Harley Update & Question

Neurological Disorders Resources. Treatment and care for pets having pain or trouble walking or standing due to spinal injuries or neurological disorders like IVDD, FCE and DM.
Jane Scott

Harley Update & Question

Post by Jane Scott »

Harley is still going strong. He writes wonderful pee pictures on the sidewalk and is getting better and better at going up and down slopes (the lawn slopes towards the Land Rover). His favorite - always wants to go for a ride in the "truck"!
The 'pimples' according to the last vet - turned out not to be 'pimples' but a staph infection - I'm soooo glad we switched vets. Harley's skin is finally clearing up by using antibotics. So, he should be right as rain soon.
He's still chasing the big ball we got him after discovering he prefers big rather than small balls - spent all last summer (our first with him - he's adopted) watching us toss and fetch the small ball - good humans!!!
So; now for the question - his tail has turned into an opossums tail - it seems to curl under even when he is holding it up. This has only begun in the last couple of weeks. Anyone with any ideas or have seen this in their downed pup?
[/i]
Cindidoxiemom

Re: Harley Update & Question

Post by Cindidoxiemom »

Jane~
I'm glad Harley is doing so well, just please remember that his back is prone to problems. No jumping or "sit pretty", and no stairs. Staph infections are not all that uncommon in dogs who have been on prednisone. I'm glad you got it identified and treated.
The tail thing is probably a residual of neuroloigical damage. Hunter's tail stick straight out with absolutely no bend and is always perfectly horizontal to his body. I think his tail is also a residual of the neurological damage.
Try to make sure Harley takes it easy.
It was good to get the update :D
Cindi
I am not a vet; please consult your vet before making any treatment decisions.

Hunter IVDD Surgery x 2~Walking
Oscar IVDD Surgery x 1~ Paralyzed
Sage and Misty
connie

Re: Harley Update & Question

Post by connie »

hi jane.
cricket's tail wasn't cut as a yorkie is supposed to be when he was born. and after his disk ruptured i noticed his curling under.
when i did his p.t., i would also include his tail. i moved it right and left and kept it straight. it helped and he no longer curls.
i am so happy your babe is doing great, but take it easy, make sure it had enough crate rest. don't overdo. and am happy you got the infection under control.
keep us updated, and hug that fur kid from me. cricekt sends wet slurps too. lol.
my boy has come so far, i am a proud mom, but we have long way ahead, still p.t. and hyrotherapy.
take care,
connie and cricket