Beagle with rear paralysis

Neurological Disorders Resources. Treatment and care for pets having pain or trouble walking or standing due to spinal injuries or neurological disorders like IVDD, FCE and DM.
almabee

Beagle with rear paralysis

Post by almabee »

Hi, new member with a lot of questions for a tough situation. I will try and provide as much information as possible.

On June 30th our 3 year old Beagle was acting a little odd, tail between her legs and she didn't seem able to jump up on the couch in the evening. First thoughts, of course, she had eaten something she shouldn't have, hardly the first time. The next morning I went to let our 2 beagles out of the kennels and was met with the most heart wrenching thing I've seen, she drug her self out by her front legs, out the door and down the stairs of our deck, I just couldn't catch her fast enough. We, of course, contacted our vet and took her in. They found a compressed disk on the X-ray. Options were discussed, surgery vs. trying to medically treat her. Neither option seemed to have much better chances than the other, so she is currently on steroids(Prednisone). At this point, we don't know if we did or didn't make the right choice in treatment, but no matter what, we will not give up on her.

From my research so far, it seems physical therapy is important, we just need help with what we should or shouldn't be doing. Our vet has been helpful, just looking for any other possible methods. We have ordered her a dog cart, to get her somewhat mobile again. Her puppy spirit is alive and well, her eyes are as bright as the sun, we aim to keep it that way no matter what. Any thoughts or advice would be greatly appreciated. Thank you.
CarolC

Re: Beagle with rear paralysis

Post by CarolC »

Hi almabee! Replying in blue...

:group:
almabee wrote: Mon Jul 11, 2022 4:54 pm Hi, new member with a lot of questions for a tough situation. I will try and provide as much information as possible.

On June 30th our 3 year old Beagle was acting a little odd, tail between her legs and she didn't seem able to jump up on the couch in the evening. First thoughts, of course, she had eaten something she shouldn't have, hardly the first time. The next morning I went to let our 2 beagles out of the kennels and was met with the most heart wrenching thing I've seen, she drug her self out by her front legs, out the door and down the stairs of our deck, I just couldn't catch her fast enough. We, of course, contacted our vet and took her in. They found a compressed disk on the X-ray. Options were discussed, surgery vs. trying to medically treat her. Neither option seemed to have much better chances than the other, so she is currently on steroids(Prednisone). At this point, we don't know if we did or didn't make the right choice in treatment, but no matter what, we will not give up on her.

Do you know if she still has deep pain sensation in her toes?
Does she still have bladder control?
Have you noticed any change in the past 11/12 days?

If you are treating her medically with prednisone, did they explain the importance of crating her so she will rest? If the dog has not lost deep pain sensation, they can sometimes improve with 6-8 weeks of strict rest plus anti-inflammatory medication like prednisone. That is 24/7 in a crate, only out to potty or to change her blankets, then right back in. No dragging around (yes, they are fast aren't they!), no lying on the sofa, no sleeping in bed with the family, just strict rest. The idea is that the swelling in the disk will go down better and there is a better chance for feeling to return if the dog isn't constantly aggravating it further with activity. If she improves and begins trying to stand up in her crate, you can't help that, but she needs to stay in it for a minimum of 6 weeks. That would be sometime in August, counting from the first day she began the strict rest. It sounds boring and sad for the dog, but this is a time when you need tough love if she's going to have a chance to improve on medication. Also, the meds tend to make the dog start to feel better, so they try to do too much too soon, which is another reason for crating.

They say it is hard to see a compressed disk on an x-ray. Usually they can assume there's a disk problem if they notice a difference in the spacing between 2 vertebrae, but x-rays are best for showing hard matter like bone, and not so good for soft matter like a disk. To really visualize the disk, a CT or MRI would do a better job.

The ideal thing would be to ask for a referral to a neurologist to have her checked, but only if you have a lot of money and live someplace where it is available. This may mean a large regional specialty hospital or veterinary college. Hopefully they could give you a more accurate idea of whether surgery would help. If she still has deep pain, it may still be an option. If she lost deep pain when her injury occurred, then you are probably outside the window of time when surgery is likely to be successful.

From my research so far, it seems physical therapy is important, we just need help with what we should or shouldn't be doing. Our vet has been helpful, just looking for any other possible methods. We have ordered her a dog cart, to get her somewhat mobile again. Her puppy spirit is alive and well, her eyes are as bright as the sun, we aim to keep it that way no matter what. Any thoughts or advice would be greatly appreciated. Thank you.

I am a huge believer in physical therapy. But it needs to wait till the strict rest period is over. The only thing she would be allowed right now is passive range of motion. The wheelchair would also need to wait till she is off crate rest. If she is still not walking or improving after 6 weeks, then it will be great that you have the cart.

You can find good information about IVDD on Dodger's List. They were originally a site for dachshunds, but beagles and dachshunds are both breeds that get IVDD.
https://dodgerslist.com/

There is a lot more I could say about crating, toileting, and PT, but this is pretty long already, so will wait to hear what you say about the deep pain, bladder control, etc. :)
She's lucky to have a family that will not give up on her! :angel:
almabee

Post by almabee »

Hi CarolC, thank you for the reply. It's been forever since I have used a forum like this, I am very rusty:)

I will try and answer all your questions. She does not have deep pain sensation, though I have not recently tried to see if that has changed. She does not have bladder control, we are helping her pee to try and prevent a UTI. Unfortunately, no real improvements.

She is in a small baby playpen, it seems to be working ok so far. It is very hard to keep her down, she was a very active dog, so this part is tough. We do not allow her to just drag herself around, that has been a no from the beginning. Our vet did say we needed to keep her resting as much as possible at least until the prednisone is gone, which is roughly 4 weeks, we were then to discuss what to do going forward. Honestly, part of our thought with the wheel chair at this point was to maybe help us. She isn't a big dog, but she does weigh 37lbs, plus she doesn't sit still well:) We also have a rear harness ordered to help pick her up and keep her back straighter, that's also hard to do.

We've been debating an MRI, but at this point it's hard to judge if the cost is worth the return. We would know more, but I am not sure the treatment would change. It's just a tough situation, we only have one even remotely close facility with ability to do an MRI. In order to make an actual appointment, we are looking at August, otherwise it's go in to the emergency room.

Again, thank you, we are trying to do the best we can for her, there just isn't a ton of info. I did look through the info on Dodger's list, honestly that has been the best list of information I have found.
CarolC

Post by CarolC »

Blue again... :)
almabee wrote: Tue Jul 12, 2022 4:29 pm Hi CarolC, thank you for the reply. It's been forever since I have used a forum like this, I am very rusty:)

No one would ever know you are rusty! It certainly doesn't show.

I will try and answer all your questions. She does not have deep pain sensation, though I have not recently tried to see if that has changed. She does not have bladder control, we are helping her pee to try and prevent a UTI. Unfortunately, no real improvements.

For what it's worth, my dog had no deep pain sensation in her feet until nearly 5 months after her injury. They determined she had deep pain at 149 days. Deep pain can return days, weeks, or months later.

She is in a small baby playpen, it seems to be working ok so far. It is very hard to keep her down, she was a very active dog, so this part is tough. We do not allow her to just drag herself around, that has been a no from the beginning. Our vet did say we needed to keep her resting as much as possible at least until the prednisone is gone, which is roughly 4 weeks, we were then to discuss what to do going forward. Honestly, part of our thought with the wheel chair at this point was to maybe help us. She isn't a big dog, but she does weigh 37lbs, plus she doesn't sit still well:) We also have a rear harness ordered to help pick her up and keep her back straighter, that's also hard to do.

Oh! 37 lbs is precisely what my first dog, Old Dog, weighed when he went down from hip dysplasia. Boy, do I know how that is. He was a silver mixed breed with a long coat. I could lift him if I was careful, but I was still young, not even 40 yet. I didn't realize your dog weighed that much.

When you say she is in a playpen, do you mean the kind like a Pack-n-Play with net sides for babies, or something more like a playard fence or exercise pen? I love a playpen for a small dog, but I think bending into a playpen to lift a 37 lb dog could be hard on your back after a while. An exercise pen might be safer and easier for your back. Here are some pictures of Tinker. Tinker started out doing crate rest in a baby crib. That has advantages because it is up higher (saves your back) and the sides come down for easy access. However, he managed to get out of it! The last picture is Tinker doing crate rest in an ex-pen, which was safer for a dog determined to climb out of the crib.

22933655_d92368bcfa_m.jpg
22933651_642fdbe260_o.jpg
22932261_b6991596f7_o.jpg
I don't blame you for looking for a sling to make walking her easier. Here is a picture of Tinker using a sling or walking harness. I like it because you can see they are using both a leash and the sling. You may not need the leash, depending on the type of sling, but is an idea in case you do. The one pictured is probably more appropriate for a male dog.

22932731_91cb6685e3_o.jpg
22932732_c7b95609bd_o.jpg
I agree for a situation where you really can't lift the dog, or can't do so safely, a wheelchair is a good solution. You just want to be aware that there will be a certain amount of handling the dog while you get the wheelchair adjusted. You'll probably want 2 people. And once you get it adjusted, I would think you'd want to leash walk her for the first 6 weeks so she doesn't do anything to cause added strain. Dogs can take off and run. They can flip a cart or do all sorts of crazy things you might not expect, especially if it isn't made or adjusted just right to keep the weight balanced.

I am attaching a video link of a non-adjustable DIY wheelchair, and if you watch, it looks like the dog does a back flip at the end because the wheels are not far enough back for the dog. It may have been a recycled cart originally made for another dog, or maybe it was just the design.

This is a brand of cart I'm not sure they make anymore. It looks good to me, but he flips it sideways at the end of the video. I'm guessing the wheels are not wide enough apart, but I'm no wheelchair expert.

I think this is one of the reasons they recommend waiting till 6 weeks are up before putting the dog in a cart (to be sure the disk is healed), but I would do it for a heavy dog and just ensure she takes it easy and doesn't run around with the other dogs or drive off the curb or anything.

If you ordered a cart from the Handicapped Pets site, I think you can post here or email them photos of how you have it adjusted and they can tell you if it looks right.

We've been debating an MRI, but at this point it's hard to judge if the cost is worth the return. We would know more, but I am not sure the treatment would change. It's just a tough situation, we only have one even remotely close facility with ability to do an MRI. In order to make an actual appointment, we are looking at August, otherwise it's go in to the emergency room.

That makes sense. If you have a competent vet and he's sure there's no deep pain, I think I'd be doing rest plus medication like you are, and afterward begin to look at PT, especially swimming if you can.

There is something you may or may not have heard of. It's called spinal walking. Some dogs who do not have deep pain sensation can learn to walk using a reflex. In dogs, when the front feet move, it fires signals to the hind feet which continue to work even in paralysis. Some dogs figure out spinal walking by themselves, while others can learn with PT. If I remember correctly, Murphy was a spinal walker, and Joe took Murphy to swim in a horse rehab pool until he became able to walk. Murphy both walked and used a wheelchair. If they went for a long walk, it was helpful for him to use his wheelchair on the way back.
http://www.everythingdachshund.com/dachsyinfo/dachshundintervertebraldiskdisease.htm

Occasionally a dog that has transverse malacia of its thoracolumbar spinal cord (no deep pain sensation) can learn to "walk" again using the crossed extensor reflex that may still exist in the hindlimbs. Without motor connections to the brain, this reflex is "released" and causes the involuntary motor movements that are frequently observed in the limbs. Through extensive physiotherapy, many of these dogs learn to swing their bodies to get their hindlimbs under them and allow the reflex walking movements to be effectual. This form of walking is called spinal walking and looks a bit "motorized" but serves the function well. Unfortunately many of these dogs are also permanently incontinent. Many owners lifestyles do not allow the time necessary to properly care for incontinent dogs. As a result many of these dogs are euthanized rather than allowed the time to see if they can develop spinal walking abilities.

Again, thank you, we are trying to do the best we can for her, there just isn't a ton of info. I did look through the info on Dodger's list, honestly that has been the best list of information I have found.

I am giving you links to some websites about beagles with IVDD, that you may enjoy. One is Tinker (as shown above) and the other is Murphy. I think both dogs had surgery but they both came out of surgery not walking. Murphy learned to walk again months later with a lot of PT. Tinker also recovered walking, I don't remember the timeframe.

Murphy's website is archived. Here are two versions, since the Wayback machine missed archiving a page in one version. (Sorry it is confusing to have 2 links.)
https://web.archive.org/web/20020212101 ... hys_world/
https://web.archive.org/web/20090724232 ... jaisp.com/

Tinker's website is in blog form. From this link, scroll to the bottom where it says Older Posts so you can see the beginning of the story.
https://tinkerbeagle.blogspot.com/

Hope some of this helps. Is the expressing going OK? There are a number of ways to do it, and it can even be done with the dog lying down if that is easier for you. Let me know if you'd like any expressing videos or have any questions, chances are someone here has dealt with the same thing. :)
almabee

Post by almabee »

Posting replies in red, starting to remember how this all works ;)
CarolC wrote: Tue Jul 12, 2022 6:43 pm Blue again... :)
almabee wrote: Tue Jul 12, 2022 4:29 pm Hi CarolC, thank you for the reply. It's been forever since I have used a forum like this, I am very rusty:)

No one would ever know you are rusty! It certainly doesn't show.

For what it's worth, my dog had no deep pain sensation in her feet until nearly 5 months after her injury. They determined she had deep pain at 149 days. Deep pain can return days, weeks, or months later.

That is actually good to know, we have found info saying it could take months or years.

Oh! 37 lbs is precisely what my first dog, Old Dog, weighed when he went down from hip dysplasia. Boy, do I know how that is. He was a silver mixed breed with a long coat. I could lift him if I was careful, but I was still young, not even 40 yet. I didn't realize your dog weighed that much.

When you say she is in a playpen, do you mean the kind like a Pack-n-Play with net sides for babies, or something more like a playard fence or exercise pen? I love a playpen for a small dog, but I think bending into a playpen to lift a 37 lb dog could be hard on your back after a while. An exercise pen might be safer and easier for your back. Here are some pictures of Tinker. Tinker started out doing crate rest in a baby crib. That has advantages because it is up higher (saves your back) and the sides come down for easy access. However, he managed to get out of it! The last picture is Tinker doing crate rest in an ex-pen, which was safer for a dog determined to climb out of the crib.

It's sort of like a pack and play. We can lift her out ok weight wise, it's just hard sometimes to get a good hold on her, she can be a little brat sometimes, I could see her finding a way out also:)

I don't blame you for looking for a sling to make walking her easier. Here is a picture of Tinker using a sling or walking harness. I like it because you can see they are using both a leash and the sling. You may not need the leash, depending on the type of sling, but is an idea in case you do. The one pictured is probably more appropriate for a male dog.

We do have a sling the vet gave us, it was a sample they were given, so it was free, but it's not the best, she has crawled out of it!!

I agree for a situation where you really can't lift the dog, or can't do so safely, a wheelchair is a good solution. You just want to be aware that there will be a certain amount of handling the dog while you get the wheelchair adjusted. You'll probably want 2 people. And once you get it adjusted, I would think you'd want to leash walk her for the first 6 weeks so she doesn't do anything to cause added strain. Dogs can take off and run. They can flip a cart or do all sorts of crazy things you might not expect, especially if it isn't made or adjusted just right to keep the weight balanced.

I am attaching a video link of a non-adjustable DIY wheelchair, and if you watch, it looks like the dog does a back flip at the end because the wheels are not far enough back for the dog. It may have been a recycled cart originally made for another dog, or maybe it was just the design.

The cart we bought is from K9 Carts, it wasn't cheap, but it's well designed, they are working with us to get it properly adjusted. This is Shadow in her K9 cart, definitely needed two people. We did ask our vet about using this, she said it is ok but no running etc. We are hoping that taking her out for a little walk will get rid of some of her excess energy. It's really hard to keep her down, she is a go, go, go type. She will need to be on a leash, of course, to avoid any crazy stuff.
20220713_161929 (1).jpg
download/file.php?mode=view&id=8337

This is a brand of cart I'm not sure they make anymore. It looks good to me, but he flips it sideways at the end of the video. I'm guessing the wheels are not wide enough apart, but I'm no wheelchair expert.

I think this is one of the reasons they recommend waiting till 6 weeks are up before putting the dog in a cart (to be sure the disk is healed), but I would do it for a heavy dog and just ensure she takes it easy and doesn't run around with the other dogs or drive off the curb or anything.

If you ordered a cart from the Handicapped Pets site, I think you can post here or email them photos of how you have it adjusted and they can tell you if it looks right.

That makes sense. If you have a competent vet and he's sure there's no deep pain, I think I'd be doing rest plus medication like you are, and afterward begin to look at PT, especially swimming if you can.

There is something you may or may not have heard of. It's called spinal walking. Some dogs who do not have deep pain sensation can learn to walk using a reflex. In dogs, when the front feet move, it fires signals to the hind feet which continue to work even in paralysis. Some dogs figure out spinal walking by themselves, while others can learn with PT. If I remember correctly, Murphy was a spinal walker, and Joe took Murphy to swim in a horse rehab pool until he became able to walk. Murphy both walked and used a wheelchair. If they went for a long walk, it was helpful for him to use his wheelchair on the way back.
http://www.everythingdachshund.com/dachsyinfo/dachshundintervertebraldiskdisease.htm

Occasionally a dog that has transverse malacia of its thoracolumbar spinal cord (no deep pain sensation) can learn to "walk" again using the crossed extensor reflex that may still exist in the hindlimbs. Without motor connections to the brain, this reflex is "released" and causes the involuntary motor movements that are frequently observed in the limbs. Through extensive physiotherapy, many of these dogs learn to swing their bodies to get their hindlimbs under them and allow the reflex walking movements to be effectual. This form of walking is called spinal walking and looks a bit "motorized" but serves the function well. Unfortunately many of these dogs are also permanently incontinent. Many owners lifestyles do not allow the time necessary to properly care for incontinent dogs. As a result many of these dogs are euthanized rather than allowed the time to see if they can develop spinal walking abilities.

I am giving you links to some websites about beagles with IVDD, that you may enjoy. One is Tinker (as shown above) and the other is Murphy. I think both dogs had surgery but they both came out of surgery not walking. Murphy learned to walk again months later with a lot of PT. Tinker also recovered walking, I don't remember the timeframe.

Murphy's website is archived. Here are two versions, since the Wayback machine missed archiving a page in one version. (Sorry it is confusing to have 2 links.)
https://web.archive.org/web/20020212101 ... hys_world/
https://web.archive.org/web/20090724232 ... jaisp.com/

Tinker's website is in blog form. From this link, scroll to the bottom where it says Older Posts so you can see the beginning of the story.
https://tinkerbeagle.blogspot.com/

I will look all this over this weekend, when I have more time.

Hope some of this helps. Is the expressing going OK? There are a number of ways to do it, and it can even be done with the dog lying down if that is easier for you. Let me know if you'd like any expressing videos or have any questions, chances are someone here has dealt with the same thing. :)

We are doing ok with this, but any tips/tricks would be much appreciated. It helps that my wife is a nurse, but dogs and people aren't exactly the same:)
coxmaria3

Post by coxmaria3 »

:strobe: This is the best place for great advise! Hope your baby improves quickly.
CarolC

Post by CarolC »

almabee wrote: Wed Jul 13, 2022 7:45 pm That is actually good to know, we have found info saying it could take months or years.

Healing continues for years. Right now I'm having a brain fade and can't remember if there have been people here who reported DPS returning after years, but I know some have had their dog stand up for the first time after a couple of years. I can find links if needed. I think they are bookmarked.
almabee wrote: Wed Jul 13, 2022 7:45 pm It's sort of like a pack and play. We can lift her out ok weight wise, it's just hard sometimes to get a good hold on her, she can be a little brat sometimes, I could see her finding a way out also:)
Beagles! I hear some of them even climb trees. :D Here was the story of Tinker climbing out.
https://handicappedpet.net/helppets/viewtopic.php?p=20191#p20191 wrote: Tinker was in his crib whenever someone was home but crated when left alone. I learned a frightening and valuable lesson when one day about a month after his surgery I left him in the crib (pushed next to the sofa for stability) to walk my other dog. I came back in to an empty crib. He had somehow climbed over the crib rail, onto the sofa and down and I found him in the kitchen getting a drink of water. And, at that point, he could barely stand much less walk. I couldn't believe it.

By the way, 9 months later he stands, he walks, and he even runs- a little sideways, but he runs. Nerves can regenerate.

almabee wrote: Wed Jul 13, 2022 7:45 pm We do have a sling the vet gave us, it was a sample they were given, so it was free, but it's not the best, she has crawled out of it!!
I had that problem with my dog when I used a wide winter neck scarf tied around her waist for a sling.
https://handicappedpet.net/helppets/viewtopic.php?p=9619#p9619 wrote: But I know how my dog is. If she finds something she really wants to sniff in somebody's yard and she strains to get to it and I try to hold her back, there have been times when she has slipped her scarf.
Not sure what kind of sling it is, but I am picturing a basic sling where a wide piece of cloth goes under her belly, possibly fastenened with velcro, and it has strap handles for you to lift her. There are some tricks people use to keep diapers from slipping off, that would probably work for a sling, too. They usually involve clipping the diaper (or sling) to the chest harness with something like the following: ironing board elastic straps, bedsheet clips, mitten clips, tablecloth clips. Some of these things can be found at the dollar store.

ironing-board-fastenersSM.JPG
Liebchensgoingforawalk1.jpg
One brand of harness actually comes with a suspender option.
https://k9carts.com/walkabout-harnesses-suspenders/

Or do it the old fashioned way. Poke a tiny hole in the sling and use a shoestring to tie it to the chest harness.

There are a lot of brands that come with a front part that goes around the chest to prevent the slipping problem.
almabee wrote: Wed Jul 13, 2022 7:45 pm The cart we bought is from K9 Carts, it wasn't cheap, but it's well designed, they are working with us to get it properly adjusted. This is Shadow in her K9 cart, definitely needed two people. We did ask our vet about using this, she said it is ok but no running etc. We are hoping that taking her out for a little walk will get rid of some of her excess energy. It's really hard to keep her down, she is a go, go, go type. She will need to be on a leash, of course, to avoid any crazy stuff.
She looks really good. Again I'm no wheelchair expert, but it looks perfect for her. Her spine is nice and straight. Is the disk issue in her lower back?
almabee wrote: Wed Jul 13, 2022 7:45 pm We are doing ok with this, but any tips/tricks would be much appreciated. It helps that my wife is a nurse, but dogs and people aren't exactly the same:)
Yay for having a nurse in the family! :trophy: If you're basically doing OK, maybe the best tip I can think of is Express, Rest, Express. It's a way of hopefully getting the dog emptier. It sounds like you are successfully getting her to urinate. If you squeeze her and she pees, and then the stream stops, you can often get more out by waiting a minute. The length of time is something you find by experience. After that first express, wait and let the bladder reform itself back into a smaller, rounder, firmer shape. Then express again. Letting it regain shape and tone makes it easier to express. Repeat until you aren't getting any more out.

Another good tip is that you can empty the bladder better when the colon is empty. You can feel what you're doing better. So it is helpful to also "express" the bowel. Here is an article on stimulating the dog to defecate at a time and place of your choosing, aka "poop on demand".

viewtopic.php?f=5&t=18586

Here is a very long article on expressing the bladder. There may be additional tips in it. There are also some videos at the end.

viewtopic.php?f=5&t=16027
CarolC

Post by CarolC »

Excuse double post...
CarolC wrote: Thu Jul 14, 2022 10:23 pm Healing continues for years. Right now I'm having a brain fade and can't remember if there have been people here who reported DPS returning after years, but I know some have had their dog stand up for the first time after a couple of years. I can find links if needed. I think they are bookmarked.
Here are some examples of deep pain sensation returning months, or even years, later. There are probably more examples, these are just some I had bookmarked.

Deep pain returned 9 months after surgery
https://handicappedpet.net/helppets/viewtopic.php?p=31156#p31156 wrote: well i finally got cricket to the vet today to check and see if he really was getting it back. she pinched him on both back feet with her insturment and wheeeeeeeee, it is there!! she also pinched his tail and it worked there too. so low and behold, after 9 months (after surgery) my boy is recovering.
NOTE: Cricket became able to walk.

Deep pain returned after 9 months
https://handicappedpet.net/helppets/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=5673 wrote: My surgeon hadn't seen a dog recover deep pain 9 months after IVDD surgery, but my Oscar did.
NOTE: Oscar was spinal walking at 18 months.

Deep pain returned after 13 months
https://handicappedpet.net/helppets/viewtopic.php?p=9286#p9286 wrote: Pete had his accident 16 months ago and was told at that time what he had in 6 months would be it. He had no feeling after 6 months and no feeling after 13 months. No bowel or bladder control just a constant dribble. My daughter has 2 little boys and not enough time for Pete so had had enough and thought it was time to have Pete put down. His feet were all torn up from dragging them and he would not keep dressings or socks on them. Pete had so much love to give I could not let him be put down so took him home to try to clear up his feet. Feeling started to return just 9 weeks ago.
NOTE: Pete became able to walk.

Deep pain returned after 7 years
https://handicappedpet.net/helppets/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=15676&p=83372#p83372 wrote: My corgi Candy was injured in 2004 and is now 11 and seven years a cart veteran. He has some muscle tone due to involuntary kicking and now- after seven years- has recovered deep pain
There is also another subject that it doesn't hurt to mention, and it ties in with the subject of return of deep pain sensation. It's the subject of chewing. During the time when dogs are recovering from a nerve/spinal injury, some dogs go through a phase where they will lick or chew an area of the body. The feet are the most common place, but the penis is another common area. The theory is that it's like when we sleep on our arm wrong and it falls asleep, then it tingles like crazy when it starts to wake back up. We assume dogs are feeling some similar sort of tingling or burning sensation, and they will lick or nibble or chew on the area, trying to address it. Unfortunately, some dogs will do this to the point of drawing blood and even self-mutilation. For some reason they don't stop. I know of a few that were put down because they did so much damage. Others are saved but they lost a toe or one dog chewed his penis off.

Back when this board was started, there wasn't any good solution for this problem other than to try to physically prevent the dog from chewing. There is a list of things that people have tried, and almost none of them were effective. But now there are a couple of medications that can be given to a dog if you start to notice the licking/chewing. One is gabapentin and another is pregabalin. Just in case you notice your dog chewing, the best thing to do is put her *securely* in a cone collar and get her to the vet for medication ASAP.

The reason I thought of that now, when talking about return of DPS years after injury, is there have been some cases here where a paralyzed dog started chewing years after the injury. My best guess would be the nerve recovery had gotten to the point the dog was feeling a pins-and-needles sensation, even though the dog had been paralyzed for years. To me it's a little unnerving, because I never thought the window where that could occur was so long, and it would certainly be a shock to the unsuspecting owner.

Suddenly chewed hind legs after 1 year
https://handicappedpet.net/helppets/viewtopic.php?p=87139#p87139 wrote: My dog has intevertebral disc disease and has been "paralyzed" in his hind legs for over a year now. Yesterday, he started gnawing so much at his hind legs that he made himself bleed. I am curious as to why he was doing that and what he might have been feeling back there. He does not have feeling, so there was nothing on the surface. I thnk it was something internal because of his condition. Is anyone familiar with this?
Chewed foot 2 years after surgery
https://handicappedpet.net/helppets/viewtopic.php?p=96169#p96169 wrote: Our dog Benny is two years out from his surgery for IVDD/slipped disc. Although he had been doing fairly well, a few months ago he began chewing his left rear paw. He was not responding to gabapentin so we had been using a little booty and/or collar when needed. He had never gone after his right rear paw until yesterday. He chewed it up in the exact same place as he does to the left - the second digit paw pad. Since it was the exact same location as the other paw and he has never done it before, I am fairly certain this is a nerve issue and not allergies or some other irritation.
This one is upsetting, but it is useful to understand how quickly and unexpectedly this can happen. Nerves recover very slowly, and apparently if a dog is going from not having, to having, deep pain sensation, this can happen even if it is years post-injury. (Apparently it can also happen during the gradual loss of sensation, such as with degenerative myelopathy.)
Chewed her hind feet after 4 years and was euthanized
https://handicappedpet.net/helppets/viewtopic.php?p=64984#p64984 wrote: She was 6 years old and in a wheelchair. For the past week I've been doctoring her back feet which she had started chewing on. Her foot was almost healed and when I left her alone today for a few minutes to eat, and when I came back into the room, she had chewed off so much she just couldn't be saved. I feel sick and guilty that I left her to eat and not sat there to watch her like I always do. I've cared for her for 4 years now and she was my baby.
almabee

Post by almabee »

CarolC wrote: Thu Jul 14, 2022 10:23 pm
almabee wrote: Wed Jul 13, 2022 7:45 pm

Healing continues for years. Right now I'm having a brain fade and can't remember if there have been people here who reported DPS returning after years, but I know some have had their dog stand up for the first time after a couple of years. I can find links if needed. I think they are bookmarked.

Yes, that would be great, lots of info to absorb here

Beagles! I hear some of them even climb trees. :D Here was the story of Tinker climbing out.
https://handicappedpet.net/helppets/viewtopic.php?p=20191#p20191 wrote: Tinker was in his crib whenever someone was home but crated when left alone. I learned a frightening and valuable lesson when one day about a month after his surgery I left him in the crib (pushed next to the sofa for stability) to walk my other dog. I came back in to an empty crib. He had somehow climbed over the crib rail, onto the sofa and down and I found him in the kitchen getting a drink of water. And, at that point, he could barely stand much less walk. I couldn't believe it.

By the way, 9 months later he stands, he walks, and he even runs- a little sideways, but he runs. Nerves can regenerate.

Yes, Shadow was a serious tree climber, we actually think this may have been the cause. Their is no apparent trauma, but I have a feeling she pushed it to far and fell on her back.
On one hand, maybe we should have stopped that, on the other hand, it's who she is, I don't know, tough one there.

I had that problem with my dog when I used a wide winter neck scarf tied around her waist for a sling.
https://handicappedpet.net/helppets/viewtopic.php?p=9619#p9619 wrote: But I know how my dog is. If she finds something she really wants to sniff in somebody's yard and she strains to get to it and I try to hold her back, there have been times when she has slipped her scarf.
Not sure what kind of sling it is, but I am picturing a basic sling where a wide piece of cloth goes under her belly, possibly fastenened with velcro, and it has strap handles for you to lift her. There are some tricks people use to keep diapers from slipping off, that would probably work for a sling, too. They usually involve clipping the diaper (or sling) to the chest harness with something like the following: ironing board elastic straps, bedsheet clips, mitten clips, tablecloth clips. Some of these things can be found at the dollar store.

ironing-board-fastenersSM.JPG
Liebchensgoingforawalk1.jpg
One brand of harness actually comes with a suspender option.
https://k9carts.com/walkabout-harnesses-suspenders/

Or do it the old fashioned way. Poke a tiny hole in the sling and use a shoestring to tie it to the chest harness.

There are a lot of brands that come with a front part that goes around the chest to prevent the slipping problem.

Will definitely take note of those ideas. We bought a sling from the same company that made her cart, it has leg rings similar to the cart. We haven't tried using it yet though. It should be really easy to put on, hopefully she can't pull out of it as easy.

She looks really good. Again I'm no wheelchair expert, but it looks perfect for her. Her spine is nice and straight. Is the disk issue in her lower back?

I think we have it pretty well adjusted for her, by design, it should keep her spine straight to possibly help with healing. Yes, it is in her mid/lower back.

Yay for having a nurse in the family! :trophy: If you're basically doing OK, maybe the best tip I can think of is Express, Rest, Express. It's a way of hopefully getting the dog emptier. It sounds like you are successfully getting her to urinate. If you squeeze her and she pees, and then the stream stops, you can often get more out by waiting a minute. The length of time is something you find by experience. After that first express, wait and let the bladder reform itself back into a smaller, rounder, firmer shape. Then express again. Letting it regain shape and tone makes it easier to express. Repeat until you aren't getting any more out.

That makes sense, thank you. Sounds like we need to pause a little longer.

Another good tip is that you can empty the bladder better when the colon is empty. You can feel what you're doing better. So it is helpful to also "express" the bowel. Here is an article on stimulating the dog to defecate at a time and place of your choosing, aka "poop on demand".

viewtopic.php?f=5&t=18586

Here is a very long article on expressing the bladder. There may be additional tips in it. There are also some videos at the end.

viewtopic.php?f=5&t=16027
Wow, you have so much great info, we will look this over also.
almabee

Post by almabee »

Thank you for all this, even the not so good parts. We need to know the good and the not so good in order to deal with this.
CarolC wrote: Fri Jul 15, 2022 2:13 pm Excuse double post...
CarolC wrote: Thu Jul 14, 2022 10:23 pm Healing continues for years. Right now I'm having a brain fade and can't remember if there have been people here who reported DPS returning after years, but I know some have had their dog stand up for the first time after a couple of years. I can find links if needed. I think they are bookmarked.
Here are some examples of deep pain sensation returning months, or even years, later. There are probably more examples, these are just some I had bookmarked.

Deep pain returned 9 months after surgery
https://handicappedpet.net/helppets/viewtopic.php?p=31156#p31156 wrote: well i finally got cricket to the vet today to check and see if he really was getting it back. she pinched him on both back feet with her insturment and wheeeeeeeee, it is there!! she also pinched his tail and it worked there too. so low and behold, after 9 months (after surgery) my boy is recovering.
NOTE: Cricket became able to walk.

Deep pain returned after 9 months
https://handicappedpet.net/helppets/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=5673 wrote: My surgeon hadn't seen a dog recover deep pain 9 months after IVDD surgery, but my Oscar did.
NOTE: Oscar was spinal walking at 18 months.

Deep pain returned after 13 months
https://handicappedpet.net/helppets/viewtopic.php?p=9286#p9286 wrote: Pete had his accident 16 months ago and was told at that time what he had in 6 months would be it. He had no feeling after 6 months and no feeling after 13 months. No bowel or bladder control just a constant dribble. My daughter has 2 little boys and not enough time for Pete so had had enough and thought it was time to have Pete put down. His feet were all torn up from dragging them and he would not keep dressings or socks on them. Pete had so much love to give I could not let him be put down so took him home to try to clear up his feet. Feeling started to return just 9 weeks ago.
NOTE: Pete became able to walk.

Deep pain returned after 7 years
https://handicappedpet.net/helppets/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=15676&p=83372#p83372 wrote: My corgi Candy was injured in 2004 and is now 11 and seven years a cart veteran. He has some muscle tone due to involuntary kicking and now- after seven years- has recovered deep pain
There is also another subject that it doesn't hurt to mention, and it ties in with the subject of return of deep pain sensation. It's the subject of chewing. During the time when dogs are recovering from a nerve/spinal injury, some dogs go through a phase where they will lick or chew an area of the body. The feet are the most common place, but the penis is another common area. The theory is that it's like when we sleep on our arm wrong and it falls asleep, then it tingles like crazy when it starts to wake back up. We assume dogs are feeling some similar sort of tingling or burning sensation, and they will lick or nibble or chew on the area, trying to address it. Unfortunately, some dogs will do this to the point of drawing blood and even self-mutilation. For some reason they don't stop. I know of a few that were put down because they did so much damage. Others are saved but they lost a toe or one dog chewed his penis off.

Back when this board was started, there wasn't any good solution for this problem other than to try to physically prevent the dog from chewing. There is a list of things that people have tried, and almost none of them were effective. But now there are a couple of medications that can be given to a dog if you start to notice the licking/chewing. One is gabapentin and another is pregabalin. Just in case you notice your dog chewing, the best thing to do is put her *securely* in a cone collar and get her to the vet for medication ASAP.

The reason I thought of that now, when talking about return of DPS years after injury, is there have been some cases here where a paralyzed dog started chewing years after the injury. My best guess would be the nerve recovery had gotten to the point the dog was feeling a pins-and-needles sensation, even though the dog had been paralyzed for years. To me it's a little unnerving, because I never thought the window where that could occur was so long, and it would certainly be a shock to the unsuspecting owner.

Suddenly chewed hind legs after 1 year
https://handicappedpet.net/helppets/viewtopic.php?p=87139#p87139 wrote: My dog has intevertebral disc disease and has been "paralyzed" in his hind legs for over a year now. Yesterday, he started gnawing so much at his hind legs that he made himself bleed. I am curious as to why he was doing that and what he might have been feeling back there. He does not have feeling, so there was nothing on the surface. I thnk it was something internal because of his condition. Is anyone familiar with this?
Chewed foot 2 years after surgery
https://handicappedpet.net/helppets/viewtopic.php?p=96169#p96169 wrote: Our dog Benny is two years out from his surgery for IVDD/slipped disc. Although he had been doing fairly well, a few months ago he began chewing his left rear paw. He was not responding to gabapentin so we had been using a little booty and/or collar when needed. He had never gone after his right rear paw until yesterday. He chewed it up in the exact same place as he does to the left - the second digit paw pad. Since it was the exact same location as the other paw and he has never done it before, I am fairly certain this is a nerve issue and not allergies or some other irritation.
This one is upsetting, but it is useful to understand how quickly and unexpectedly this can happen. Nerves recover very slowly, and apparently if a dog is going from not having, to having, deep pain sensation, this can happen even if it is years post-injury. (Apparently it can also happen during the gradual loss of sensation, such as with degenerative myelopathy.)
Chewed her hind feet after 4 years and was euthanized
https://handicappedpet.net/helppets/viewtopic.php?p=64984#p64984 wrote: She was 6 years old and in a wheelchair. For the past week I've been doctoring her back feet which she had started chewing on. Her foot was almost healed and when I left her alone today for a few minutes to eat, and when I came back into the room, she had chewed off so much she just couldn't be saved. I feel sick and guilty that I left her to eat and not sat there to watch her like I always do. I've cared for her for 4 years now and she was my baby.
critters
Founding Member

Post by critters »

:whale:
CarolC

Post by CarolC »

almabee wrote: Fri Jul 15, 2022 3:00 pm
Yes, Shadow was a serious tree climber, we actually think this may have been the cause. Their is no apparent trauma, but I have a feeling she pushed it to far and fell on her back.
On one hand, maybe we should have stopped that, on the other hand, it's who she is, I don't know, tough one there.
True. You can't bubble wrap a dog and have them live a full life, it's a judgment call. They do recommend some limitations once there's been a disk episode, such as no jumping off of things. Interesting that this could be either IVDD or trauma-related.

Here are some examples of standing/walking after many months.

This was Murphy's Dad's beagle, Murphy, who swam in a horse rehab pool.
https://handicappedpet.net/helppets/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=10017&p=50429#p50429 wrote:Murphy went down 8 years ago (he is 12 now) with 2 herniated disks. After surgery, 8 weeks crate rest. 9 months swimming rehab. He learned how to stand on his own. Walking took a cart. Over time, he learned to walk, run, and climb stairs. He still has no DPS, so he is considered to be spinal walking. He has little bladder and bowel control. Since we got Summer, our 5 year old beagle, she has run him out of his cart. He only uses it for VERY long walks.
Marilyn's dachshund, Wally, who did not have surgery. Short post
https://handicappedpet.net/helppets/viewtopic.php?p=48548#p48548 wrote: My doxie Wally had no deep pain sensation, and no surgery and he didn't walk for over 18 months and now he walks on a leash. He had no blader or bowel control untill 2 days ago he started telling me when he wanted to go out and make poops. I am so thrilled, although he still doesn't have bladder control.
Hang in there each dog has his own time table,and it is worth the wait.
Longer post about Wally. The whole post is worth reading
https://handicappedpet.net/helppets/viewtopic.php?p=49952#p49952 wrote: Wally had no deep pain sensation and I was told by 2 vets to put him down [snip] I couldn't afford surgery and the vet wasn't sure if it would help. I gave him 8 weeks of crate rest and I had to express him [snip] I did get him some wheels and he used them when I was home. He would follow me all around the house. I even put him on the deck with his wheels. He couldn't walk or wag his tail for 18 months and then little by little he was able to push his legs against my hands,and he constantly slowlyimproved. Now he walks like a drunken sailer but he walks on his leash and wags his tail. He plays fetch and tug of war.
Paul Coover's dachshund, Porkchop, stood up after 4 years.
https://handicappedpet.net/helppets/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=10930 wrote: Pork Chop Stood Up!!!!!!!!

Ok, so I don't like to get to excited, but just a short while ago, I looked and saw Pork Chop STANDING UP! I can hardly believe what I saw! It was only for about 3 seconds, but it is a HUGE start!

WOO HOO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

OK, some history on our Choppy:

He has been down for over 4 years. He had surgery but never recovered. He has never had any real progress until now!
Just an editorial note. I don't know what it is about 4 years. I'd have to check but I think there have now been 3 dogs reported that started chewing their feet at 4 years, and here is Porkchop standing up after 4 years. I've just been noticing the '4 years' since the 2 recent chewing reports. We knew recovery continued at least that long. Here is a post about my dog doing something new after 4 years 10 months.

Cindi's dachshund, Oscar, taking his first steps after 18 months.
https://handicappedpet.net/helppets/viewtopic.php?p=42965#p42965 wrote: Yeppers...Oscar has had the ability to pull himself up on his "knees" since last June when I boarded him at A&M, and they got him walking in the water tread mill.
Since moving to my new house, I've been putting Oscar in his cart more. He is able to exercise in his cart by "walking".
Yesterday the little booger sneaked out of the house and was in the back yard. I looked out, and he actually took a few steps SANS the cart!
It was the drunken "spinal walking" type of steps, but he took a few!!!!!!!! I am quite sure it is some form of spinal walking...but exciting all the same.
Hard to believe that 1 1/2 years post surgery he is still doing new things, but that crazy ole boy of mine never stops amazing me.
Joanne's German Shepherd mix, Tiny, started standing and walking after a year and climbed stairs 2 years later
https://handicappedpet.net/helppets/viewtopic.php?p=96289#p96289 wrote: When it comes to neurology there is no black and white, just a lot of grey (as my dogs neurologist frequently reminds me). Some dogs get right up after surgery, some take weeks, months or even years, and unfortunately some never recover. One of my paraplegics (Patroclus aka Tiny) started standing and walking after a year, and just this past week is starting to climb stairs (2 years later). I never give up, there is always the chance that something might happen. Keep on going with the rehab and see where it takes you :)
Syd's Mom's 17 pound mix, Syd, stood to eat and took some steps after 2 years when they got a new rug that provided better footing, and is developing bladder control.
https://handicappedpet.net/helppets/viewtopic.php?p=100757#p100757 wrote: I wanted to give you an update since it has been over 2 years since Syd's injury. We spent thousands of dollars on the surgery and therapy. Even though he never regained his ability to walk I am glad we gave him the chance. [snip] Recently we purchased a large area rug that covers the majority of the room he spends the most time in, covering the hardwood floors. This new ability for traction has stimulated him to stand and eat all on his own, which we have assisted him prior to. He takes several steps now without assistance and we are getting encouraged there may be more progress after all this time. I only wish we had bought this rug sooner :) We still express his bladder but he is also starting to urinate on his own. Nerve pathways grow back slowly.
Sheri's Jack Russell, Pete, could stand for long periods to eat his food and walk 15 feet if Sheri pulled his food bowl with a string at about 2 years. He was injured May 20, 2003. This post was June 8, 2005.
https://handicappedpet.net/helppets/viewtopic.php?f=10&t=3156&p=14537#p14537 wrote: Pete had no deep pain for almost 15 months before it slowly started to return. It has been 2 years since his accident and he is just now learning to walk again. Pete can now walk about 15 feet if he is following his food bowl (have a string tied on it and slowly pull it along as he is eating)but has learned that he can go faster on 2 legs than 4.
These are just some examples I bookmarked. I'm sure there are more.

EDIT TO ADD:
Matthew's whippet X terrier, Tommy, was reported walking after 15 months. The exact date is unclear.

October 9, 2006 was surgery.

December 5, 2006 Tommy could stand for 3 minutes.
https://handicappedpet.net/helppets/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=7151&p=37941#p37941 wrote: Tommy can now stand for three minutes or so and can move standing from his food to his milk bowl.
Jan 31, 2007 Tommy could walk 3 steps but was not walking.
http://handicappedpet.net/helppets/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=7925 wrote: He still can not walk,but can now do three or four steps,and does this quite regulary.He is dragging his legs a lot less and seems determined to stand up for himself...which can do most of the time,he can now do this on command from his sitting position!
June 13, 2007 Tommy could walk 14 steps.
https://handicappedpet.net/helppets/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=8994&p=45821#p45821 wrote: It is now seven months on,and progress has been slow,but progress has been good.
Tommy is now able to walk around fourteen steps..trips and then gets up and does the same again
Jan 15, 2008 Tommy is walking.
http://handicappedpet.net/helppets/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=10567&p=53012&hilit=tommy#p53012 wrote: Some of you will remember me and Tommy,he had very bad spinal injurys after jumping down the stairs at home.

It has been a long time since I have posted,so I thought I would give you an update!

Tommy can walk :) :) :) :) :)

Not as well as he used to do I must admit but he can walk in his own fashion! No more leg dragging and no more scuffed knuckles. We go out for a walk around five nights a week and we do WALK...we do not drag around :)
Tommy can place one leg in front of another and can stand on comand and is a happy little dog with many good years infront of him :)
We still have to express urine but other than that he is more or less like any other little dog.
During the time after his injury I had many terrible moments where I thought he would never walk again...but I kept the faith,and with hydro and muscle stim,range of motion excercise and going out we got there! Maybe not 100% but at least 85%.
So never give up hope,fifteen months on he is happy and so am I.
July 17, 2008 Tommy is walking better
http://handicappedpet.net/helppets/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=7925#p60290 wrote:Just a quick update on Tommy...

He is not fully recovered :( but he has made big improvements to where he was and to where we thought he may get.
We can go out for walks at night on the street and can get about fine..
almabee

Post by almabee »

CarolC wrote: Sun Jul 17, 2022 8:50 am
almabee wrote: Fri Jul 15, 2022 3:00 pm
True. You can't bubble wrap a dog and have them live a full life, it's a judgment call. They do recommend some limitations once there's been a disk episode, such as no jumping off of things. Interesting that this could be either IVDD or trauma-related.

We are fairly certain that is what happened, but without extensive and very expensive testing, it's hard to say for sure. I did speak to one of our vets today, we are starting laser therapy this week, it may or may not help, but it's worth a try.

Our other issue, our other Beagle, Scout, is a little depressed, this is very hard for him also as he doesn't have his friend to play with. But, we will get there, everyone has to learn to do things just a little different. We are going to build a ramp off our deck, so Shadow can walk by herself into the yard. We've been out for little bits here and there, slowly she is getting used to her cart. The weird thing for both of them is Shadow being on a leash, that's just not normal for the back yard.

Here are some examples of standing/walking after many months.

Thank you for all this, I will read through it as time allows, you have been so very helpful:)

This was Murphy's Dad's beagle, Murphy, who swam in a horse rehab pool.
https://handicappedpet.net/helppets/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=10017&p=50429#p50429 wrote:Murphy went down 8 years ago (he is 12 now) with 2 herniated disks. After surgery, 8 weeks crate rest. 9 months swimming rehab. He learned how to stand on his own. Walking took a cart. Over time, he learned to walk, run, and climb stairs. He still has no DPS, so he is considered to be spinal walking. He has little bladder and bowel control. Since we got Summer, our 5 year old beagle, she has run him out of his cart. He only uses it for VERY long walks.
Marilyn's dachshund, Wally, who did not have surgery. Short post
https://handicappedpet.net/helppets/viewtopic.php?p=48548#p48548 wrote: My doxie Wally had no deep pain sensation, and no surgery and he didn't walk for over 18 months and now he walks on a leash. He had no blader or bowel control untill 2 days ago he started telling me when he wanted to go out and make poops. I am so thrilled, although he still doesn't have bladder control.
Hang in there each dog has his own time table,and it is worth the wait.
Longer post about Wally. The whole post is worth reading
https://handicappedpet.net/helppets/viewtopic.php?p=49952#p49952 wrote: Wally had no deep pain sensation and I was told by 2 vets to put him down [snip] I couldn't afford surgery and the vet wasn't sure if it would help. I gave him 8 weeks of crate rest and I had to express him [snip] I did get him some wheels and he used them when I was home. He would follow me all around the house. I even put him on the deck with his wheels. He couldn't walk or wag his tail for 18 months and then little by little he was able to push his legs against my hands,and he constantly slowlyimproved. Now he walks like a drunken sailer but he walks on his leash and wags his tail. He plays fetch and tug of war.
Paul Coover's dachshund, Porkchop, stood up after 4 years.
https://handicappedpet.net/helppets/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=10930 wrote: Pork Chop Stood Up!!!!!!!!

Ok, so I don't like to get to excited, but just a short while ago, I looked and saw Pork Chop STANDING UP! I can hardly believe what I saw! It was only for about 3 seconds, but it is a HUGE start!

WOO HOO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

OK, some history on our Choppy:

He has been down for over 4 years. He had surgery but never recovered. He has never had any real progress until now!
Just an editorial note. I don't know what it is about 4 years. I'd have to check but I think there have now been 3 dogs reported that started chewing their feet at 4 years, and here is Porkchop standing up after 4 years. I've just been noticing the '4 years' since the 2 recent chewing reports. We knew recovery continued at least that long. Here is a post about my dog doing something new after 4 years 10 months.

Cindi's dachshund, Oscar, taking his first steps after 18 months.
https://handicappedpet.net/helppets/viewtopic.php?p=42965#p42965 wrote: Yeppers...Oscar has had the ability to pull himself up on his "knees" since last June when I boarded him at A&M, and they got him walking in the water tread mill.
Since moving to my new house, I've been putting Oscar in his cart more. He is able to exercise in his cart by "walking".
Yesterday the little booger sneaked out of the house and was in the back yard. I looked out, and he actually took a few steps SANS the cart!
It was the drunken "spinal walking" type of steps, but he took a few!!!!!!!! I am quite sure it is some form of spinal walking...but exciting all the same.
Hard to believe that 1 1/2 years post surgery he is still doing new things, but that crazy ole boy of mine never stops amazing me.
Joanne's German Shepherd mix, Tiny, started standing and walking after a year and climbed stairs 2 years later
https://handicappedpet.net/helppets/viewtopic.php?p=96289#p96289 wrote: When it comes to neurology there is no black and white, just a lot of grey (as my dogs neurologist frequently reminds me). Some dogs get right up after surgery, some take weeks, months or even years, and unfortunately some never recover. One of my paraplegics (Patroclus aka Tiny) started standing and walking after a year, and just this past week is starting to climb stairs (2 years later). I never give up, there is always the chance that something might happen. Keep on going with the rehab and see where it takes you :)
Syd's Mom's 17 pound mix, Syd, stood to eat and took some steps after 2 years when they got a new rug that provided better footing, and is developing bladder control.
https://handicappedpet.net/helppets/viewtopic.php?p=100757#p100757 wrote: I wanted to give you an update since it has been over 2 years since Syd's injury. We spent thousands of dollars on the surgery and therapy. Even though he never regained his ability to walk I am glad we gave him the chance. [snip] Recently we purchased a large area rug that covers the majority of the room he spends the most time in, covering the hardwood floors. This new ability for traction has stimulated him to stand and eat all on his own, which we have assisted him prior to. He takes several steps now without assistance and we are getting encouraged there may be more progress after all this time. I only wish we had bought this rug sooner :) We still express his bladder but he is also starting to urinate on his own. Nerve pathways grow back slowly.
Sheri's Jack Russell, Pete, could stand for long periods to eat his food and walk 15 feet if Sheri pulled his food bowl with a string at about 2 years. He was injured May 20, 2003. This post was June 8, 2005.
https://handicappedpet.net/helppets/viewtopic.php?f=10&t=3156&p=14537#p14537 wrote: Pete had no deep pain for almost 15 months before it slowly started to return. It has been 2 years since his accident and he is just now learning to walk again. Pete can now walk about 15 feet if he is following his food bowl (have a string tied on it and slowly pull it along as he is eating)but has learned that he can go faster on 2 legs than 4.
These are just some examples I bookmarked. I'm sure there are more.

EDIT TO ADD:
Matthew's whippet X terrier, Tommy, was reported walking after 15 months. The exact date is unclear.

October 9, 2006 was surgery.

December 5, 2006 Tommy could stand for 3 minutes.
https://handicappedpet.net/helppets/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=7151&p=37941#p37941 wrote: Tommy can now stand for three minutes or so and can move standing from his food to his milk bowl.
Jan 31, 2007 Tommy could walk 3 steps but was not walking.
http://handicappedpet.net/helppets/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=7925 wrote: He still can not walk,but can now do three or four steps,and does this quite regulary.He is dragging his legs a lot less and seems determined to stand up for himself...which can do most of the time,he can now do this on command from his sitting position!
June 13, 2007 Tommy could walk 14 steps.
https://handicappedpet.net/helppets/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=8994&p=45821#p45821 wrote: It is now seven months on,and progress has been slow,but progress has been good.
Tommy is now able to walk around fourteen steps..trips and then gets up and does the same again
Jan 15, 2008 Tommy is walking.
http://handicappedpet.net/helppets/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=10567&p=53012&hilit=tommy#p53012 wrote: Some of you will remember me and Tommy,he had very bad spinal injurys after jumping down the stairs at home.

It has been a long time since I have posted,so I thought I would give you an update!

Tommy can walk :) :) :) :) :)

Not as well as he used to do I must admit but he can walk in his own fashion! No more leg dragging and no more scuffed knuckles. We go out for a walk around five nights a week and we do WALK...we do not drag around :)
Tommy can place one leg in front of another and can stand on comand and is a happy little dog with many good years infront of him :)
We still have to express urine but other than that he is more or less like any other little dog.
During the time after his injury I had many terrible moments where I thought he would never walk again...but I kept the faith,and with hydro and muscle stim,range of motion excercise and going out we got there! Maybe not 100% but at least 85%.
So never give up hope,fifteen months on he is happy and so am I.
July 17, 2008 Tommy is walking better
http://handicappedpet.net/helppets/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=7925#p60290 wrote:Just a quick update on Tommy...

He is not fully recovered :( but he has made big improvements to where he was and to where we thought he may get.
We can go out for walks at night on the street and can get about fine..