stairs for paralysis

Neurological Disorders Resources. Treatment and care for pets having pain or trouble walking or standing due to spinal injuries or neurological disorders like IVDD, FCE and DM.
marilynb

stairs for paralysis

Post by marilynb »

stairs for paralysis

I am wondering if anyone has tried touse the doggie stairs for a dog that has paralysis in their back legs? I wouldn't think it would be a good idea for the dog to try to drag himself up. Has anyone had any experience using the doggie stairs?

marilynb
Paul Coover

Re: stairs for paralysis

Post by Paul Coover »

I have the doggie stairs, and 2 of our dachshunds use them all the time to get into and out of bed. Best $40 I ever spent!
Attachments
IMG_8350_1_1_1.JPG
Weinerdogs Rule!
-Paul Coover
http://www.myspace.com/paulcoover

Hello from Kebo, Riley, Willy, Johanna, Pork Chop, Auggie, Buddy, Sadie & Spartacus.

We miss you Pedro...
connie

Post by connie »

i tried them on my little cricket, but he couldn't manage them. so i built him a small ramp at an angle, covered it with sheep skin and he can that. only trouble is, he still wants me to lift him up and down, the lazy bugger. lol. you can try them , see if it works for you, it does for paul it seems. paul i loved the pic, your kids are adorable.
cricket needs more traction to pull hind legs, even if he is getting more deep pain back every day(vet says).
marlyn what caused your dogs to be paralyzed? and how long has it been?
it never hurts to try the stairs i guess, as long as the dog is healed completely. i try something new nearly every day with cricket. let us know in updates ok?
the best of luck to you.
hugs, connie and cricket
marilynb

Post by marilynb »

this message is for Paul coover
I was wondering if your dogs drag their hind legs up the doggie stairs or if they walk up them. I was wondering if it would hurt their legs to drag them up the stairs. My weiner has been down since Oct. He hasa slipped disk. He does have deep pain feelings in his legs and toes. He also gets around on his cart. any info you can give me on the stairs will be appreciated.

Thanks
Paul Coover

Post by Paul Coover »

The 2 that use the stairs can walk with all 4 legs, and the 2 cart dogs that we have do not go up the stairs. I think that if you have a cart dog or a downed dog, a ramp would be much better and easier for them.
Weinerdogs Rule!
-Paul Coover
http://www.myspace.com/paulcoover

Hello from Kebo, Riley, Willy, Johanna, Pork Chop, Auggie, Buddy, Sadie & Spartacus.

We miss you Pedro...
CarolC

Post by CarolC »

The problem with stairs is not just getting scraped dragging up, but tumbling coming down. There are no stairs in my house but when I was visiting family in a split level, I took my paralyzed dog along. I went down the stairs to the lower level for a minute never thinking that my dog might try to follow me. According to what witnesses said, she dragged down the top steps OK but slipped and rolled down the last few.