Bully is paralyzed from FCE

Neurological Disorders Resources. Treatment and care for pets having pain or trouble walking or standing due to spinal injuries or neurological disorders like IVDD, FCE and DM.
karkorny

Re: My dog has FCE too

Post by karkorny »

Sorry, my dog's name is Bully. He's a 100-pound bullmastiff mix, strong as an ox! He's going to be a handful for me when he gets home, but that's okay, I'll find a way to deal with it. Hope you find a really good place to take yours. The place I have Bully in is running about $200 a day!!!! Killing me, but what can I do. It will just have to be another debt to pay.
GabrielDeafBlindPupFamily

Post by GabrielDeafBlindPupFamily »

I am so sorry for what you are going through. St.Jude was shot in front leg, both bones shattered, and hips crushed by car, starvation and everything else. It was a battle just to keep doc from putting him down. So when I finally got to bring him home, I hit his 'tickle' spot, so he would bicycle his leg by himself. He hated PT and would fight the motions. So I let him do it himself. When you are finally allowed to do water therapy, that will be a big plus!
Best to you!
Karen, Andy's ^i^ mom
Lethal White Aussies Rule!
INTERACTIVE RESCUE SITE!
http://www.s8.createphpbb.com/lethalwhiteauss/
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/LethalWhiteAussieRescue/
GabrielDeafBlindPupFamily

Re: My dog has FCE too, Karen, I'm just east of Beaufort!

Post by GabrielDeafBlindPupFamily »

Aiken is probably less than 3 hours from me. take 278 the whole way (practicallly) I am so pleased to hear they have a good facility there! And that they enjoy and encourage your telephone calls!
I'm on St. Helena Island, east of Beaufort (out inna watah) so if there is anything I can do, let me know.
Best to you.
Karen, Andy's ^i^ mom
Lethal White Aussies Rule!
INTERACTIVE RESCUE SITE!
http://www.s8.createphpbb.com/lethalwhiteauss/
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/LethalWhiteAussieRescue/
CarolC

Post by CarolC »

maddiesmom wrote:we are having a tough time right now because maddie's medicine she is taking (previcox) is giving her the runs - so we are having to clean her and everthing else around her about every 3 hours.

i am still waiting to hear back from my neurologist on whether we can start with the water physical therapy or not...
Yikes!!! I would take her off the Previcox right away. There are plenty of other arthritis medications that won't cause that. That is not an acceptable side effect and it isn't an antibiotic so you should be safe to just stop it and call your vet to get something else. My dog had that reaction to Rimadyl. They hadn't warned me.

As for water therapy, I hate to tell you this, but they may not want to put a dog with diarrhea in their pool or treadmill. My dog's first physical therapist described what is involved with cleaning an underwater treadmill after a dog messes in it. It takes 2 people a couple of hours to drain, disassemble, sanitize, and reassemble it. Any other appointments are out of luck so they lose money and inconvenience other clients. It is a big problem. She said any time a dog is going to mess in the treadmill, she just prays "Oh, please let it be 'formed'".

Sorry...
maddiesmom

Post by maddiesmom »

Hi - How is Bully doing? (i noticed his name on the title as soon as I sent the last mail - my bad) We couldn't start PT because we didn't hear back from the neurologist and now he is on vacation! But the water therapy woman said she could move forward with a note from our regular vet. Is Bully making progress with all that wonderful therapy?
Love is always worth it.
maddiesmom

Post by maddiesmom »

Hi Carol -

thanks for your input. Maddie has now been off the previcox for 48 hours and we are feeding her just chicken and brown rice - so hopefully the diarrhea will subside.

And hopefully we can start some physical therapy diarrhea-free next week.

How long have you heard the recovery times taking? Maddie has movement in her tail and legs but when I have her stand, her toes are still curling.
Love is always worth it.