where can I find dogsitters for paralyzed dogs

Neurological Disorders Resources. Treatment and care for pets having pain or trouble walking or standing due to spinal injuries or neurological disorders like IVDD, FCE and DM.
Anna

where can I find dogsitters for paralyzed dogs

Post by Anna »

Hi,
This is Dylan's mom and I am wondering if anyone can help me find people who can help care for my dog when I am out of town. If anyone out there is willing to help and lives in southern California, please let me know. Otherwise, I am not sure how/where to find a non-traditional or special needs dog sitter, especially one that would be able to flip my dog every 4 hours. Have any of you been able to go on vacation for 2-3 weeks and have someone watch/care for your dog?? Advice? I know someone on here found vet techs to watch their dog, but how can I contact them outside of their job/work (where I am assuming they would get in trouble for negotiating side jobs)? thanks for your help, Anna
critters
Founding Member

Re: where can I find dogsitters for paralyzed dogs

Post by critters »

I've never known a vet person to get in trouble for side jobs; in fact, all the vets I know encourage it if they have an employee who's interested. Call ALL the vets in your area, even the ones you don't use, and see if they can recommend somebody. You might even put a rough location here on the bb to see if anybody's nearby and willing to help. If all else fails, maybe the vet would board and/or take your baby home; I know 1 vet that does that for critical-type cases.
Cindidoxiemom

Re: where can I find dogsitters for paralyzed dogs

Post by Cindidoxiemom »

I have had my Vet Tech's come to my house 3 times a day...one of them will do overnight stays if necessary.

I took Oscar to Texas A&M this summer when I was in Europe for 2 1/2 weeks...It wasn't cheap, but my Surgeon admitted him as a rehab patient ,and they took excellent care of him.

There are some regular pet sitters that know how to express, and turn animals.

You just have to get on the phone and start calling. It took me several days to find options for Oscar, but they are out there. Also...ask you vet if there is another family with a paralyzed pet that might be willing to trade services....
Cindi
I am not a vet; please consult your vet before making any treatment decisions.

Hunter IVDD Surgery x 2~Walking
Oscar IVDD Surgery x 1~ Paralyzed
Sage and Misty