Return of Reflexes...mean anything?

Neurological Disorders Resources. Treatment and care for pets having pain or trouble walking or standing due to spinal injuries or neurological disorders like IVDD, FCE and DM.
Shani

Return of Reflexes...mean anything?

Post by Shani »

Hello everyone,

It's been 3 weeks since Hershey had his surgery for IVDD. Today, we took him to the vet to have his staples removed and for a follow-up.

The vet stated that he still had no signs of deep pain, but demonstrated withdrawal reflexes in one of his hind legs.

Is this good news or not really news at all? Does this mean he's improving? Of course time will still tell if he will walk again, and it's still very early, but any sign of improvement would make me happy.
connie

Re: Return of Reflexes...mean anything? maybe, i feel hopefu

Post by connie »

hi ,
i think i told you, if so sorry. but cricket had his surgery for disk in nov. 2005. he had refexes like that, still does. but , he is showing signs of getting deep pain again after all these months. the vets are hopeful. i had to crate cricket for 6 weeks after surgery, don't let your baby run around, drag or anything. it needs time to heal first. keep up on the P.T. and try hyrotherapy. i never gave up because cricket didn't.
there are lots of dogs out there who has gotten deep pain back again. i never thought cricket would, but in the last week or so he is growling and jerking his back feet back when i pinch them hard. so vet is very very hopeful.
keep me posted , i'd like to know how your baby does.
and please crate rest till healed. i only let cricket out to potty and R.O.M. exercised.
praying for you.
hugs,
connie and cricket
Cindidoxiemom

Re: Return of Reflexes...mean anything? maybe, i feel hopefu

Post by Cindidoxiemom »

Shani~
The truth is, it it probably much too early to know for sure. There are "mule" reflexes, the leg kicks briskly when pinched etc, that are not indicative of improved function. What you want to look for is is you pinch Hershey's toe, he turns, barks or snaps at you. A slow and steady movement is usually more indicative of returning function. Now, with all that said, Oscar regained feeling after 9 months. He still isnt' walking or standing, but he can move his legs. Will he ever walk? It is anyones' guess.
As connie said. STRICT crate rest for Hershey for at least 5 weeks. Don't let him try to walk or drag. Carry him outside to potty. Resarch water therapy and physical therapy.
Take care, give Hershey a nose kiss and keep us updated.
Cindi
I am not a vet; please consult your vet before making any treatment decisions.

Hunter IVDD Surgery x 2~Walking
Oscar IVDD Surgery x 1~ Paralyzed
Sage and Misty
Dianne

Re: Return of Reflexes...mean anything?

Post by Dianne »

Flexor Withdrawal Reflex: "Simplistically, a flexor withdrawal reflex begins as sensory input such as a toe pinch applied, with the stimulus ascending in the sensory nerve (afferent pathway) to the dorsal horn of the spinal cord where it synapses with the descending motor neuron (efferent pathway) which runs the impulse back to the muscles of flexion in the leg and the leg is withdrawn. *The flexor withdrawal is as involuntary as the knee-jerk*. In order for an animal to be conscious of or feel the sensory stimulus (ie., the toe pinch), there must be intact pain fibers ascending the cord which carry the impulses from the original afferent neuron to the brain (sensory cortex). Thus an animal with a totally transected spinal cord can still withdraw the limb without awareness of pain. *Pain sensation is differentiated by physical reaction such as turning of the head toward the site of stimulation or crying out*."

Source:http://www.southpaws.com/news/97-2-pain.html

Translation: The reflex can still be present during paralysis, as with my dog. The last sentence tells the difference. Does your dog look toward the toe pinch?

Cindi and Connie are right that it is too early. Keep crate resting. We're all hoping for a good outcome in the coming weeks.
Dianne
Shani

Post by Shani »

Thanks for the replies.

He's been on strict bedrest. He's too heavy to carry outside, so we were told to sling walk him outside, which is part of his physical therapy. We were also just given the green light for water therapy. The problem is, the downstairs bathroom doesnt have a tub, just a stand in shower. So, I don't really know how I can do the water therapy. I thought about buying one of those storage tubs and filling that with water, but I don't know how to get Hershey inside.

He doesn't have deep pain when his paws are pinched, but whenever I touch his bottom or legs to help him get back in the crate, he darn near takes my head off. His next follow up is in 3 weeks.
Cindidoxiemom

Post by Cindidoxiemom »

Try a kiddie pool... You can get them at Walmart, they are pretty cheap, and fairly shallow so you shouln't have to really lift Hershey in. The movement you describe does sound like reflex, and if there is no deep pain, it is definately reflex. That does not mean that Hershey will not regain deep pain. Remember Cricket got hers back after 7 months and Oscar got his back after 8.
Be very careful right now with sling walking, remember Hershey just had MAJOR back surgery.
Cindi

Sage and Misty
Cindidoxiemom

Post by Cindidoxiemom »

Try a kiddie pool... You can get them at Walmart, they are pretty cheap, and fairly shallow so you shouln't have to really lift Hershey in. The movement you describe does sound like reflex, and if there is no deep pain, it is definately reflex. That does not mean that Hershey will not regain deep pain. Remember Cricket got hers back after 7 months and Oscar got his back after 8.
Be very careful right now with sling walking, remember Hershey just had MAJOR back surgery.
Cindi

Sage and Misty
Paul Coover

Post by Paul Coover »

The simple fact is that it may or may not mean something. There is no real way to tell. Our Pork Chop has retraction reflexes, but he has been down since December 2003. He may walk again someday, or he may not. In your case, right after surgery, chances are pretty good that walking again may happen. Pork Chop was never operated on, so his case is different. Good luck!

Picture of Pork Chop
Weinerdogs Rule!
-Paul Coover
http://www.myspace.com/paulcoover

Hello from Kebo, Riley, Willy, Johanna, Pork Chop, Auggie, Buddy, Sadie & Spartacus.

We miss you Pedro...
Murphy's Dad

Post by Murphy's Dad »

Deep Pain Sensation is not a sign of recovery, nor is simple reflexes, I am sorry to say. If DPS returnes, it is a good sign, but not a precursor to better things. Truthfully it is too soon to tell anthing.

Our Murphy was injured 6 years ago and too date, has no DPS. But he learned to stand,walk, run, climb stairs, stand against the bed to ask for help on the bed. It took him a year to learn to stand after 9 months of swimming therapy. Walking and the rest followed shortly there after. He has not been in his cart for 2 years.

Find a pool to swim him in, any pool will do. Even if he shows no sign of rear leg movement, he will need the strength and endurance training.

Good things can happen, but it takes hard work, care, and persistance.

Good luck.