Hydrotherapy?

Neurological Disorders Resources. Treatment and care for pets having pain or trouble walking or standing due to spinal injuries or neurological disorders like IVDD, FCE and DM.
doxiemom

Hydrotherapy?

Post by doxiemom »

Emmy (our 4 yr old dachshund that just had surgery for dislodged disk) is coming along very nicely. We got her a rear harness, and she scutters about the yard, happy to mobile even for a short time. She now has deep pain sensation in her rear feet and tail. We do exercises with her back legs every day, and she pushes back with her feet sometimes. So the feeling is returning slowly. But the vet says hydrotherapy will really help her and she's ready. But I need some info on what to expect, how to proceed, how long to do it, etc. I know the water needs to be just deep enough that she can't stand up in it. I have a large plastic rectangular shaped container that I think will work. But I just want to do everything right. Any help would be appreciated!
Cindidoxiemom

Re: Hydrotherapy?

Post by Cindidoxiemom »

Hi..Glad to hear Emmy is doing so well.
Water therapy can be very beneficial as it allows dogs to work their legs without carrying their full body weight.

You want the water to come to the top of their leg where it attaches to the body. YOU DOOOOOO WANT them to walk in the water with their feet touching the base. As they become stronger, you lower the water level so that they are bearing more weight.

I did Oscar's in the bathtub. I walked him back and forth, and let him work on weight shifting. You need a bathtub or kiddie pool for this really to be effective as you are wanting them to "walk" around. A kiddie pool would allow you to be in there and assist her in walking.

TRUE water treadmills force the dog to walk up hill in the water. Oscar also did this up at A&M and it was VERY effective. The idea is to try to replicate that at home.
Hope this helps.

Cindi
I am not a vet; please consult your vet before making any treatment decisions.

Hunter IVDD Surgery x 2~Walking
Oscar IVDD Surgery x 1~ Paralyzed
Sage and Misty
connie

Post by connie »

hi, i do cricket in bathtub 3 times a week.for 20 minutes. he had surgery last year for ruptured disk and is getting deep pain back after 9 months. he is a yorkie mix. anyway he loves it, he paddles and walks great in water. sometimes i get in tub with him and move his back legs like a bcycicle. it has really helped him. keep us updated on your babe, i wish her all the best. sounds like your doing all the right things.
hugs,
connie and cricket
Shani

Post by Shani »

Hershey won't walk around in the kiddie pool. He just kinda sits there. The pool isn't all that big, it was tough finding a pool when a 100 degree heat wave was going on, but it's enough that he can walk around.

Any suggestions? Or does anyone know where to find a hydrotherapy center with the treadmill in the Philadelphia area?
FYI

Post by FYI »

Shani wrote:does anyone know where to find a hydrotherapy center with the treadmill in the Philadelphia area?
Find an underwater treadmill

More links for treadmills
BethT

Post by BethT »

Hi Shani,

I live in South Jersey and I have been taking my paralyzed dog Waffles to hydrotherapy at a place called PetPT (www.petpt.com) in Cherry Hill, NJ. They have a pool and an underwater treadmill. If it is close enough for you check it out.
BethT
Shani

Post by Shani »

Thanks! You guys are awesome! :D
Murphy's Dad

Horse Farms

Post by Murphy's Dad »

Also contact horse farms and horse training facilities. Many have pools that allow the swimming of dogs.

Murphy did his therapy at Showplace Farms near Englishtown, NJ. Great staff, good facilities, inexpensive too.

http://www.showplacefarms.com/therapy.htm

Murphy started with a life jacket.

Then progressed to not needing one.
always Murphy's Dad (Summer and Kali's too!)
Visit Murphy's World - http://www.mybeagleworld.com/murphy
My Beagle World Founder- http://www.mybeagleworld.com
ems736336

Post by ems736336 »

Have you tried having someone walk around the outside of the pool with a treat or a favorite toy or something so your baby wants to walk in the water? If that might work, remember to let the dog get ahold of the toy or treat once in awhile so it stays fun.