NEED HELP

Neurological Disorders Resources. Treatment and care for pets having pain or trouble walking or standing due to spinal injuries or neurological disorders like IVDD, FCE and DM.
Ms Charlie

NEED HELP

Post by Ms Charlie »

Just got A 8 YEAR OLD DOXIE. 17 POUNDS AND HAS LOST THE USE OF HER BACK LEGS. SHE IS HAVING A MRI DONE TOMORROW AMONG OTHER THINGS. THEY SAID SHE HAD A BAD SPINE, MASS ON HER COLON, BUT DO NOT KNOW MUCH MORE THEN THAT AS I RESCUED HER FROM BEING PUT DOWN. DO I GET ONE OF THESE WHEELCHAIRS ON HERE AND IF SO WHAT ONE...???
ANY HELP WOULD BE GREATELY APPRECIATED. SHE'S ON METACAN AND BAYTRIL 50 MG. SHE SEEMS HAPPY, BARKS, EATS BUT NOT DRINKING AS SHE SHOULD. AND WANTS TO WALK AS LONG AS I PUT A TOWEL UNDER HER TUMMY LIKE A SLING.
Paul Coover

Re: NEED HELP

Post by Paul Coover »

Well, the first thing you need to do is put your doxie on crate rest IMMEDIATELY! This is very important! The wheelchair cart can come later. As for now, there may still be a chance of a quick recovery after crate rest or possibly surgery.
We can help you with which wheelchair to get later on if necessary.

The not drinking could be a problem. I would mention that to the vet tomorrow. Good luck and keep us posted!
Weinerdogs Rule!
-Paul Coover
http://www.myspace.com/paulcoover

Hello from Kebo, Riley, Willy, Johanna, Pork Chop, Auggie, Buddy, Sadie & Spartacus.

We miss you Pedro...
Dianne

Post by Dianne »

Paul has given you good advice. He has 5 doxies; two of which are in wheelchairs. He's got a lot of doxie experience.

Drinking: Poach a chicken breast or cutlet (NO skin or fat) in about 3 or 4 cups of water. Cool the broth. Serve concentrated or dilute in some water to dog's taste. *DO NOT add any salt!* Usually dogs will start drinking with this method.
Last edited by Dianne on Mon Aug 07, 2006 7:15 am, edited 1 time in total.
GabrielDeafBlindPupFamily

Re: NEED HELP & Drinking

Post by GabrielDeafBlindPupFamily »

I soak my pups' kibble in water and broth or gravy as in the summer, they go off feed a bit. Also they get a LOT of water in their kibble. You can water down canned food as well. Check urine output and color and ask doc what 'normal' would be.
I 'cook' pups' dinner every day. With water and whatever will give the kibble flavor.
They also sell a dog gravy, but it's like 3 times the cost of human food products (I don't mean human products, products FOR humans :) ), altho it doesn't have the additives that human product.
Karen, Andy's ^i^ mom
Lethal White Aussies Rule!
INTERACTIVE RESCUE SITE!
http://www.s8.createphpbb.com/lethalwhiteauss/
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/LethalWhiteAussieRescue/
connie

Post by connie »

like paul said, crate rest is a must! the vet who did my cricket's surgery told me that we had known it was a disk and i had created him, it might've not ruptured and he could have gotten well. even after surgery i had ot crate him for 6 weeks, only out to do P.T. and potty. so i am a firm believer of crate rest.
and does your dog empty bladder? if not make sure vets show you how. please keep us informed! the best of luck to you, praying for your babe.
connie and cricket[/b]
FYI

Post by FYI »