13 1/2 year old bassett hound that can't walk

Neurological Disorders Resources. Treatment and care for pets having pain or trouble walking or standing due to spinal injuries or neurological disorders like IVDD, FCE and DM.
Barbara Mullen

13 1/2 year old bassett hound that can't walk

Post by Barbara Mullen »

This past week my bassett hound lost use of his rear legs. I have purchased a doggon wheelchair but I am fearful that it will not work. I am from the Greater Boston Massachusetts area. Humphrey is in the animal hospital awaiting his wheelchair. Is there anyone out there that can teach humprey how to us it.
Barbara Mullen
GabrielDeafBlindPupFamily

Re: 13 1/2 year old bassett hound that can't walk

Post by GabrielDeafBlindPupFamily »

FYI just posted this under yours.
here's the link posted:
http://www.wheelchairsfordogs.com/photos.html
Once you get him in chair, you will have to motivate him to use it. With whatever is special to him. Treat? Sing song? Tennis ball? There are a bunch of wheelies here, who will be along and help you, my pups are 'only' deafblind :)
Welcome!
Karen, Andy's ^i^ mom
Lethal White Aussies Rule!
INTERACTIVE RESCUE SITE!
http://www.s8.createphpbb.com/lethalwhiteauss/
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/LethalWhiteAussieRescue/
critters
Founding Member

Post by critters »

What is his diagnosis? Many vets and/or manufacturers don't fit wheels until at least several weeks after the injury/incident in case the critter won't need them, although it's OK to use them as a rehab device, too. Do you know about walking aids? Can he poop and pee on his own?

MANY people here have puppers on wheels, so stick around...
Barbara Mullen

Post by Barbara Mullen »

He totally cannot walk - I cannot take care of him unless he can walk - he's too heavy to carry out - all his functions are normal - he loves to eat and he poops and pees on his own.
I can manage him if he can use the wheelchair to get out in the back yard.
Barbara
Diana R.

Post by Diana R. »

Barbara:

I understand you may have some apprehensions but you really need to give the wheelchair a try first. Humphrey may adapt just fine. I got my dog Jack a wheelchair from the same company and he did just fine. Jack at the time was a puppy and was and still is a very stubborn pit bull. Through physical therapy he is able to walk on his own and so does not use the wheel chair now. But he did just fine with it and could really fly on that thing. Give Humphrey a try on it and please get back to us and let us know how he is doing. Diana R.
Barbara Mullen

Post by Barbara Mullen »

Thank you for your support.
Barbara
Cindidoxiemom

Post by Cindidoxiemom »

Can you please give us his diagnosis? I agree with Critters here...Depending on the diagnosis, putting him in a wheelchair too soon could cause further damage.

I can't really give you proper advice or care instructions until I know what his clinical diagnosis is.

Did they do a CT, Myelogram or MRI? Is he on any medication? Do you have a crate for him? You say he can't walk at all...is he paralyzed in all four limbs?
Please we really need more information.
Cindi
I am not a vet; please consult your vet before making any treatment decisions.

Hunter IVDD Surgery x 2~Walking
Oscar IVDD Surgery x 1~ Paralyzed
Sage and Misty
Barbara Mullen

Post by Barbara Mullen »

I do not know his exact diagnosis. He is thirteen and a half years old. It came from nowhere. My vet has done some testing and has taken it as far as he can.. The next step is a MRI which considering his age and cost - I do not want to put him through. My vet thinks he may improve over time. He is not paraylized - he is on medication - both antibiotics and some sort of steroid - He has had some improvement with his hind legs, he can stand for about five seconds when his paws are placed down on the floor - he couldn't do that at the beginning of the week. He is in no pain and my vet felt that perhaps in time he may improve. He thought he would perhaps do well with the wheelchair. I cannot take care of him unless the wheelchair works - he is over 70lbs. I want him to have some quality of life - that's why I hope the wheel chair will work.
Barbara Mullen

Post by Barbara Mullen »

Also his front two legs are strong. I actually went in on Thursday to put him to sleep - but his vet changed his mind and recommended giving it a little more time.
Barbara
Paul Coover

Post by Paul Coover »

Most dogs take to the wheelchair rather quickly, some take a little longer. You are in Boston? Well, coming up this Wednesday night on CHannel 7 news at 11PM, I am going to be on there with our cart dog Johanna. If you want to see a dog in action in a wheelchair, then check it out! If you have any questions now or especially after you receive the cart, just let us know. Good luck!
Weinerdogs Rule!
-Paul Coover
http://www.myspace.com/paulcoover

Hello from Kebo, Riley, Willy, Johanna, Pork Chop, Auggie, Buddy, Sadie & Spartacus.

We miss you Pedro...
CarolC

Post by CarolC »

Hi Barbara,

I want to echo what Critters and Cindi said. Crate rest sounds like a good idea. Bassets are long bodied dogs who can develop disk problems that cause trouble walking. If you aren't doing a myelogram/surgery (understandable because of his age) then the treatment is crate rest, often with steroids. I would recommend you start out with a walking harness instead of the cart.

http://www.handicappedpets.com/Mobility ... arness.htm

Normally if you suspect a disk problem, which is a reasonable guess in this case considering the breed, the dog is put on strict crate rest for several weeks. I've had 2 dogs put on crate rest for 4 weeks, but 6 weeks or longer is common. The dog only comes out to potty, then right back in he goes. Since your dog can stand a little, you could help him outside with the harness, then bring him back in. Since he is a heavy dog, it would be easier to crate him in an exercise pen. If you put him in a crate, it will be awkward getting him in and out of the crate. With an exercise pen you just open the sides and walk him out.

Dogs carry 60% of their weight on the front legs and 40% on the hind legs. So you would be lifting about 28 pounds. That may be too much (I don't know if you have a back problem or heart trouble, etc.) and if it is then I guess you have to use the chair. As he rests and recovers he will carry more and more of his own weight, so hopefully you are only lugging 28 lbs for a short while.

The cart company I dealt with for my paralyzed dog did not recommend putting a dog in a cart until 6 weeks post injury. I had the cart before then but had to wait to use it. If you let him rest he may recover and never need the cart. If he has too much activity, his condition could actually get worse as others said. Then you could have a dog who not only can't walk, but lacks bladder control. I think it would be preferable to just rest him and keep his activity to a minimum for several weeks. (I'm sorry if I don't understand your situation and said the wrong thing. I could not lift a 70-lb dog either, so that part I understand.)
Cindidoxiemom

Post by Cindidoxiemom »

I'm going to agree 100%. Forget about the cart for now. If this is a disc problem it could make things much worse.

Crate rest as per Carol's instructions. He should only be out to potty. Get a harness for his rear for now.

If this is IVDD (disc disease) it could get worse. The chances of it getting worse will increase if crate rest isn't used. Those of us with IVDD dogs have seen it 1000000000000 times hon. We are speaking from experience.

I hope you will consider what we have said.
Cindi

Sage and Misty
Barbara Mullen

Post by Barbara Mullen »

My vet seems to think it is a spine problem and the cart would be the best option. He thinks it is some sort of injury which humphrey will come back from over time. He seems to be very concerned with humphrey just laying around because of bed sores.
marilynb

Post by marilynb »

Dear Barbara
I have a dashund on wheels and the way I got him to usse his wheels was to put his colar and leash and walk him around the house he loved it,now he walks around the house as well as on the deck. I hope this helps.

Marilynb
Cindidoxiemom

Post by Cindidoxiemom »

Barbara,
I would tell you to go to Dodger's list and read about the need for crate rest, but I don't think it would do any good as you have made up your mind.
I'm going to post the address anyway, because I'm not going to sit by and not say what I have learned to be the best for a back injured dog.

Here are their care instructions based on over 1000 IVDD and back injured dogs. The vast majority recovered with proper care.
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Dodgerslist/message/76117

I wish you and your dog well Barbara, but I'll be honest in saying I think you are not treating him properly. I'm not a vet, I am just saying this as the mom of two dogs with IVDD and someone who has seen this disease in so many dogs.
If you don't belive what so many of us have said about crate rest, go to Dodger's and you will hear it from 100's more.

Good luck and I will pray for your baby,
Cindi

Sage and Misty