Bully is coming home today!

Neurological Disorders Resources. Treatment and care for pets having pain or trouble walking or standing due to spinal injuries or neurological disorders like IVDD, FCE and DM.
karkorny

Bully is coming home today!

Post by karkorny »

This has been the longest three weeks of my life. First Bully, my 8-year-old Bullmastiff, was afflicted with FCE which within 24 hours had him paralyzed in all fours. Ended up in a wonderful rehab hospital but had to have emergency surgery on what turned out to be a perforated ulcer. Stress from his situation?? We don't know. Anyway, after being shuttled from emergency hospital to hospital, he's coming home today. I've been obsessed with preparing for him. I bought a cart from Northern Tools, 24X40, on which I've put a baby changing table mattress and it will be his mobile bed. I had someone build a ramp on my back steps to the yard, so he can go outside and enjoy the fresh air. I put my mattress in my room on the floor, so we'll be eye level at night. I may have to learn to catheterize him - terrifying - but the doctor yesterday said he was peeing on his own with a little stimulation. We'll see. A tech who works at my local vet's office has agreed to help me with whatever I need in her off hours, which is a great comfort. This is all so new. But everything I lack in PT skills and nursing abilities, I'll make up for in love and attention. Can't wait to see my boy!
Christine

Re: Bully is coming home today!

Post by Christine »

Dear Karen,

I have been praying with you every inch of the way, Keep the faith and don't forget to take care of yourself too. Sounds you've got a great plan and good help for Bully. That is such good news that you might not have to catheritize him. When I was little, they used to call stubborn people "bull headed" - now that I am older, I like to think that most bull headed people are those who stick to their guns in light of any situation and have a single minded purpose. Your Bully is lucky to have such a "bull headed" mom! We are all pulling for you both.

Love
Christine... and Bailey, playing at the Bridge
?/1999 - 10/25/08
karkorny

Post by karkorny »

Isn't this forum a blessing! The encouragement from everyone is so upbuilding. It also helps me to keep my balance, seeing the problems of a similar nature others are going through with their beloved pets. I'm leaving in a few minutes to go to Columbia, around 2 1/2 hours from Asheville, where I live, and it's pouring rain out, but I don't care. I'm going to have Bully home with me and that's the best thing I could ask for. I have friends who will meet me at my house to help lift him - 100 pounds - out of the car and into the house. Thanks for your prayers and concerns. Karen
GabrielDeafBlindPupFamily

Post by GabrielDeafBlindPupFamily »

Drive carefully, Karen! I know how tickled you are that your Bully is coming home! You will find your self exhausted and overwhelmed at times, but your joy and BULLY'S DELIGHT at being home with make it the most precious memories you have in your life.
Cloudy down here east of Beaufort, and constant massive storm fronts keep knocking out power, downing trees, buzz saws going day and nigiht. It's been like hurricane cleanup here constantly. Hope it's not that bad up your way.
Guess you have Bully's bed and all made up and his toys and all nearby.
Smiles today! :)
Karen, Andy's ^i^ mom
Lethal White Aussies Rule!
INTERACTIVE RESCUE SITE!
http://www.s8.createphpbb.com/lethalwhiteauss/
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/LethalWhiteAussieRescue/
Cindidoxiemom

Post by Cindidoxiemom »

It sounds like you have a great plan. I am glad you have made contact with a good Vet Tech to help you. If you run into problems...call them for help. It is going to take some time to get into a routine, but it will come. BRAVO and I'm down right proud of all you have and are doing for your Bully. He is a lucky dog!
Hugs,
Cindi
I am not a vet; please consult your vet before making any treatment decisions.

Hunter IVDD Surgery x 2~Walking
Oscar IVDD Surgery x 1~ Paralyzed
Sage and Misty
maddiesmom

Post by maddiesmom »

YEAH for Bully - it sounds like you have worked out a great set up for him. It is hard to care for them around the clock but how nice that you will have him home - try and stay positive for him, they know when you are upset and will pick up on that vibe! Best wishes and drive safe!
Love is always worth it.
Mom2AnnaBelle

Post by Mom2AnnaBelle »

How exciting!!!! I can't wait to hear that Bully is back home and comfortable! You have really prepared for his homecoming, and I know he will be so happy!!!

Big Hugs,
Kim
spasmo

Re: YEAH!!! Bully is coming home today!

Post by spasmo »

I am new to the site but I read your story this afternoon and it makes my heart smile to read that your Bully is coming home today! I dont know who it will make happier you or Bully. Y'all have had quite an ordeal and I am so sorry about that. I do love that you are putting your mattress on the floor so you can be eye to eye. I think we will be doing that too when we are lucky enough to bring our girl home.

Best wishes.
Anna B
proud dog hair collector