Splint keeps sliding out of position

Neurological Disorders Resources. Treatment and care for pets having pain or trouble walking or standing due to spinal injuries or neurological disorders like IVDD, FCE and DM.
Cindy Westerdale

Splint keeps sliding out of position

Post by Cindy Westerdale »

Hi everyone, I bought Valo the foreleg splint from handicapped pets (He has nerve damage to his right front paw from being hit by a car). I'm having trouble getting it to stay in place. Any suggestions?? His foot seems to slide up the splint. I was wondering if anyone has ever used that "no slip" shelf liner with these splints before? I'm just trying to figure out how he can use the splint so he can try to weight bear some. He is still going for acupuncture weekly. He has proper shoulder and elbow movement now. We're pretty happy about that. We will be moving to Texas soon. I'm so glad we can take all of you with us! Has anyone ever tried a carpal arthrodesis? Any help is greatly appreciated.
Cindy & (of coursse) Valo
Cindidoxiemom

Re: Splint keeps sliding out of position

Post by Cindidoxiemom »

You might try getting him a bootie then putting the bootie in the splint. Sorry this is kind of out of my realm of knowledge.
What area of Texas are you moving to?
I live in the Houston area! Howdy and Welcome to the Lone Star State!
Cindi
I am not a vet; please consult your vet before making any treatment decisions.

Hunter IVDD Surgery x 2~Walking
Oscar IVDD Surgery x 1~ Paralyzed
Sage and Misty
GabrielDeafBlindPupFamily

Post by GabrielDeafBlindPupFamily »

No but that is an excellent idea. I used a knee sock under and over Jude's splint (didn't keep it on, but kept padding in place)
Velcro straps all round as well.
Karen, Andy's ^i^ mom
Lethal White Aussies Rule!
INTERACTIVE RESCUE SITE!
http://www.s8.createphpbb.com/lethalwhiteauss/
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/LethalWhiteAussieRescue/
critters
Founding Member

Post by critters »

Rubbery shelf lining was my first thought--cheap, washable, and disposable.
Cindy Westerdale

Thanks for the help.

Post by Cindy Westerdale »

We are moving to Haslet. I believe it is North of the DFW airport. Around the Alliance Corridor. I can hardly wait. Now if the house will sell this weekend, we'll be on our way!!!! I understand that there is a real good vet school down there somewhere that is on the cutting edge of neuro and ortho. I'm going to investigate them when I get there.
Cindy and (of course) Valo