Good news for Emmy!

Neurological Disorders Resources. Treatment and care for pets having pain or trouble walking or standing due to spinal injuries or neurological disorders like IVDD, FCE and DM.
doxiemom

Good news for Emmy!

Post by doxiemom »

Our dachshund Emmy, who had surgery on L1-L2 one week ago today, is able to push back when we exersize her back legs! First it was her right yesterday, and today is it both. Not only that, but she is also able to wiggle the tip end of her tail. We are so pleasantly surprised at these improvements. We have talked to the surgeon, who said these are all excellent signs that the nerve roots are healing. As I said before, I was not having any luck expressing her. So we decided to take her outside on a piddle pad. We said "pee" just as we would if she was walking about the yard, and she peed immediately when we sit her down on the pad! I am also putting a pad in the crate (instead of trying to use diapers), and this is working out much better. I know that she doesn't have much control, but the fact that she can go when we take her out is a good sign I think. This website has been so wonderful and really helped me through our first day home. Thank you all!!
GabrielDeafBlindPupFamily

Re: Good news for Emmy!

Post by GabrielDeafBlindPupFamily »

Well, that IS wonderful! Emmy wants to please you, that is her purpose in life. She will make tiny improvements, which only you will be able to see and feel....
And that is good news about the pee pads!
GOODNEWS! Makes it all worthwhile, doesn't it? This moment of pure joy?
Karen, Andy's ^i^ mom
Lethal White Aussies Rule!
INTERACTIVE RESCUE SITE!
http://www.s8.createphpbb.com/lethalwhiteauss/
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/LethalWhiteAussieRescue/
Cindidoxiemom

Post by Cindidoxiemom »

It sounds like Emmy is well on her way to healing. That is wonderful news.

Now...it sounds like Emmy is regaining bladder control...that is wonderful, BUT and this is a big BUT, she still may not have the ability to empty her bladder fully. If she isn't, she will end up with a bladder infection, and that can be a real tough thing to deal with while she is trying to heal.
Either go back to the vet and have them teach you to express again, or ...take Emmy to the vet, take her out to pee, and then bring her in so that the vet can check and see if she is emptying her bladder fully!

Because puppers who have had IVDD surgery are still healing, and don't have full feeling, they can't signal that they are hurting with an infection. If they get one and it moves to the kidneys, it can be fatal. Better safe than sorry.

A quick trip to the vet will tell you if Emmy is emptying fully.
Sincerely,
Cindi
I am not a vet; please consult your vet before making any treatment decisions.

Hunter IVDD Surgery x 2~Walking
Oscar IVDD Surgery x 1~ Paralyzed
Sage and Misty
connie

Post by connie »

that is so wonderful, i am so happy for emmy. that kind of progress so quick is a great sign. but like cindi says, make sure bladder is COMPETELY empty. infections can be bad when they are recovering. when i came up with the touch method to empty cricket, i took him to vet and did it in front of her, then she checked to make sure it was all coming out. it never hurts to be on the safe side. if she is going all on her own that is the best news ever. i still have to help cricket even tho he is getting deep pain back. one day we was outside and he peed some on his own but wasn't empty. but i have high hopes for the future. give emmy a hug from me and cricket sends her a wet lick on face. lol. so happy for you both.
keep us updated.
hugs, connie and cricket