaper, to keep her girl parts clean (avoid causing a urinary infection), so you'd want the tail hole a little bigger. With diapers, she won't be lying in urine and you'll both rest better.

Also, when a dog is on steroids, it makes them thirsty so they drink more water. This can contribute to bedwetting even in a dog that hasn't lost bladder control, because the bladder is filling up faster with all the drinking. But if it was my dog, I would want her on steroids, they help the swelling go down and she needs that.
:diaper:

Im looking for someone who's had IVDD paralysis in their basset that has recovered from this. I need hope. I have no idea how long this is supposed to last and no idea what's next. Any contribution will be appreciated.

It takes a minimum of 6 weeks for a bulging disk to heal, with strict rest the whole time. In the crate 24/7, only out to potty or change the blankets, then right back in the crate. It is quite possible she will start to feel better sooner than that and want to be active, but it is important to *keep* her on the crate rest for a full 8 weeks. They recommend 8 weeks to avoid a relapse. You don't want to get it partly healed, then allow activity so she injures it again because it wasn't fully healed yet. The first week of crate rest is the hardest, while she is getting used to the crate and you are sorting out the nursing care, diapering, etc. The following weeks will feel like more of a routine, and hopefully any discomfort she may have will begin to subside. Right now she is probably a little confused and also may be feeling some pain from the pinched nerve, which will start to get better with the rest and medication.

I do not know how much your dog weighs, or how physically strong you are. If you are having trouble caring for her in the crate, you could also rest her in a small x-pen. It allows you to open one side and walk in. I found it difficult resting my golden retriever in a crate because you are kind of crawling in on your hands and knees to change blankets, etc., and if you are trying to move your dog, then you are in a position where you could strain your own back, and you don't want that. If you have no trouble lifting her, then the crate is fine. Here is a picture of Tinker doing crate rest in an x-pen.

22932261_b6991596f7_m.jpg
Having your dog go down suddenly is very stressful. If you have any other questions or issues, please don't hesitate to post. Chances are someone here has dealt with it.

How old is your dog?

Thanks
coxmaria3

Post by coxmaria3 »

Welcome! You will find the best information and support on this board. I second everything CarolC said. Much love and prayers.
critters
Founding Member

Post by critters »

:whale: For diapers, I suggest reaching out to people who have kids in diapers to give you 1 diaper. They can write on the diaper with marker the size and brand, and you can try them to see what size and brand fits (you can be VERY surprised!). This doesn't cost each donor much, and it saves you a ton of money and the problem of donating leftovers that don't work.