Medications: Robby

Neurological Disorders Resources. Treatment and care for pets having pain or trouble walking or standing due to spinal injuries or neurological disorders like IVDD, FCE and DM.
Deepika

Medications: Robby

Post by Deepika »

Hi Everyone

I showed Rob to two vets and the first one prescribed Rimadyl 1/2 tb for 7 days. Then a friend recommended that she knows a good vet and I showed Rob to him too. The second vet said that Rimadyl is a pain killer. He said that it's no use giving him anything and to continue with physiotherapy and massage. He also said that if there is no improvement, to wait till Rob is fully grown and do a surgery to insert steel pins so that his hind legs have some support. Sometimes I feel that I'm going from pillar to post as everyone tells different things. But the main thing is that there is an improvement. Rob has reflexes on both legs now and the joints which were very stiff can be bent a little. I'm continuing with the massage and I'm also applying herbal oil to make his legs stronger. Does anyone have any experience with Rimadyl and has anyone done a surgery to insert steel pins? Please give me some feedback if you can. Thank you. I'm just glad that Rob is alive and I would do anything to make him happy.
Cindidoxiemom

Re: Medications: Robby

Post by Cindidoxiemom »

Rimadyl is an NSAID a non steroidal anti inflamitory. It relieves pain by bringing down infamation. Like most drugs, it has drawbacks and side effects.
Please read : http://www.rimadyl.com/display.asp?coun ... CN&sec=000
Cindi
Carol T.

Post by Carol T. »

Hi Deepika!
I'm so thrilled to hear that Robby is making progress!! As Cindi said, Rimadyl is a pain killer. I didn't look at the link she gave you, and I would assume the link would mention this, but just in case....prolonged use of Rimadyl can cause liver problems. A good vet will do a blood work-up before prescribing it and periodically while the dog is taking it.
Bogie, Sunny, and Teddy send him big, wet kisses on his little dog nose!
connie

Post by connie »

hi, cricket was on rimadyl also for pain after surgery. he had half a pill for 7 days also.
keep up the great work, praying hard for robbie.

cricket sends him a slurp! and i send you both hugssssssss.

connie
Deepika

Post by Deepika »

Thanks Cindi, Carol and Connie. I looked at the site and as you said Rimadyl is a pain killer and it has side effects. So I think its better to show him to the vet before giving it as Rob is not in any pain. Hugs from Robby to Bogie, Sunny, Teddy and Cricket.
Dee

Post by Dee »

I would not recommend Rimadyl as I've read many con articles. You may want to do a search on its side effects. Rimadyl made my dog's liver get really sick. She got better after I took her off. If there is so much pain, you may try something else vet recommends first. There is Dermaxx which is not supposed to be as bad, but it also made my dog get some internal bleeding after a long time on it and yet only half the dose. Be careful with any painrelievers. I also think if my dog wasn't on rimadyl, she would have slowed down more naturally instead of finish wearing off her legs. Now she can't walk. It is just a matter of time now as our beloved dog is very old.
Christine

Re: Medications: Robby *LINK*

Post by Christine »

I have also read and heard negative things about Rimadyl. Check this site and see if you think it might help Robby. A good friend of mine is using it with great success and it is all natural. Just check the other medications he is as there is a precaution about giving with NSAIDS. Sending you prayers for continued healing for Robby.

Love,
Christine and Bailey

natural arthitis supplement
Rita

Post by Rita »

I'm trying that Dog Gone Pain product. I'm weaning my 2 older dogs off Rimadyl and using the Dog Gone Pain instead. So far I've cut their Rimadyl dose in half and am hoping to reduce it to nothing unless they appear to be uncomfortable. The Dog Gone Pain is expensive (about the same as Rimadyl) but it doesn't have the potential side effects of Rimadyl. I've given Rimadyl to several of my dogs for years without any problem, but I know other owners have had difficulties with it so I'd rather use something else if it works. I'd be interested to know if others have tried it.
Deepika

Post by Deepika »

Thanks, Dee, Christine & Rita. Thanks for the info. I contacted the second vet again and he told me not to give it as Rob is not in pain. He prescribed a vitamin D supplement to give with the vetzyme stress powder and told that it will increase the calcium absorption. And please keep on praying for Rob.