Latest in the Bully Saga

Neurological Disorders Resources. Treatment and care for pets having pain or trouble walking or standing due to spinal injuries or neurological disorders like IVDD, FCE and DM.
karkorny

Latest in the Bully Saga

Post by karkorny »

Well, Bully is back at Reach, our local emergency hospital (in other words, about $800-$1000!). I'm going to get him this morning and will take him to my local vet. He seemed constipated yesterday evening and we (my vet's tech and I) gave him an enema, and the problems began. He was obviously painful, couldn't pass anything. She used a glove and removed something - fecal matter with a 1X4-inch piece of latex in it! She left, I did the same a little later when he seemed in distress, removed gauze in fecal matter. Anyway, took him to the hospital, they did x-rays, barium x-rays, withdrew abdomen fluid, trying to see if the perforated ulcer they had done surgery on had re-perforated. We don't think it did. I called during the night and they said he had a "big blow-out" of diahrrea and seems more comfortable. Obviously when they did surgery, some "stuff" got into his tummy. It's probably been preventing him from going. I pray he survives this trauma now! What my poor Bully has been through! Also, the vet there couldn't understand why I'm catheterizing him myself. Is that a complaint others get? He feels a permanent cath would be less risky as regards infection. And really, while he's recovering from surgery, he can't do any real therapy for his paralysis anyway. He has an IV and the catheter, and they want my local vet to observe him for any other signs of perforation. There was a lot of blood in his stool, which is to be expected after the surgery last week, since he apparently hadn't really eliminated anything new since then. As regards his paralysis, he was really moving last night when he was in pain and distress! As awful as it is to see him hurting, I was encouraged to see the movement. WHat else can go wrong!!! Karen
Christine

Re: Latest in the Bully Saga

Post by Christine »

Stay strong, Karen. We are all praying for you and your sweet Bully. He isn't ready to give up and he's letting you know it.

Love,
Christine... and Bailey, playing at the Bridge
?/1999 - 10/25/08
critters
Founding Member

Post by critters »

You're right--I don't think I've heard of so many problems, not even with some of mine!! The poor boy must be SOO glad to be rid of all that junk!! Maybe that's the last of the problems.
CarolC

Post by CarolC »

Hi Karen,

Are you saying the surgeon left a surgical glove and a piece of gauze inside his stomach? Is it possible he just ate some things left within reach in his cage at the hospital? Has he ever eaten socks or anything before? It doesn't seem right you should have to pay all that money for a problem created by their error. Your dog has paid enough for it. Thank goodness he's better. (Yes, the movement is a bright spot.)
Dianne

Post by Dianne »

"Obviously when they did surgery, some "stuff" got into his tummy."

Yep, it's possible they left this "stuff" inside when they did the surgery. Even if he ATE the latex and gauze later...how would he have had access to it? You've got to wonder how this happened. It would appear to me that this is a vet error, and that YOU should NOT have to shoulder the entire cost of the return visit.

Perhaps you could discuss this with the vet and get some explanation about how this happened...and maybe a break on the cost.

Dianne
Cindidoxiemom

Post by Cindidoxiemom »

My Lord! You two have been thought toooo much! Bully is such a fighter, and you are such a good mom! Bless your heart. I agree that you should not be responsible for this emergency trip given that latex and gauze was found inside of him...MY GOSH! I will continue to keep both of you in my prayers!
Cindi
I am not a vet; please consult your vet before making any treatment decisions.

Hunter IVDD Surgery x 2~Walking
Oscar IVDD Surgery x 1~ Paralyzed
Sage and Misty
GabrielDeafBlindPupFamily

Post by GabrielDeafBlindPupFamily »

Oh! Karen!
It's hard to type when I have my hand over my mouth mumbling OMG...
I am so glad Bully's holding his own, and I am completely in agreement with CarolC & Dianne, that the vet needs to 'eat' this one!
OMG....
Karen, Andy's ^i^ mom
Lethal White Aussies Rule!
INTERACTIVE RESCUE SITE!
http://www.s8.createphpbb.com/lethalwhiteauss/
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/LethalWhiteAussieRescue/
spasmo

Post by spasmo »

I am just stunned that y'all have had such and ordeal. I agree with everyone else... you are a WONDERFUL Mom and you deserve an explanation as to how the gauze and latex got into Bully's stomach. I cant think of an acceptable answer for that one... really I cant.

I pray that Bully is now safely on the mend and that Bully doesn't have any more medical procedures to deal with. I am glad to read that he can feel discomfort. Not that I like reading that one of our four-legged kids are uncomfortable, but I like that he felt something and that he was moving something. To me that seems like progress. I am a newbie, and I dont know exactly what it means, but as a dog Mom I like anything that looks like it could be progress.

Best wishes to you and Bully!
Anna B
proud dog hair collector