Bully Update

Neurological Disorders Resources. Treatment and care for pets having pain or trouble walking or standing due to spinal injuries or neurological disorders like IVDD, FCE and DM.
karkorny

Bully Update

Post by karkorny »

I haven't been able to sit down at my computer and post anything because I have been totally consumed by my care for Bully. The last time I posted he was at Reach, the local emergency hospital, where he ended up when my vet thought we should give him an enema because he wasn't really going to the bathroom. Aside from that, he had been doing pretty well after the perforated ulcer surgery. Once we gave the enema, we found latex and what we thought was gauze - actually pieces of a rug - in his poop. Then the diarreah started and it progressed to blood, with great anxiety and pain for Bully. The day after I brought him home from this episode, I took him back to Greenville, SC, the original place that diagnosed his FCE just 2 1/2 weeks ago - could it really only be that short a time since this nightmare began!! They're trying to get what they're calling colitis under control now, making some headway. I'm terrified my dog is going to just give up after being through so much! But his temp is good, his white cell count is good, so hopefully he's not as worn out as I am. On the catheterizing front, which was causing me much anxiety - we've come to realize he can control his bladder. When home, I took him into the yard and got him on the grass and he peed. So my plan is to start doing that multiple times a day until he realizes he's going to have to pee laying down. I'll try again to find the bladder and jumpstart him. I just want him home again so I can begin his rehab and get him moderately well. His movement on his left side is good, still absolutely nothing on the right. But I believe that will come. He'll probably be in Greenville through the weekend. I'm now at $6,000!! I don't care if it's $60,000 if I can bring my boy home and make him happy.
Attachments
Here's Bully being put in my car last week by a couple of the techs in Greenville.
Here's Bully being put in my car last week by a couple of the techs in Greenville.
connie

Re: Bully Update

Post by connie »

poor bully,
what he has been through and you too, i know the stress.
hey i had trouble expressing cricket, so i tried other things and the last one worked and we are still using it. what i do is hold cricket, take a damp wet towelette, and rub it gently back and forth on tip of his penis . he pees completely when we do that, i had a vet check him while i did it. she said it must be a nreve.
anyway i know your boy is big, but maybe you could put pads under him and try this method and see if it works?
we have been doing it this way for 8 months and he has never gotten an infection, i have to do it 3 or 4 times to empty completely, but it WORKS!.
the best of luck to you, your both in my prayers!
cricket sends bully a wet slurp.
hugs,
connie
Christine

Post by Christine »

Bless your heart... and sweet Bully is blessed to have you for a mom. I was just thinking about you two last night. That is good news that you don't have to use the catheter. How is he eating? One of the other girls talked about oatmeal and sweet potatoes helping with loose stools for their baby, wonder if that would help with coitis. You are doing a wonderful job - did you ever think you would know as much as you have learned in the past few weeks about medical care?? Take care of yourself too and keep us posted. Let us be your shoulder..we are all praying for you both.

Love,
Christine... and Bailey, playing at the Bridge
?/1999 - 10/25/08
karkorny

Post by karkorny »

Thanks for the support. It means a lot. I've tried the penis-stimulation. I think my boy is just so well-trained that peeing in his bed is not an option for him till he can't hold it anymore. I've got to learn to press on the bladder, but thus far haven't found it. THey're going to show me where it is at the hospital when I take him home. At the rehab place where he was for the first week after the paralysis, they said he always peed and pooped in their yard when they took him out and "encouraged' him. So I'm sure I can do the same at home. Getting him out is a project, just because of the lay of my house and yard and because of his size. But I can do it. Again, apologies for being so self-centered. I know you all have problems too. Once I get Bully well and into a rehab routine I think I'll have much to offer others. Thanks again for all your kind words! Karen
CarolC

Post by CarolC »

Hi Karen,

That's great about the bladder control! Another option would be to let him urinate indoors, do you think he would? That's a lot of carrying for you and he's not a small dog. You'd be moving him around less (thinking of the surgery). Also, you want to watch him for any signs of bladder infection. When a dog is recovering from FCE and bladder control begins to return, it may not be 100% yet. He may urinate but not empty completely, either because he can't feel he needs to go more or because he doesn't have complete muscle control. If you let him urinate indoors on an incontinent pad or into a male wrap, you can check the color and odor of the urine better than if he goes in the grass. Here is a link to read about male wraps:

https://www.handicappedpets.com/mediawiki/index.php/Diapers_and_male_wraps

Here is what incontinent pads (underpads) look like if you go to Walgreens. They are sold in the adult diapers aisle in places like Wal-Mart, too. You could also use puppytraining pads under him. Underpads or puppy pads won't be enough to keep his coat dry, they are too thin. The urine will tend to flow toward the low point in the bed which is under his hip and then you'll have to bathe him (been there done that). A male wrap is much more absorbent and will catch it properly and the underpad will protect the bed from possible leakage. I believe Critters pees her male cat into a disposable baby diaper.

karkorny

Post by karkorny »

So far, the only time Bully has peed in his bed is when he's been about to pop. He starts whining, it escalates, he actually squirms all over the place, then he goes. I feel so sorry for him when that happens. I bought a really good wagon from Northern Tools that I can take him outside on, so hopefully my plan will work. He still needs encouragement because he thinks he has to be standing. When I took him out the other day, he was pulling himself so hard with his good (better) side, trying to stand, I'm sure, that he actually moved several feet in the grass. Then he finally couldn't hold it any longer and he went. I will watch carefully, maybe try to catch some urine in a bottle to watch the color. That's a good thing for me to be aware of. I'm at work, waiting for a call from the hospital between 8:30 and 9:30. I'm a nervous wreck! Hopefully today's report will be good, although they've already told me the earliest he could potentially come home is Saturday.
critters
Founding Member

Post by critters »

Yep. Jean pees Jaime into a diaper, too; they're SO much more absorbent than anything else I found, so the pee doesn't come rolling back on him or anywhere else. The key was to find a size of a suitable "target" since Buddy's gun was shooting all over the room. LOL
Cindidoxiemom

Post by Cindidoxiemom »

Well bless your heart. I too was thinking of you guys yesterday. Just an FYI. A dog can have an UTI with NO obvious signs or symptoms ie smell, color change etc. This happend to Oscar. I take him in once every 3 months to check for UTI's because he is paralyzed. He had no symptoms on his first check, but did have a UTI.

Since you are so consciencious and informed, I know you understand about Bully emptying his bladder fully.

Plain pumpkin filling (no spices) can also help with bowel issues like you are having.
I am just amazed at how well you have handled all the obstacles that you and Bully have had to face. You are a wonderful furry mom!
Hugs,
Cindi
I am not a vet; please consult your vet before making any treatment decisions.

Hunter IVDD Surgery x 2~Walking
Oscar IVDD Surgery x 1~ Paralyzed
Sage and Misty
spasmo

Post by spasmo »

Karen,
I am so glad to see a Bullly and Karen update! Y'all have had QUITE an ordeal in the last two and a half weeks. I have been checking this site every morning to see if you had logged in and updated. I am by no means an expert on FCE (I had never heard of it before a week and a half ago)... Augusta and I are only a little over a week into it... but from what I am learning there are some encouraging signs for y'all... Bully has bladder control and he is not down in all four legs... and did I read in your last post that he had some discomfort? That could be a good sign... has your vet said anything about that? Is there any hydro-therapists in your area? Augusta has responded REALLY well to the water treadmill. Our baby was down in all four legs and we are grateful that she is now walking on her own. It is not graceful but with aggressive therapy she is back up.

And as far as the great cath debate and the possibility of infections... our Augusta has been getting great care at A&M since she went down and still managed to get a UTI... so it can happen to anyone... she is responding great to antibiotics for her infection. I guarantee that they were totally sanitary with everything... but sometimes UTIs happen, and thats what antibiotics are for. For what it is worth... I got a UTI after I was cathed after my last surgery... it can happen to anyone.

I stand by what I said before... you are a wonderful Mom and the world needs more caring people like you in it!

Best wishes for you and Bully and I am always here for you.
Anna
Anna B
proud dog hair collector