Handicapped dog

Neurological Disorders Resources. Treatment and care for pets having pain or trouble walking or standing due to spinal injuries or neurological disorders like IVDD, FCE and DM.
Pixigirl123

Handicapped dog

Post by Pixigirl123 »

Been caring for my handicapped dog for three years now , have got to the point I can’t cope anymore, he’s not truly happy , what should I do ?
CarolC

Re: Handicapped dog

Post by CarolC »

It's been a hard 3 years and I think somehow this past year has been the hardest. I'm not sure exactly where you are located but if you really, really can't do it any more, there is a group in Europe run by an English ex-pat located in Spain. Her name is Debbie and she was a moderator here for a long time and she's the salt of the earth. It's called the Club de Kat. They have a Facebook page. They are active with disabled animals and can sometimes rehome handicapped dogs. Maybe they will know if there are any options in your area. You could try contacting her through the Facebook page. If you don't speak Spanish then you may want to put her name in the message so they know to give it to her, because I imagine some of the people who check the messages on the facebook page may not speak English, I'm not sure.

https://www.facebook.com/elclubdekat/

Did you ever try a wheelchair for him? Or have you tried a baby stroller? If a dog knows he's going to be able to go out for a stroll or a walk around the garden, that really cheers them up. They have something to look forward to every day. Seeing them happy makes it easier for you to keep going. It also lets you get out and go for a walk around the park or the outside of the shopping center or wherever you like. A baby stroller is very lightweight and easy to put in the car so you can go wherever you like.

Here are some pictures of using a stroller for dogs of various sizes.
viewtopic.php?f=22&t=22844
viewtopic.php?f=4&t=17581&p=91249#p91249
viewtopic.php?f=3&t=17212
viewtopic.php?f=2&t=18181&p=94387#p94387
Pixigirl123

Post by Pixigirl123 »

He has a wheelchair and a stroller, just doesn’t enjoy going out any more , seems very depressed, some days he just won’t eat, I have to use a catheter on him and empty his bowls twice a day . He’s been attacked by other dogs three times now , this has made either aggressive to other dogs or really afraid . Nightmare taking him out
CarolC

Post by CarolC »

Yeah, other dogs can be a problem. I haven't felt safe walking in a residential neighborhood since 2008 when I gave that up after being charged one too many times. After that I started to drive out to the mall and walk around the outside of the mall. We didn't have any incidents there. The mall was on the edge of town across a 6-lane highway from any houses and I think I saw maybe one stray dog at that mall in 5 years. It was about a 10-min drive but it was worth it for the safety. It was also good that it was lighted because it gets dark in winter. It's going to start getting dark soon.