Paralyzed dog and my worries

Neurological Disorders Resources. Treatment and care for pets having pain or trouble walking or standing due to spinal injuries or neurological disorders like IVDD, FCE and DM.
Donybelle

Paralyzed dog and my worries

Post by Donybelle »

Hey guys!
I wrote a post in this forum a few months ago, when everything was still kinda fresh.
To give a brief summary: my dog, Fox, had several prolapsed discs and got paralyzed in his hind legs. In the beginnig he couldn't pee, wag his tail or walk. Now (9 months later) he can pee, he can somewhat control his poo and he can somewhat control his tail. He can't walk but he has feeling in both legs. We still go to physical theraphy once a week and do some exercise at home. I still have some hope that he might walk again. This whole thing is and was emotionally and financially draining.

I am now at an point where I would like to buy a wheelchair for Fox. My physiotherapist recommended someone to me who does this professionally and is highly praised for it. Some people in my family said that I should wait, because the wheelchair is very expensive. But I can't walk around with this carrying aid anymore (my back really hurts!). And I also want a little bit of normalcy again. But of course I still worry. What if I only need it for a year? Or less? What if something else happens?

And then there is this thing where some days are better and some are worse. Since his surgery Fox had days where he felt bad, which is normal I guess (the doctors said so). But since monday he isn't lifting his tail anymore. It didn't worry me so much on the first days, but now a few days have passed and he still doesn't move his tail. He couldn't really control it all the time since the surgery, but if I had food in my hand he would wag his tail. Or when we went for a walk he would always lift the tail up high while walking - but not this week. He also seems kinda tired and sometimes a bit grumpy. I gave him a massage and checked if he was hurting anywhere, but he seemed fine. When we went to therapy he was also fine and the therapist even said that the cramp in his leg was almost gone! He eats, pees, poops and plays. I wondered if it may be related to the weather, because it became very hot this week (25-30 C / 77-86 F) and he always gets somewhat tired when its hot. But this wouldn't explain why he isn't using his tail anymore. :( Maybe some of you experienced something similar? I mean, healing isn't always a straight path and maybe it's a small setback. I'm just so, so worried something horrible will happen again. :(

Thanks for reading!
CarolC

Re: Paralyzed dog and my worries

Post by CarolC »

Hey there!
:welcomeback:
I did not realize you have a heavy dog. Yikes! You've been caring for a heavy dog without a wheelchair for months. A wheelchair sounds like a good idea. I wrecked my back with my golden retriever because I used the sling so much.

Some people will resell a wheelchair after their dog is done with it. If you buy an adjustable wheelchair that can be adjusted to fit different dogs, it will be easier to resell. You can probably resell a custom wheelchair, too. You just may need to wait for someone with a dog the right size. I don't think there is really any way to know how long he will use it, or whether something else will happen. But I think you need to take care of your own back so that is enough reason to make it a good investment. I know your family means well, but YOU are the one doing the lifting. :lift: Let them try it for a week and they will understand. If your back gets bad enough, you may have to spend money for personal physical therapy. I had to go to physical therapy for my back after my golden retriever passed. It wasn't cheap. I had been helping him for about 3 years total, especially the last 8 months. I had been lifting him for over 2 years before he got a wheelchair, because for a long time he just needed help getting up, then he could walk, so I didn't buy one till later. Anyway, all the lifting adds up. And I should have started taking an anti-inflammatory for my back much sooner than I did. :medicine: If you are not taking any over the counter meds for your back, you might want to consider it. Naproxen helped me, but you might have something different that you prefer. The problem is, you are so focussed on your dog that you forget about yourself. Until you can't ignore your back any longer. Perhaps all of your family will contribute a small amount to help you get the wheelchair, and call it a birthday present or Christmas present. Because what you really want is for your back to feel better and your dog to be happy.
:present:
One thing to consider is, a wheelchair will be good for him to walk around the back yard or around the block. If he is a large dog, he may not be able to use it in the house, as a large wheelchair can get caught on furniture and doorways. It depends on how roomy your house is. So you may still be using the sling with him indoors if you need to move him from Point A to Point B in the house. But when he is outdoors you will not have to carry him anymore. And he may enjoy the freedom.
:angel:
I am not sure how large your dog is or what breed, but you will want to consider the process of getting your dog into the wheechair and getting your dog out to the grass. I went through this with my dog. I asked the wheelchair company how wide the wheelchair would be (for my 30 kg golden retriever) because I wanted to know if it would fit through the back door when he went outside. If not, I would have to put the wheelchair in the grass and walk him out to it using the sling, and then put him into it. Fortunately, his wheelchair fit through the door. We already had a small ramp out the back door, so that was no problem.

I recommend you ask the wheelchair company to show you how their cart works before you order one. What I mean is, you do not put a dog in a cart the same way with all models of carts. Some carts, you bring the cart up behind your dog and lift his hindquarters and drop his legs through holes in the saddle. This may be easier to do if he has a rear harness (like the one you use to walk him). Some carts, you put a special cart harness on your dog, then clip the cart harness to the cart. I am not sure how your custom cart will be designed.

Because of the size of my dog (and I am not strong) I used a hoist to hold him in a standing position when putting him in the 2-wheel cart. He was elderly, so he soon needed a 4-wheel cart because of his age, and I used the hoist to get him into the 4-wheel cart.

http://www.handicappedpets.com/mediawiki/index.php?title=Engine_hoist_for_a_heavy_dog

If you are planning to use a harness to lift him into the wheelchair, be sure the measurements for the cart are taken with him IN his harness so you will get the right fit. (This would also be true if he ever wears a diaper.)

There are quite a few brands of adjustable carts. I am not familiar with everything available in Germany, but I would look at those, too. Some of the big cart companies offer international shipping or have vendors located in different countries. It does not hurt to "shop around" before you decide what to buy, even though your physiotherapist may be making a good recommendation. Several of the adjustable carts also fold flat, which makes them easier to put in the car if you want to take him someplace, or easier to store in the closet if he does not need it, but you don't want to get rid of it.

I am not sure why he is not lifting his tail. You said you massaged him all over and didn't find any soreness. So strange. :thinking: Is it possible he needs his anal glands expressed? Could they be bothering him? The only other thing I can think is perhaps he has some pain that is not showing up when you palpate him. My dog had neck pain that was missed by several doctors (and me) but it was definitely there. It seems like your physiotherapist would locate pain if he had it, but I don't know. I had 2 vets and a board certified neurologist miss it in my dog. Seriously.

I wonder if you should take him for a vet appointment. Perhaps they will give him some medication and tell you to rest him, and see if it improves. If he keeps not lifting his tail, I think I would call for an appointment. They will also know if his anal glands look OK. I think you said he originally had surgery on several disks. Dogs don't usually have a recurrence in other disks, but it can happen sometimes. The vet can hopefully rule that out. Wish I could give you a better answer. :) I hope you will post when you find out what was causing it.
Donybelle

Post by Donybelle »

Oh, no! My dog isn't that big. He weighs around 12-13kg / 26-28 lbs. It's more because he is so small (he is a dachshund/aussie mix). I always have to bend over, carry him around and the carrying aid is a bit too long, so I always have to tense up my arm a bit.
I just got the diagnosis that I have multiple slightly prolapsed discs and one already ruptured a little bit, so I would like to be more careful.

That's very informative, thank you! I thought about reselling the wheel chair as well if we don't need it anymore.
The problem is that there aren't many paralyzed dogs in Germany, or atleast it feels this way. It's really hard to get any information in german or to find someone who can build a wheelchair. That's why I'm happy I found this forum! In my state there is only this one guy who has a workshop and the knowledge. Everything else would be online and most of it isn't in Germany either. I just want to buy something that can last years and that he is comfortable wearing. :/ But I will think about it. We will drive there tomorrow to weigh Fox and take his measurements. :)

I'm sorry to hear that! I hope you're feeling somewhat better and painless these days. :(
And you're absolutely right. I realized this a few weeks ago too. I'm always so anxious and I can't really relax, because I always worry. It's all about Fox and it's draining. But that's also why I'm excited for the wheelchair, so I can enjoy longer walks again! I need to take better care of myself.

As for all the things related to the wheelchair: I will write down any questions I have and ask the guy tomorrow. :)

I think that's it! He always had a problem with his anal glands and it got worse after the surgery, as he couldn't poop that much anymore. I had them expressed a few times but the last 2 months I completely forgot about it, because he wasn't licking his behind as much. I checked them this morning and they felt pretty full. I expressed some of the fluid and he whined while doing so. After a few minutes he also found it painful when I lifted his tail all the way up, so I think I found the problem! I will call my vet tomorrow so she can express them properly and check if they are inflamed. Thank you so much! That didn't come to my mind and I feared the worst.

Here is a picture of Fox when he could walk :)
CarolC

Post by CarolC »

Replies in blue...
Donybelle wrote: Sun Jun 18, 2023 2:14 am Oh, no! My dog isn't that big. He weighs around 12-13kg / 26-28 lbs. It's more because he is so small (he is a dachshund/aussie mix). I always have to bend over, carry him around and the carrying aid is a bit too long, so I always have to tense up my arm a bit.

You explained the exact problem! That size/weight is a problem because he seems like he's not too big, so you keep picking him up! It's deceptive, isn't it?! My first down dog was about that size, and also had short legs and a long body, and he had silver fur like a Schnauzer but was not shaped like one. I did the same thing! I could pick him up, so I did! For months and months. Surprise! Lifting that weight for months and months is more than it looks like! It is one thing to lift it once a week, but everyday (several times a day) is a different matter! It is wear and tear on your back. It accumulates, doesn't it?

Can you tie a knot in the straps of the carrying aid? Maybe you can think of a way to shorten it a little. Don't worry how it looks, your back is more important. This picture isn't very good but maybe something simple like this?

knot.PNG

I just got the diagnosis that I have multiple slightly prolapsed discs and one already ruptured a little bit, so I would like to be more careful.

:shock: Ohhhhhh. That can become serious. It sounds like it already is serious. I don't know why your family is suggesting you wait. It could become worse and require surgery. This is really not funny. Reality check. Don't let anyone underestimate the seriousness of a ruptured disk and prolapsed disks. If my back was like that, I would be very, very concerned. You don't want it to get worse. I am worried about you, and I am also worried about your dog if (Heaven forbid) you can't care for him. :|

That's very informative, thank you! I thought about reselling the wheel chair as well if we don't need it anymore.
The problem is that there aren't many paralyzed dogs in Germany, or atleast it feels this way. It's really hard to get any information in german or to find someone who can build a wheelchair. That's why I'm happy I found this forum! In my state there is only this one guy who has a workshop and the knowledge. Everything else would be online and most of it isn't in Germany either. I just want to buy something that can last years and that he is comfortable wearing. :/ But I will think about it. We will drive there tomorrow to weigh Fox and take his measurements. :)
I totally agree you want a good quality wheelchair. If you think he makes a good wheelchair, then that will be wonderful. It is nice when you can custom fit your dog in person at the wheelchair shop.

I kind of said it before, but I'm repeating this because of how serious your back problem is. You will have to do a certain amount of lifting to get your dog into the chair. Any chair. So you need to carefully look at how the chair is configured, to determine what exact movements you will have to do to get your dog in. Some chairs, you can get the dog in with a single motion. Some, you will have to hold the dog in place while you attach it. Look and see, what movements will be easiest for you with your back. If you find it difficult getting the dog in and out, then you will not want to use it after you spend the money. If possible, find a video showing how to put the dog in each model of wheelchair.

Below I found some brands that are sold in Germany. There are several different stores that sell Walkin' Wheels (compare prices). It should arrive pretty quickly. A US company called Eddie's Wheels makes fine chairs that are easy to get a dog into, but not cheap or collapsible. Eddie's might(?) be easiest on your back, but it takes time for them to make it and ship it, and only you can decide what is easiest. There are probably more German websites that I did not find.

https://hunderollwagen.de/ (big wheels are good for outdoors)
https://rollihund.de/ (the bar extending out behind the hind legs helps prevent flipping backward)
http://www.eddieswheels.de/
https://www.rehatechnik-tiere.de/hunder ... wagen.html (the bar extending above the cart gives you something to grab when going up or down stairs)

Walkin' Wheels
https://www.tierliebe-handicap.de/colle ... -rollwagen
https://www.dilectus.de/hunde-rollwagen/
https://www.ortocanis.com/de/hunderolls ... NS4wLjAuMA..
https://rollindogs.de/rollwagen/?p=1

I'm sorry to hear that! I hope you're feeling somewhat better and painless these days. :(
And you're absolutely right. I realized this a few weeks ago too. I'm always so anxious and I can't really relax, because I always worry. It's all about Fox and it's draining. But that's also why I'm excited for the wheelchair, so I can enjoy longer walks again! I need to take better care of myself.
:thankyou:
Oh, thank you. Walking might be good for both of you. My back is not perfect, but it's better than it was.

As for all the things related to the wheelchair: I will write down any questions I have and ask the guy tomorrow. :)

I think that's it! He always had a problem with his anal glands and it got worse after the surgery, as he couldn't poop that much anymore. I had them expressed a few times but the last 2 months I completely forgot about it, because he wasn't licking his behind as much. I checked them this morning and they felt pretty full. I expressed some of the fluid and he whined while doing so. After a few minutes he also found it painful when I lifted his tail all the way up, so I think I found the problem! I will call my vet tomorrow so she can express them properly and check if they are inflamed. Thank you so much! That didn't come to my mind and I feared the worst.
Fantastic! I'm glad it wasn't something with his back again. Woohoo! :hurray:
Here is a picture of Fox when he could walk :)

He's gorgeous, and so shiny! :wub: Since he has feeling in both of his hind feet, maybe he will walk again someday. Perhaps he can practice in the wheelchair. There are 2 ways to use the wheelchair. You can put the feet up in stirrups so he only uses his front legs. Or you can leave all 4 feet on the ground so he can feel the grass and maybe use his hind legs a little.

You may find this post interesting. The lady found a way to exercise her dogs in the wheelchair.
viewtopic.php?p=77091#p77091

Donybelle

Post by Donybelle »

Yeah, you're absolutely right! At first I thought "oh well, at least I can carry him". But I knew after a few weeks that I can't do that forever. It's so exhausting!

I can and will try this! :)

I was also very shocked. My doctor said it's fine for now. Not good, but also not too drastic. They aren't pressuring anything and my back pain isn't there every day. :) He said I should do some training, because I am very tense and that can cause more issues for the discs. I'm thinking about going swimming again, atleast once in a week. :)

Yesterday was the appointment. He was very nice and showed me their wheelchairs. They are really sturdy and he said he can do anything he wants with it. :D The wheelchair has a harness in front that has to be connected to the back part where his legs go in. I can also adjust the height of his legs, so he can be stimulated a bit or if he can walk again I can let his legs go down completely. :)

And thank you for the research! I will take a look at them. :)

That's good to hear! It never gets easy with this kind of stuff. But if it's better that's amazing. :)

I took him to the vet today, as he still wasn't moving his tail. He was in extreme pain when she lifted it. She checked his anal glands but they were fine. So it seems he might have limb tail syndrome. :( I don't know how he got that, but she said he should be fine in a few days if he takes some anti-inflammatory pain meds.

Oh yes, and he is a charmer too! He always flirts with anyone looking at him. :D
Well, I still hold out hope. The pet orthopedist I went to said that he is the ideal patient to walk again, as he regained everything. But it could also remain this way. We will see!
CarolC

Post by CarolC »

Replies in blue...
Donybelle wrote: Tue Jun 20, 2023 10:39 am Yeah, you're absolutely right! At first I thought "oh well, at least I can carry him". But I knew after a few weeks that I can't do that forever. It's so exhausting!
They say a dog carries 60% of his weight on his front legs and 40% on his hind legs. If your dog is 13kg, then he is carrying about 8kg on his front legs and 5kg on his hind legs. If you help him with a carrying device (sling or harness) on his hindquarters, your are lifting about 5 kg. So when you get the wheelchair, you will be lifting about 5kg to put him in. It will be a lot less than 13kg, and it will only be for a few seconds.

I can and will try this! :)
One person here made a dog sling that went over her shoulder. I do not know if that would be any easier. viewtopic.php?f=66&t=21691

I was also very shocked. My doctor said it's fine for now. Not good, but also not too drastic. They aren't pressuring anything and my back pain isn't there every day. :) He said I should do some training, because I am very tense and that can cause more issues for the discs. I'm thinking about going swimming again, atleast once in a week. :)
Swimming sounds like a great idea. I'm glad it is not too bad for now.

Yesterday was the appointment. He was very nice and showed me their wheelchairs. They are really sturdy and he said he can do anything he wants with it. :D The wheelchair has a harness in front that has to be connected to the back part where his legs go in. I can also adjust the height of his legs, so he can be stimulated a bit or if he can walk again I can let his legs go down completely. :)
Doing anything he wants sounds good. :D

And thank you for the research! I will take a look at them. :)

That's good to hear! It never gets easy with this kind of stuff. But if it's better that's amazing. :)

I took him to the vet today, as he still wasn't moving his tail. He was in extreme pain when she lifted it. She checked his anal glands but they were fine. So it seems he might have limb tail syndrome. :( I don't know how he got that, but she said he should be fine in a few days if he takes some anti-inflammatory pain meds.
I've never even heard of that. I looked it up and they say it is usually goes away in a week. A disk problem can cause similar symptoms. I hope he gets over it soon.

Oh yes, and he is a charmer too! He always flirts with anyone looking at him. :D
Well, I still hold out hope. The pet orthopedist I went to said that he is the ideal patient to walk again, as he regained everything. But it could also remain this way. We will see!

When you take your dog for physical therapy, does it include hydrotherapy such as swimming or the underwater treadmill? :swim: