DIY orthopedic bed on the cheap

Neurological Disorders Resources. Treatment and care for pets having pain or trouble walking or standing due to spinal injuries or neurological disorders like IVDD, FCE and DM.
maddiesmom

DIY orthopedic bed on the cheap

Post by maddiesmom »

I was looking for an orthopedic bed for our 10-year-old black lab maddie who has FCE, when I noticed that Target has those Memory Foam bed toppers on sale this week for $15.99 for a twin size. I cut it into to pieces and inserted it into her regular bed - the orthopedic beds I found online were $200+ so I thought that was a good deal - thought I'd pass it along.

Also, update on Maddie - she now is moving her tail and BOTH of her legs (as of this morning) still not using them to walk or stand and I know it is a long road ahead.
Love is always worth it.
Dianne

Re: DIY orthopedic bed on the cheap

Post by Dianne »

This is really clever. It goes in our clever,cheap file for future reference. You sure did save a bundle!

D
Christine

Post by Christine »

What a great idea! I jut bought a couple of dog bed patterns and had decided to use a quilt I found at a thrift store for the outside, but was debating on what to use inside ...now, thanks to you, I'm ready to roll! The quilt was $2 so now we'll have a great bed for under $20...not bad.

Thanks!
Christine... and Bailey, playing at the Bridge
?/1999 - 10/25/08
maddiesmom

Post by maddiesmom »

this forum has been so good for me, i'm glad i could contribute!
Love is always worth it.
Christine

Post by Christine »

I went to Walmart today to see what they were charging for the Memory Foam toppers and here, in Georgia, they are $48!!

I asked them if they would price match and they said they would if it was exactly the same thing and I could show them an ad. I checked the internet and the cheapest Memory Foam they show is a pillow for $19.99 - but this is their on-line store.

Would you, by any chance, still have your receipt or an ad that you could scan and email to me? If you can and it is an easy thing for you, my email is butterflymornings_1@yahoo.com. If it would take you more than a couple of minutes, don't worry about it.

Also, forgot to tell you how happy I am for you that Maddie is showing improvement! It's amazing how the smallest things make us happy with our babies and how petty grievances just aren't worth time anymore.

Love,
?/1999 - 10/25/08
maddiesmom

Post by maddiesmom »

I can't find my receipt but I went on the web site and put in weekly ad and put my zip code, 90266. then on page 3 was the memory foam mattress topper - here is the link, i hope you can get to it this way:

http://weeklyad.target.com/target/circu ... 2094622167&

i hope this works. since i am new to the site, i don't know the condition of your sweet dog - how adorable is that picture!
Love is always worth it.
Christine

Post by Christine »

Thanks...the link worked, but looks like only the pillow in this ad is $15. I'll keep looking and I will call the Target close to me.

My Bailey is just as precious as her picture. She came to me as an abused stray about 5 years ago. In February, 2005, she unexplicably went blind and then had problems with her liver and thyroid. After 3 months of tlc, 2 traditional vets and a holistic vet, endless hours researching the internet, supplements, prayer and homemade food, her liver and thyroid returned to normal and her sight came back!

This past February, she went through vestibular syndrome, which, if you don't know what is going on is devastating. After nearly a month of carrying her in and out and using a hip sling (given to me by a wonderful board member), her balance returned, but she lost her sight again. About six weeks ago, her liver levels rose again so she just finished another round of antibiotics and prednisone. I will be taking her in for blood check next week. Right now, she seems fine except for the blindness. I am hanging on to the fact that it returned once before and could happen again.

This site is a comfort and an education to all of us who love our babies. Glad you found it too!

Love,
?/1999 - 10/25/08
GabrielDeafBlindPupFamily

Christine & Bailey, OT blindness

Post by GabrielDeafBlindPupFamily »

Christine, she is absolutely adorable. If you find you need any help with blindness, post there, and I'll hop right over. I have two blindpups, one of whom is deaf... They are pups. One is coming up on 3 years old, the other just turned 2.
Karen, Andy's ^i^ mom
Lethal White Aussies Rule!
INTERACTIVE RESCUE SITE!
http://www.s8.createphpbb.com/lethalwhiteauss/
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/LethalWhiteAussieRescue/
maddiesmom

Post by maddiesmom »

wow! what a story - she is lucky to have you for a mom! it sounds like she has a lot of determination. she looks like a dog we used to have named Waldo Pepper - he just decided that he was going to live with us one day - he started camping out on our doorstep and never left (and that was okay with us!)

if i'm ever feeling down, i always like to go on this site and look at all the positive stories of how these great animals can make such good comebacks! dogs rule!
Love is always worth it.
Christine

Re: Christine & Bailey, OT blindness

Post by Christine »

Hi Karen,

I've read everything you written and gone to your website - you've already taught me so much and it is good to know you are here if we need you.

Love,
?/1999 - 10/25/08
connie

Post by connie »

congrats maddie, keep using them legs and wagging that tail.
remember" a thousand miles begins with just one step"!
if cricket can overcome all he has, i know you can .
and maddie's mom, keep up good work, these are the updates i love to read.
hugs to you
and
a slurp from cricket
maddiesmom

Post by maddiesmom »

thanks connie & cricket!
Love is always worth it.