paralysis to left front leg after hit by car about 2 mo. ago

Neurological Disorders Resources. Treatment and care for pets having pain or trouble walking or standing due to spinal injuries or neurological disorders like IVDD, FCE and DM.
Janice C.

paralysis to left front leg after hit by car about 2 mo. ago

Post by Janice C. »

I spoke with Tiffany and Eros and critters about Buster,about

2 mo. ago .He is still dragging his L front leg. Now he has 3 small

sores on the bottom of his paw where he has been chewing.

Apparently some sensation is returning like you said. The sores

are not infected, but not healing--because we have to keep

the paw wrappped up, and taped; and air cannot get to it and

cause it to scab over. I have a splint. ANY SUGGESTIONS??
critters
Founding Member

Re: paralysis to left front leg after hit by car about 2 mo.

Post by critters »

Sunday I started Buddy, my SCIboy, on gabapentin/Neurontin for his "Itchies," and it's cleared them right up.

Do you use the splint? What kind is it?
Cindy Westerdale

Hi Janice, I know exactly what you're going thru.

Post by Cindy Westerdale »

Valo has the same problem with his right front paw. I got him the high performance, neoprene boot from handicapped pets and it works great. When he is inside and we are watching him , he doesn't wear it much. Unless of course he is paying too much "attention" to it. It is easy to put on and off and is wearing quite well. On another note, have you thought of trying acupuncture with your guy? Valo goes once a week to a vet that does canine acupuncture. He's had about 7 txs and has regained proper shoulder and elbow movement. This past Friday he had electrical acupuncture for the 2nd time and he now has proper foot placement about 50% of the time. He does not weight bear on it much yet, but we are sooo thrilled with his progress. (Valo was hit the day before Memorial day and has brachial plexus avulsion. They wanted to amputate. I'm so glad we waited!!) Well just thought I'd put that out there if you hadn't thought of it.
Good Luck and our prayers are with you,
Cindy & (of course) Valo
critters
Founding Member

Re: paralysis to left front leg after hit by car about 2 mo.

Post by critters »

Tiffany had to reply to you on the public bb; some computer weirdness is keeping her from logging in. http://www.handicappedpets.com/help/vie ... php?t=5812