PROMISE

Neurological Disorders Resources. Treatment and care for pets having pain or trouble walking or standing due to spinal injuries or neurological disorders like IVDD, FCE and DM.
Ms Charlie

PROMISE

Post by Ms Charlie »

I promise to do EVERY thing the VET says....and you guys....every thing.
Can any one tell me who started this forum..?
Thank You
Ms Charlie AND COCO
GabrielDeafBlindPupFamily

Re: PROMISE & The Story of H-Cap

Post by GabrielDeafBlindPupFamily »

There are others here who have been here a lot longer than I have, but the little bit I do know is this:

MARK C ROBINSON who is out of town this weekend. He designed this site in honor of his own precious girl who was put down because the doctor did not understand how to treat her, nor even realize she could be treated.

Mark was devastated to find her condition did not have to be 'terminal' and he resolved that no other lives would be lost due to our not knowing where to turn and who to ask.

The lives Mark Robinson has saved, not only our critters (sorry critters) but our very own ... What a wonderful gift he has given all of us.

Mark, I will ask you to tell the rest of the story, which is truly a miraculous journey of healing and helping and life.

I know I had read the story on the www.handicappedpets.com home site, but I searched and could not find it. If someone else can, perhaps you could post the link?

We all have a purpose in our lives. Oftentimes we will go to our graves, never realizing what that purpose is.
Not you, Mark. You grabbed your purpose and now it has taken on a very life of its own, with you hanging on and watching it grow... Just add water & love.
Karen, Andy's ^i^ mom
Lethal White Aussies Rule!
INTERACTIVE RESCUE SITE!
http://www.s8.createphpbb.com/lethalwhiteauss/
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/LethalWhiteAussieRescue/
markcrobinson
Site Admin

Post by markcrobinson »

The kids in the neighborhood were all abuzz with the news. Timmy, my 8 year old son ran into the kitchen, slamming the screen door. His face was glowing with excitement and delight.

“Mommy! Daddy! Joey’s dog is having PUPPIES! And… and… and…” He stopped to take a breath. He ended up taking several. He had obviously run all the way home.

“… and he says we can HAVE one! For Free!”

Timmy was obviously amazed that anyone would give him such a treasure. He wasn’t asking if he could have a pet, he was announcing our incredible stroke of good fortune.

My wife had just discovered she was about to have a baby and we had worried about Timmy feeling less important. The puppy would be a perfect solution. It would be something for Timmy to love and care for. Perhaps Timmy would understand about the ‘special attention’ a young life needs. We agreed.

Before we went to pick out the puppy, we began the time-honored tradition of explaining to the child about his new responsibilities. We elicited all the required promises around feeding, walking, and cleaning up after the pet. Timmy solemnly agreed, as children always do. Perhaps he truly intended to, but, as always, the jobs eventually became ours.

At Joey’s house, the ritual of ‘selecting the puppy’ followed the expected course. In the back of the closet, snuggled in soiled towels that Joey’s mom undoubtedly mourned the loss of, were nine of the cutest, mutt-Keeshonds imaginable. Timmy selected the one with the soulmate eyes and later named her “Mercedes”.

There are lovely, funny, and sad stories to tell about Timmy and Mercedes. There were warm snuggles in bed, tricks that went awry, lessons that were sometimes learned, and our midnight treks through the neighborhood seemingly calling for our car. The final story, though, is one of sadness, grief and loss.

At two years old, Mercedes started snapping at us, with violent, often frightening growls. The episodes would come without warning and became more frequent. With the baby just beginning to venture out of his playpen, we had to act decisively. The vet said it was a genetic form of canine epilepsy and that, although it might be treatable, was incurable.

With a depth of grief and remorse that can only be understood by those who have shared it, we sent Mercedes to the Rainbow Bridge.

Our choice wasn’t uncommon and we didn’t feel that it was cruel. We were protecting our family and following the advice of a professional. It was best for everyone and it was the ‘right’ thing to do. We weathered the grief and, although we never forgot, we moved on.

My awakening came several years later. My mother, still young and lovely in her early 60’s, called with some chilling news. The doctor had just informed her that what we had thought were just ‘severe mood swings’ were actually mild epileptic seizures. The doctor had said that the genetic form of epilepsy was easily treatable, but incurable. A cold knot formed in my stomach as I remembered when I had heard those words before.

HandicappedPets.com is dedicated to Mercedes, and to all of the animals who have been ‘put to sleep’ before their time. And to my mother who is still completely healthy, happy, young, and vibrant. She takes a pill every now and then for her condition.

Our message is simple: Pets that are elderly, injured, or handicapped can live healthy, happy, quality lives.
Mark C Robinson
HandicappedPets.com
For Elderly, Disabled, and Injured Pets; products, services, and support.
Paul Coover

Post by Paul Coover »

Thank you for telling your story, Mark. It was beautiful.
Weinerdogs Rule!
-Paul Coover
http://www.myspace.com/paulcoover

Hello from Kebo, Riley, Willy, Johanna, Pork Chop, Auggie, Buddy, Sadie & Spartacus.

We miss you Pedro...